Prime Lidstrom getting burned?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
As a Wing's fan, Forsberg has easily been the most feared forward that Detroit has faced since Lidstrom has been in the league.

Derick*

That's why I still think prime Forsberg > Crosby. Had an unreal ability to sustain his level of play against elite defenses. Will have to reevaluate that at the end of this season though.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Tho only time I remember Sakic scoring while Lidström was on the ice was during the '96 playoffs and that was on a pass from Deadmarsh(?). Other than that I dont think he really "burned" Lidström. Forsberg was definitly more of a Lidström burner.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Sakic often made Lidstrom look silly.

I don't recall Sakic ever beating Lidstrom 1 on 1. The biggest fear as a Red Wings fan with Sakic was him unleashing that wrist shot on our goalie but that usually didn't involve Sakic walking around a defender. Forsberg was definitely more feared and gave Lidstrom the most problems in 1 on 1 situations.

Even in that Bure clip Lidstrom harassed him a lot more than other D could back then considering the rocket boots Bure had.

I remember Wendel Clark getting by Lidstrom once early in his career. He out muscled him along the boards on a rush. Even back then I was shocked someone beat him 1 on 1 cause it rarely happened.

Patrick Sharp and RJ Umberger seem to be two other forwards who have given him problems at times during his career.

Wish I could see a playoff series with prime Lidstrom try to defend prime Mario. That would be really interesting to watch. Best offensive player I've ever seen versus the best defensive player.

overg

Dec 15, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site

at 1:11 forsberg make him lose his jock

Forsberg: Lidstrom = Lemieux:Bourque

If you want clips of two of the all time best defensemen getting smoked, those are the two forwards whose highlight reals you need to check out.

The Forsberg clip above is permanently etched in my memory as the biggest all-time burn of Lidstrom I've ever seen. I think that happened in the '99 playoffs, although I couldn't swear to it. It certainly wasn't the only time Forsberg beat Lidstrom, but it was the nastiest.

Padan

Aug 16, 2006
I think that happened in the '99 playoffs, although I couldn't swear to it. It certainly wasn't the only time Forsberg beat Lidstrom, but it was the nastiest.

I'm pretty sure it was during the '96 Conference Final.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Forsberg: Lidstrom = Lemieux:Bourque

If you want clips of two of the all time best defensemen getting smoked, those are the two forwards whose highlight reals you need to check out.

The Forsberg clip above is permanently etched in my memory as the biggest all-time burn of Lidstrom I've ever seen. I think that happened in the '99 playoffs, although I couldn't swear to it. It certainly wasn't the only time Forsberg beat Lidstrom, but it was the nastiest.

This clip is from the '96 playoffs. I remember it well and Paul Coffey is on the ice, too.

Lidstrom stopped Forsberg a lot more times than he got around him. Overall Lidstrom got the better of Forsberg when they faced each other. Don't know if you can say the same about Bourque : Lemieux.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
This clip is from the '96 playoffs. I remember it well and Paul Coffey is on the ice, too.

Lidstrom stopped Forsberg a lot more times than he got around him. Overall Lidstrom got the better of Forsberg when they faced each other. Don't know if you can say the same about Bourque : Lemieux.

generally speaking, no forward has ever got the best of any defensman all the time or else you would have that forward against that Dman continually....Im not getting the Bourque/Lemieux comparison...Lemieux took care of a lot of defensemen (including Lidstrom im sure) in his career....As well, as much as I admire Forsberg...he was no Lemieux.....not close...

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
That's why I still think prime Forsberg > Crosby. Had an unreal ability to sustain his level of play against elite defenses. Will have to reevaluate that at the end of this season though.

Through their 1st 5 years I can see the argument, especially with 2 way and psychical play brought into the Mix but injuries really hit Foppa big time as we all know and we will never really know how great he could have been in able to stay healthy.

But we have to keep in mind that Sid is 3 years younger than Foppa at every step of the way which really tilts the balance towards Sid IMO.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
generally speaking, no forward has ever got the best of any defensman all the time or else you would have that forward against that Dman continually....Im not getting the Bourque/Lemieux comparison...Lemieux took care of a lot of defensemen (including Lidstrom im sure) in his career....As well, as much as I admire Forsberg...he was no Lemieux.....not close...

True, but Bourque got burned much more than Lidstrom did throughout their careers overall. Lidstrom was better defensively and I don't think there's much of an argument about that. Nick is about 3" taller and has a better reach and his positioning and defensive awareness in his prime was perfect. Bourque was obviously a great overall dman but he just didn't quite have the shutdown capabilities of Nick, especially come playoff time.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
in 2007 or 2008, patrick sharp beat lidstrom 1 on 1.

As a Wing's fan, Forsberg has easily been the most feared forward that Detroit has faced since Lidstrom has been in the league.
agreed

i think lidstrom struggled more vs forsberg than vs any other player.

Briere Up There*

but he just didn't quite have the shutdown capabilities of Nick, especially come playoff time.

Why? Don't turn this into another Bourque/Lidstrom debate. We all know who had better teams and who was asked to lead both the offense and defense.

overg

Dec 15, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
Im not getting the Bourque/Lemieux comparison...Lemieux took care of a lot of defensemen (including Lidstrom im sure) in his career....As well, as much as I admire Forsberg...he was no Lemieux.....not close...

Oh, I completely agree. Not even in the same league. I merely invoked the comparison because there are a few famous clips of Bourque getting owned by Lemieux. If you want something comparable for Lidstrom, Forsberg is your forward.

To the best of memory, Lidstrom and Lemieux didn't go head to head very often. Due to East/West scheduling issues, Lemieux's various injuries, and Lemieux's practice of sitting out some games just to rest up his back, it seemed like the Wings didn't see much of Mario in the mid to late 90's.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
To the best of memory, Lidstrom and Lemieux didn't go head to head very often. Due to East/West scheduling issues, Lemieux's various injuries, and Lemieux's practice of sitting out some games just to rest up his back, it seemed like the Wings didn't see much of Mario in the mid to late 90's.
Starting with the 91-92 season (Lidstrom's rookie year) to the end of Lemieux's career, Mario had 17 points (7g, 10a) in 11 games against Detroit.

The downside of the league getting bigger is that you don't get to see half the league's stars in your city very often.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Funny how us Red Wings fans seem to remember these rare occasions.
i misremembered, though.

it was actually on march 31, 2006. it was an OT goal.

yzerman scored his 691st goal in that game, to pass lemieux for 8th.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
True, but Bourque got burned much more than Lidstrom did throughout their careers overall. Lidstrom was better defensively and I don't think there's much of an argument about that. Nick is about 3" taller and has a better reach and his positioning and defensive awareness in his prime was perfect. Bourque was obviously a great overall dman but he just didn't quite have the shutdown capabilities of Nick, especially come playoff time.

being defensive is more about positioning...it is the physical part too and that is where Bourque was stronger. It is open for debate to say that Bourque was burned more often..i dont think either guy was burned often and if one of them was, it was by a small margin...

no need to discuss the offensive differences, but this isnt another Bourque/Lidstrom debate...:laugh:

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Oh, I completely agree. Not even in the same league. I merely invoked the comparison because there are a few famous clips of Bourque getting owned by Lemieux. If you want something comparable for Lidstrom, Forsberg is your forward.

have to admit i havent seen "few famous clips" of that...remember the one from marios early days (mario's first game?), but certainly boston played pittsburgh more often (plus the playoffs)...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad