Pro-Tank Thread Part VII: March Badness Edition. Draft Lottery is April 29th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
looks like the goal is going to come back for goalie interference

nvm* good goal

JA

If you're keeping an eye on Nolan Patrick as a potential Canucks draftee, here's a little bit of information from tonight's game that might be concerning.

Patrick suffered another lower-body injury tonight in the first period against Regina. Perry Bergson, writer for the Brandon Sun, thinks it's a knee injury.

Patrick did, however, return for the second period.

He has recorded an assist in the second period.

He has a pretty lengthy injury history already; one could justifiably argue that he is injury-prone: https://www.reddit.com/r/nhl/comments/5h7jpw/nolan_patrick_has_been_injured_at_some_point_in/

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It would be very Canuck to win the lottery, draft Patrick, and have his potential cut well short due to injury.

JA

Some comments about Patrick's tentative play away from the puck:

The same was said by DraftBuzz about a month ago:

Over the past little while, Patrick has been disengaged without the puck. Patrick is not what one would consider an aggressive forechecker.
I see Patrick as an second-line center, albeit potentially an elite one -- in my opinion, that would be his ceiling. I have been somewhat unimpressed with Patrick for the most part, and said earlier this season that I would have ranked Dubois ahead of him. It is close, although I think that Patrick is a smarter player than Dubois. That said, Patrick doesn't drive his line offensively, although he handles the puck with quite a bit of finesse, can pass the puck well, and possesses an above-average wrist shot; Patrick is a very touch-and-go type of player who delegates the puck to his linemates, then gets into position to receive and distribute it again. He is an average skater who isn't one to carry the puck through the neutral zone nor make a lot happen on his own. This week in particular, he has looked mediocre, with his line being hemmed in their own zone quite a bit in three separate games. At 6'3'' 200 lbs, he is two inches taller and twenty pounds heavier than Hischier, but much less mobile. He shields the puck well with his body, is a great passer, and can shoot the puck well; those skills, along with a touch-and-go style of play, is how Patrick could be described.
His greatest strengths are his ability to distribute the puck well to line-drivers and forecheckers, and his ability to shoot -- a polished passer and a good shooter, but not someone who dictates the pace of the match or overwhelms the opposition with a power game. This season, he is on pace for 100 points over a full 72-game season, which is about the same as last season; the difference is his team is average this year as opposed to last year's championship-caliber squad.

My thoughts from the Sportsnet game against the Moose Jaw Warriors a month ago:
I thought he had a very mediocre game. He created very little offensively and was very tentative. His passes were sloppy, and I don't think he had a shot on goal. Most of his shifts were spent hemmed in his own zone; his line was unable to sustain pressure in the offensive zone. I didn't see him carry it in once -- instead, he either dumped the puck in for someone else to retrieve it, or deferred the zone entry to another player. He wasn't around the puck much at all in this game, and part of it was because he stayed far too high up in the offensive zone; he didn't engage in the play or forecheck very hard. It seemed too much like he was waiting for others to create his chances for him in this game.

Rob Faulds interviewed Patrick just before the second period and asked him what the difference was between the two teams' starts. Patrick stated bluntly that the team, himself included, did not come out prepared, but needed to get things back on track. They did not.

The Wheat Kings had only one shot after the first period. After two periods, they had been outshot 29-8. The powerplay opportunities were 3 to 2 in favor of Moose Jaw.

It was a one-goal game with over a period remaining in the match, yet I didn't see him elevate his game today.

He was on the ice in the final two minutes as the Wheat Kings attempted to tie the game; the Warriors broke free for an odd-man rush and made the score 3-1. He played a very passive game today, and the Warriors were successfully able to contain him when he had the puck in the offensive zone; he wasn't given much time or space when he had the puck.

On a positive note, he won most of his faceoff attempts. He won the faceoff that resulted in Mattheos' goal. Clague shot the puck on net from the point and Mattheos deposited the rebound.

This was the Wheat Kings' only regular season match to be aired on Sportsnet this season. It was a sleeper for those who tuned in specifically to watch Patrick. The Warriors players, however, put on a show.

http://www.brandonsun.com/sports/wheat-kings/Warriors-beat-Wheat-Kins-3-1-413795493.html?thx=y
Warriors beat Wheat Kings 3-1
By: Perry Bergson
Tuesday, Feb. 14, 2017 at 11:10 PM

Stelio Mattheos had Brandon’s only goal as the Wheat Kings were badly outshot 34-16, including 12-1 in the first period in a game nationally televised on Sportsnet.

Brandon head coach David Anning said his team simply didn’t show up.

"I thought we were lacking energy, lacking enthusiasm and got caught standing around a lot," he said. "As a result, I thought our execution was poor and we played a slow game and we didn’t generate. We didn’t give ourselves a good enough chance here tonight."

Last edited by a moderator:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Sounds like Nolan Patrick and Jake Virtanen would get along juuuuuuust fine.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
JetsAlternate's propaganda has made me wary of Nolan Patrick and his bonafide cornucopia of of injuries.

If he's so injurious in his teens, what makes anyone think that's gonna change in his 20s when he's being run at by bottom 6 plugs playing for job security (see Johnny Gaudreau)

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
nYrcfPa.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad