Post-Game Talk: 2018 Tank Postmortem: Vancouver finishes 6th-last

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
7/10 tank night cause of the loss and Buffalo gaining ground on us.

Arizona losing was a damper on that, but they're playing for pride right now, and I expect them to end up a good 5-6 points ahead of us by the end of the season.

Buffalo are our true challengers, imo.
they got eichel back so hopefully can pick up some w's

Reactions: clunk

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Was a big loss with Buffalo right at our heels.

Vegas next which is another guaranteed L

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
I originally want to tank in order to get a high pick AND have benning removed from GM. Well now its all about the high pick.
This year its CRITICAL to get 1st overall. Not only because Dahlin has franchise Dman potential, not only because he is what our roster sorely needs, and not only because he fills the biggest weakness in our lineup. The MAIN reason is if we draft at the #2 or #3 slot, I can totally see benning going off the board and pick a D anyways, passing Svech or Zadina. It will be 2016 once again and the management group will say "we are very deep up front" (we are not), "we haven't drafted a D high very often" etc. Then some rival team will pick the F we left and we'll have to watch the F lighting us up for years.
We NEED the lotto to save benning from himself!
If we fall to 4th and he goes for a D, then no problem. So please lottery, either 1st or 4th, save me the disappointment of benning being benning!

Defensemen and a winger.......I'm a tanker from way back in the day, but goddamn it, I'm not buying the current "Defenseman mania" sweeping the NHL

And THE LAST thing we need is a CORNERSTONE WINGER, (BTW you guys realize that Peterson is going to be an NHL winger right? If he's been moved to wing in the SHL there isn't a chance in HELL he plays center in the NHL, thinking Peterson is going to be a center would be straight up delusional at this point)

Teams built on wingers DON'T WIN CUPS

I want another frigging center! So we can, y'know...maybe win a cup or something?

A bunch of scoring wingers and one great defenseman is not a good team make up, at some point either Peterson or Boesser (or Svetch if that's where we end up) Virtanen and Joulevi (If they still have any value) are going to have to be dealt for a center or the chance to draft one,

The potential best-case scenario is NOT going to get the job done, and we don't want to be locked down by huge contracts with star wingers, the guys need to be dealt while they are still cost effective to get the center we need.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Defensemen and a winger.......I'm a tanker from way back in the day, but goddamn it, I'm not buying the current "Defenseman mania" sweeping the NHL

And THE LAST thing we need is a CORNERSTONE WINGER, (BTW you guys realize that Peterson is going to be an NHL winger right? If he's been moved to wing in the SHL there isn't a chance in HELL he plays center in the NHL, thinking Peterson is going to be a center would be straight up delusional at this point)

I want another frigging center! So we can, y'know...maybe win a cup or something?

A bunch of scoring wingers and one great defenseman is not a good team make up, at some point either Peterson or Boesser (or Svetch if that's where we end up) Virtanen and Joulevi (If they still have any value) are going to have to be dealt for a center or the chance to draft one,

The potential best-case scenario is NOT going to get the job done, and we don't want to be locked down by huge contracts with star wingers, the guys need to be dealt while they are still cost effective to get the center we need.
Pettersson played center this year and his coach says he can play c in the NHL.

Reactions: Bovinder Horvatji

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

We been through this before
Pettersson plays wing because there are enough quality veteran centre on Vaxjoe, he did play C a couple games and look great.
Whether he plays RW or C is to be determined in the future, but generally smart player can play centre effectively

Reactions: Stardustforever

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I agree that championship teams are generally built through the middle, and you can never have too many solid pivots.

Our centre depth going forward, ideally, should be Horvat, Pettersson, Gaudette, Sutter, Gaunce. But there are big x factors. We know what Horvat, Sutter and Gaunce are, and Sutter's contract aside, all are fine if they are played appropriately. Pettersson and Gaudette are unknowns, the former as to whether he can hang at centre, the latter as to whether he can even play in the NHL. (I'm going to go ahead and assume that Pettersson can play at this level, either at C or at W.) This could be an enormous strength of the team going forward, or a serious need depending on how those two pan out. Either way we likely won't know for a few years.

We have 1 solid first line winger (Brock), 1 second liner (Sven) and then a bunch of maybes (Lind, Gadj, Virtanen, Leipsic, Dahlen) and a whole lot of nonsense and filler (Gagner, Ericksson, Motte et al). So the winger position is still in need of help. Svetch or Zadina would hugely solidify our top line going forward. We also know that Benning will have a hard time not throwing a big contract offer towards Kane this offseason.

Goaltending is set for the next decade, barring a Demko disaster.

It is defense where we are weakest in the present and future, obviously. I suspect Tanev gets moved, and that Edler continues his regression. Stecher is fine as a 4-6 guy, same for MDZ and, sure, Gudbranson. Far from ideal, and way overpriced, but serviceable in the right roles. Hutton and Biega are essentially spare parts at this point. DP is not good. Tryamkin, if he ever returns, is still 2 years away and still a big unknown. Juolevi makes the team next year and is genuinely our best and only prospect hope at this stage. Which is tragic, even if he pans out.

Draft the BPA, but man do we need good Defensemen, and to a lesser extent wingers, in our cupboard. And the top 4 is all d and w. We need to finish last.

PS. I know the above is obvious to most everyone here. I'm kind of externally processing.

Reactions: 2011 still hurts

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Pettersson played center this year and his coach says he can play c in the NHL.

he played primarily right wing. was only center for a couple of games (due to injuries iirc).

So which one was it? Obviously - I hope it was the former. The Canucks will have a bit of a problem on their hands if Pettersson is far more suited to playing RW than C, and if most of his success this year came on RW. :(

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I agree that championship teams are generally built through the middle, and you can never have too many solid pivots.

Our centre depth going forward, ideally, should be Horvat, Pettersson, Gaudette, Sutter, Gaunce. But there are big x factors. We know what Horvat, Sutter and Gaunce are, and Sutter's contract aside, all are fine if they are played appropriately. Pettersson and Gaudette are unknowns, the former as to whether he can hang at centre, the latter as to whether he can even play in the NHL. (I'm going to go ahead and assume that Pettersson can play at this level, either at C or at W.) This could be an enormous strength of the team going forward, or a serious need depending on how those two pan out. Either way we likely won't know for a few years.

We have 1 solid first line winger (Brock), 1 second liner (Sven) and then a bunch of maybes (Lind, Gadj, Virtanen, Leipsic, Dahlen) and a whole lot of nonsense and filler (Gagner, Ericksson, Motte et al). So the winger position is still in need of help. Svetch or Zadina would hugely solidify our top line going forward. We also know that Benning will have a hard time not throwing a big contract offer towards Kane this offseason.

Goaltending is set for the next decade, barring a Demko disaster.

It is defense where we are weakest in the present and future, obviously. I suspect Tanev gets moved, and that Edler continues his regression. Stecher is fine as a 4-6 guy, same for MDZ and, sure, Gudbranson. Far from ideal, and way overpriced, but serviceable in the right roles. Hutton and Biega are essentially spare parts at this point. DP is not good. Tryamkin, if he ever returns, is still 2 years away and still a big unknown. Juolevi makes the team next year and is genuinely our best and only prospect hope at this stage. Which is tragic, even if he pans out.

Draft the BPA, but man do we need good Defensemen, and to a lesser extent wingers, in our cupboard. And the top 4 is all d and w. We need to finish last.

PS. I know the above is obvious to most everyone here. I'm kind of externally processing.

Fair assessments I think. Thing is we still have so many needs both on wing and on D so there’s no point worrying about which one we fill and which one we don’t at this draft. It’s a long term process and even if we take a D this year we’ll still desperately need D next year. Ditto if we take a winger. We just need to make progress, not solve the puzzle.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Uh...the team needs literally everything. C, W and D. Also improved goaltending would be nice.

Every position needs improvement. "Teams built on wingers DON'T WIN CUPS". Hey, cool. You know what other teams don't win cups? Teams with no good players on them. Like this one.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Im really really really REALLY warming up to Boquist to the point where as long as we finish last place we will get one of Dahlin Svech Zadina or Boquist. Of course ya know assuming Benning doesnt pull a Benning and select Dobson...EEK

I don't mind Boqvist but I do have some concerns about his size and defensive ability.

One concern I have is that the Canucks will land the 2nd overall pick, and pass on Svech for a defenseman......perhaps with the reasoning of, "We're already set with Boeser and Virtanen on that right side.....and possibly Elias if he plays there, and so we don't need any more RW'ers. We need a defenseman."

Truly hope that this isn't what they're thinking.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!.....looking at the closing 10 games, could easily see the Canucks losing at least eight of them....but being bageled is also a real possibility......The Canucks as a 59-61 point team would he historically bad in the salary cap era of three-point games......really hope the media asks some tough questions for a change at the end-of-season presser.....like "as the architects of this team, are you embarrassed?"

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Uh...the team needs literally everything. C, W and D. Also improved goaltending would be nice.

Every position needs improvement. "Teams built on wingers DON'T WIN CUPS". Hey, cool. You know what other teams don't win cups? Teams with no good players on them. Like this one.

We have like....13/14 long term roster holes right now. It's incredibly dire even if most of our Top-5 prospects make an impact.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Wow!.....looking at the closing 10 games, could easily see the Canucks losing at least eight of them....but being bageled is also a real possibility......The Canucks as a 59-61 point team would he historically bad in the salary cap era of three-point games......really hope the media asks some tough questions for a change at the end-of-season presser.....like "as the architects of this team, are you embarrassed?"

Yeah, you have to think the kid gloves will come off at some point. I'd like to have someone just ask them to please stop giving out term to bad old players and stop trading away draft picks.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Meh. 59 points and 75 points are the same shit. The team has already quit playing and they started shutting down players in order to get a high pick. Its better to have 59 points than 79 points if you're the Canucks. Nobody's embarrassed. This is the plan after the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad