Pro-Tank Thread Part VII: March Badness Edition. Draft Lottery is April 29th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
I think we saw some signs of that the other day when either Benning or Willie (can't recall which) started to talk about having injuries "at key points" in the season. It was a funny way of working around the fact that we haven't been decimated by injuries like last year, so now the excuse is we had injuries at "special times" that cause the season to be lost.

Just pure comedy with these guys.

I'm too lazy to actually look into it but I wonder if injuries are more common in teams that are worn and torn from consistently playing in their own end? You would think playing in your own zone is more taxing. Is it a coincidence that most of the bottom feeders have lots of man games lost? And with the lack of depth we have the problem would intensify with our subpar replacements. Teams with greater organizational depth can slow the bleeding when losing a good possessional player lost to injury. I'm completely pulling this out of my *** but are injuries a valid excuse or are their reasons for why a team gets injured?

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'm too lazy to actually look into it but I wonder if injuries are more common in teams that are worn and torn from consistently playing in their own end? You would think playing in your own zone is more taxing. Is it a coincidence that most of the bottom feeders have lots of man games lost? And with the lack of depth we have the problem would intensify with our subpar replacements. Teams with greater organizational depth can slow the bleeding when losing a good possessional player lost to injury. I'm completely pulling this out of my *** but are injuries a valid excuse or are their reasons for why a team gets injured?

It's possible, would be tough to pin down the strength of the relationship but intuitively it makes some sense esp for injuries to D. Look at Tanev this year and he just seems worn out, I would think the sheer amount of time he has spent defending in his zone vs time spent when we have the puck in the other 2/3 of the ice has to have something to do with it.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Other than the obvious, is there a center that basically nobody is talking about who is highly offensives that we can get with a solid 2nd rounder or third round pick?

Under the table kind of player.

I'd say Jake Leschyshyn. Plays on the stacked Regina team, getting third line minutes while putting up almost PPG. With Steel and Brooks most likely leaving next season theres a good shot he gets a lot of minutes next season. He'll probably go 3rd round or something.

TGn9sXE.png

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Sure you can, it's pretty easy actually.

Naw.. I'm like the majority of the fan base in that regard. Cheer for a score... cheer for a win... only now with an extremely negligible (if any) amount of disappointment with a loss.

They'll win or lose and draft where they draft regardless of how i feel about it.

Canucks are a positive source of entertainment for me.. so cheering for their failure isn't part of the equation.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Question for the tankers:

Say Goldobin scores a hat trick tomorrow. Good thing or bad thing?

Boeser comes in next week and scores an overtime winner - do you cheer, or no?

I mean, I totally get why losses might benefit the team going forward. And I really don't care much if they lose games at this point, either. It doesn't even really bother me when the opposition scores.

But I can't quite bring myself to cheer actively against the team. I'm not living and dying with the results or anything, but if the Canucks score, especially if it's one of the younger guys, I'm happy enough.

For me, I'd rather just hit the fast forward button and get to the draft already. These last few games are more or less meaningless to me, short of hoping to see some promise for next season.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

I mean, I totally get why losses might benefit the team going forward. And I really don't care much if they lose games at this point, either. It doesn't even really bother me when the opposition scores.

But I can't quite bring myself to cheer actively against the team. I'm not living and dying with the results or anything, but if the Canucks score, especially if it's one of the younger guys, I'm happy enough.

For me, I'd rather just hit the fast forward button and get to the draft already. These last few games are more or less meaningless to me, short of hoping to see some promise for next season.

No, at this point. Shut er down, just lose. These players can build up their confidence and self-esteem next season. We are past the point of no return with only 12 games left.

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
Naw.. I'm like the majority of the fan base in that regard. Cheer for a score... cheer for a win... only now with an extremely negligible (if any) amount of disappointment with a loss.

They'll win or lose and draft where they draft regardless of how i feel about it.

Canucks are a positive source of entertainment for me.. so cheering for their failure isn't part of the equation.

Get over yourself bro. Think of the possible outcome down the road. If we plummet in the standings and land 1st overall, you're 1 step closer to the day you can cheer the boys on in May. You don't need an abacus to figure this out. It's fairly straightforward. You might as well have fun with it.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Other than the obvious, is there a center that basically nobody is talking about who is highly offensives that we can get with a solid 2nd rounder or third round pick?

Under the table kind of player.

Check out MacKenzie Entwistle.

He's caught my eye as a 2nd rounder. He's not a offensive dynamo but I really like the way he plays the game. 6'3, can play C/RW, really good along the boards and smart defensively, decent PKer to boot and wins faceoffs

I think he could be a real solid 3rd liner @ the NHL level and have no trouble filling in on the 2nd for short periods.

Reminds me of a bigger, stronger and faster version of Burrows.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

For me it's in tiers:

1. Kids score and we lose
2. Kids don't score and we lose
3. Kids score and we win
4. Kids don't score and we win

As much as possible I prefer the losses to contain some positive signs from the kids but with 12 games left I think the "upside" of a Boeser goal is dwarfed by the upside of potentially drafting 1-2 spots higher. Different story next year where you'd be asking for an entire season to be unsuccessful vs now where it's a matter of just 12 games.

Besides what I really want in these losses is just for Miller to play ******. Then the kids can do as well as they want and we still lose.

Win win ;)

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
i was past the point of no return after the loss to the flames. I was on board with a rebuild after 2013 but bought in during 2015 with Kassian, Lack, Horvat, Kenins all on heaters and the team on a run to the playoffs. That team was just as boring as this year from November through to february 2015.

Then we made the playoffs with lots of money available in the offseason. Then the Thursday before we played game one, Dorsett and Sbisa were re-signed to bloated contracts. sails died for me. Still, easiest matchup of the playoffs against the flames. Very winnable and then see what happens with the Ducks. we got smashed. THE END.

i just don't care at all to see this team win right now. See a goalie play who has no part in our future.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express

Goldobin and Boeser can score as many goals as they want it's just Miller needs make sure he let's more in :naughty:

It's all about Draft position now IMHO we seriously need some hi end talent and we're only going to find it with the best pick available. Getting a Patrick or Hischier would really help this franchise moving forward.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
I'm here.
Can't actively cheer for losses... but can cheer for everyone else around us to win.
Was more happy about the wings cementing that bonus point last night then i care to admit to myself..

You know **** is bad when DL44 starts posting in the tank thread :laugh:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I was cheering so loudly when Dallas scored last night.

It's gotten to the point where every game I cheer for the other team. Old rivalries mean nothing to me anymore. That's how much I can't stand current management and want to see their team fail.

I do like some of the kids. Very high on Horvat, and I like Hutton and Stecher. Tryamkin is looking like a good bottom pairing guy. That's about it. No attachments to anyone else really.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

The kids scoring and the team winning are not the same thing. I cheer for both. Last night was a great game, both goals by young promising players and we get the regulation loss. Exactly what I want.

Ideally we lose every game in a fun 6-5 regulation loss and all of Bo, Bear, Goldobin, Granlund, Gaunce, Boucher, Hutton, Stetcher, Tram, what ever other kids are up contribute to the goals we score and play well. I couldn't care less if Sutter, Eriksson, Edler, Megna, or Sbisa score. I still like to watch the Sedins score, so I am torn there.

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008

It's gotten to the point where every game I cheer for the other team. Old rivalries mean nothing to me anymore. That's how much I can't stand current management and want to see their team fail.

I do like some of the kids. Very high on Horvat, and I like Hutton and Stecher. Tryamkin is looking like a good bottom pairing guy. That's about it. No attachments to anyone else really.

Of course, real fans should be cheering for us to lose right now. It's not hate it's strictly for a better pick/better future/to be a true contender hopefully soon.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If the Canuck kids play well, it's a win-win, no matter what the score is.....think there's a real possibility of the Canucks finishing 29th overall....'Yotes just look better than us right now.

Obviously this is an acute embarrassment to the entire organization, but sometimes you have to bottom out, admit you've got a bad hockey team and vow to get better, before you can start seeing results.

The problem for Canuck fans isn't worrying about getting a high draft pick--that's guarantied.....it's whether the current Canucks braintrust has the acumen to oversee a successful rebuild.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I'm here.
Can't actively cheer for losses... but can cheer for everyone else around us to win.
Was more happy about the wings cementing that bonus point last night then i care to admit to myself..

Sure you can, it's pretty easy actually.

Gotta cross that cognitive consistency hurdle first (being successful in convincing yourself that cheering for losses does not equal cheering against the team)

But once you have, it's smoooooooooooooth sailing afterwards. :thumbu:

Oliewud

May 13, 2013

no love for baertschi man? i think hes looking pretty good out there + showing a high compete level.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You know, what's really stomach-churning is that for three of the last four seasons, the Canucks have been one of the worst teams in the entire NHL....but somehow they lost out on guys like McDavid, Laine, Matthews and Eichel.....and if Canuck luck holds, they move up in the draft lottery in a year when there's basically no guaranteed star on the board....it's the curse of the Canucks and spin of the 1970 draft wheel

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
The Devils are down by 1 in the third period--

and as I write this post, Carter Rowney scores his first (Sestito with the secondary assist) to put Pittsburgh up by 2. I have no idea who that is, but I'm sure he'll be the next Rust / Sheary / Guentzel

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The Devils are down by 1 in the third period--

and as I write this post, Carter Rowney scores his first to put Pittsburgh up by 2. I have no idea who that is, but I'm sure he'll be the next Rust / Sheary / Guentzel

Jersey unlucky to be down though. Hall gets slashed on a breakaway a minute after Kessel is awarded a penalty shot but only gets awarded a PP. Then NJ coach is awarded a bench minor for complaining about the bewildering call. Then in the first minute of the third NJ has 4 glorious chances to score only to have Murray and the D rob them of the tying goal.

Then Pitts scores on like their first good shot of the period. :(

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I didn't know Chad Ruhwedel was playing for Pittsburgh now.

Ruhwedel, Guentzel, Kühnhackl (Kessel, Schultz) - their German quotient is through the roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad