Pro-Tank Thread Part VII: March Badness Edition. Draft Lottery is April 29th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
One beer bet is taken

I'm taking the field on that one

Also canucks play 8 of their remaining 12 games on the road, all against western conference teams with only two against non playoff teams.. (jets and coyotes both on the road)

It's a perfect storm really, there's zero excuse for not being 28th or worse. Gotta get 29th though because of the Vegas shuffle.

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
Did anyone else see that lil bit about Benning telling Willie to be realistic and let the youth play?

Someone mustve tipped him off about our fanbase on HFboards...:sarcasm:
All he needs to do now is spend 5 mins a day reading...

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
One beer bet is taken

I'm taking the field on that one

Also canucks play 8 of their remaining 12 games on the road, all against western conference teams with only two against non playoff teams.. (jets and coyotes both on the road)

Sweet. The Coyotes are within striking distance already. Can we dream of Nico Hischier?

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
JetsAlternate has been doing that on our collective behalf all season

A friend of mine who I sometimes post in the lounge with but isn't much of a hockey fan altogether mentioned to me one time about how they randomly looked up Nico Hischier with the hype and found a 40 minute video comparing his skating style to Bure.

JetsAlternate doesn't let their dreams be dreams

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It's been a few years since I cheered for any team as hard as I'm cheering for the 'Yotes right now.....

Over the last 10 game stretch the gap has reduced by 5 points. Another 5 point gain by Arizona needed. 12 more games left.

Go 'Yotes!!!!!!!!!!!

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
It would be amazing to finish 29th out of 30th, but the other part of me thinks whats the point?!. With the Nucks luck even finishing 29th probably means falling in the lottery and picking 5th. With another slap in the face with Hischier going 4th. Im sorry im not very optimistic anymore after getting constantly screwed in the draft lottery. But hey fingers crossed.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
It would be amazing to finish 29th out of 30th, but the other part of me thinks whats the point?!. With the Nucks luck even finishing 29th probably means falling in the lottery and picking 5th. With another slap in the face with Hischier going 4th. Im sorry im not very optimistic anymore after getting constantly screwed in the draft lottery. But hey fingers crossed.

Somehow, someway, we will be picking 15th. And will take a stay at home defenseman.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

Jim would probably just pass on the clear BPA again anyways.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Would be nice to finish worse than last year.

SOMEONE has to ask Jim about his rebuild comments. 3 years ago he stated that we won't rebuild because Canuck fans wouldn't accept a rebuild. Well how is finishing 28th and 29th in back to back seasons while trying to make the playoffs supposed to be better than a well calculated rebuild? How can anyone have confidence in Jim Benning to build a team when, despite trying to build a playoff team, he built the 2nd and 3rd worst teams in hockey?

That's why finishing 29th is very important, in addition to the higher draft lottery odds.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Feels very much like deja vu from last year.

At this point I'm just hoping to get some good luck with draft, this team has suffered enough bad luck already.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Would be nice to finish worse than last year.

SOMEONE has to ask Jim about his rebuild comments. 3 years ago he stated that we won't rebuild because Canuck fans wouldn't accept a rebuild. Well how is finishing 28th and 29th in back to back seasons while trying to make the playoffs supposed to be better than a well calculated rebuild? How can anyone have confidence in Jim Benning to build a team when, despite trying to build a playoff team, he built the 2nd and 3rd worst teams in hockey?

That's why finishing 29th is very important, in addition to the higher draft lottery odds.

You don't even have to go back 3 years. 11 months ago he said the 16-17 team would be "competitive" and by next season they'll be on their way to being up there with the elite teams of the league.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Whether this is deliberate or accidental. Finishing low and picking in the top 2 is exactly what this team needs.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Whether this is deliberate or accidental. Finishing low and picking in the top 2 is exactly what this team needs.

I'm observing this draft with the same attitude as last one: brace myself for disappointment.

I definitely hope that we don't get screwed over NEXT year though, IF the rich generational draft class talent reputation is true.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

The answer wouldn't be that exciting. They'll just blame injuries, and the mumps thing happening at the wrong time, and continue to claim the roster they assembled could have been competitive (i.e. the fault lies with circumstances outside their control). Maybe WD is thrown on the sacrificial alter and they sorta blame coaching, maybe not and he's just a victim of circumstance as well.

I'm very interested to see, however, the way they try to present next season. Curious whether they revert back to "re-tool" and try to sell playoffs again, or we get the full rebuild talk. If they revert back to the re-tool narrative and this happens again; I don't see how they're not all fired.

As to the post above, finishing this low in the standings was definitely not deliberate.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The answer wouldn't be that exciting. They'll just blame injuries, and the mumps thing happening at the wrong time, and continue to claim the roster they assembled could have been competitive (i.e. the fault lies with circumstances outside their control). Maybe WD is thrown on the sacrificial alter and they sorta blame coaching, maybe not and he's just a victim of circumstance as well.

I'm very interested to see, however, the way they try to present next season. Curious whether they revert back to "re-tool" and try to sell playoffs again, or we get the full rebuild talk. If they revert back to the re-tool narrative and this happens again; I don't see how they're not all fired.

As to the post above, finishing this low in the standings was definitely not deliberate.

I think we saw some signs of that the other day when either Benning or Willie (can't recall which) started to talk about having injuries "at key points" in the season. It was a funny way of working around the fact that we haven't been decimated by injuries like last year, so now the excuse is we had injuries at "special times" that cause the season to be lost.

Just pure comedy with these guys.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

The point of finishing 29th is that even with our luck and not grabbing a top 3 pick, the worst we can possibly pick is 5th. If we only finish 25th (6th worst) the worse we can pick is 9th). Those 4 picks makes a huge difference of the value of our asset.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm here.
Can't actively cheer for losses... but can cheer for everyone else around us to win.
Was more happy about the wings cementing that bonus point last night then i care to admit to myself..

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Other than the obvious, is there a center that basically nobody is talking about who is highly offensives that we can get with a solid 2nd rounder or third round pick?

Under the table kind of player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad