GDT: WCQF GM06 | Vancouver Canucks @ Nashville Predators | Fri. May 3rd | 4pm PST | SNP/CBC | On the Road Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yep, the second biggest winners from last night's loss to Nashville, besides the Predators, wer of course the Oilers.

They now cool their heels and wait or the Canucks and Preds to beat each other into the ice for Game #6 and maybe even a game #7.

Not that it likely matters much. After watching that Dallas-Vegas game tonight; after viewing the Av's demolish Hellebucyk and the Jets last night; even the most wild-eyed optimist has trouble seeing how the Canucks would ever beat those teams.

But I guess stranger things have happened in the playoffs.

Reactions: Regal

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yep, the second biggest winners from last night's loss to Nashville, besides the Predators, wer of course the Oilers.

They now cool their heels and wait or the Canucks and Preds to beat each other into the ice for Game #6 and maybe even a game #7.

Not that it likely matters much. After watching that Dallas-Vegas game tonight; after viewing the Av's demolish Hellebucyk and the Jets last night; even the most wild-eyed optimist has trouble seeing how the Canucks would ever beat those teams.

I thought Vegas/Dallas was going to be a slobberknocker (and it’s living up to the billing), but I am shocked at how thoroughly Colorado shitmixed the Jets. Just a destruction.

-

But all that matters to the Canucks is the next one. I hate that we have to wait for Friday. Argh.

Reactions: Indiana

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Wow. Doesn't take much for people to jump off the bandwagon. I thought #5 was a well fought battle by both teams. The Preds had one of the best records in the second half of the season. They are not pushovers. We got lucky in game 4 and they got a bit lucky in game 5. Evens out.

They clog up the neutral zone and make it hard to penetrate. When we got into their zone (PP or 5on5) we buzzed around easily and got some good scoring chances.

I thought it was EP40s best game

And blaming Tocchet for the Canucks not shooting? He has said repeatedly that the team has to shoot more. I think everyone is confused as to why they are not shooting more on the powerplay.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

In 2011's first round series, the Bruins dropped their first two games at home vs a Habs team that was very mediocre outside of Price and didn't even have Pacioretty because of the Chara incident. They needed two overtimes in a row to climb back, and they barely squeaked out the series with yet another OT win in Game 7. Keeping in mind the year prior, the Bruins had arguably the most unbelievable playoffs choke ever by first blowing a 3-0 series lead, then losing the Game 7 when they also had a 3-0 lead.

The rest is history.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Wow. Doesn't take much for people to jump off the bandwagon. I thought #5 was a well fought battle by both teams. The Preds had one of the best records in the second half of the season. They are not pushovers. We got lucky in game 4 and they got a bit lucky in game 5. Evens out.

They clog up the neutral zone and make it hard to penetrate. When we got into their zone (PP or 5on5) we buzzed around easily and got some good scoring chances.

And blaming Tocchet for the Canucks not shooting? He has said repeatedly that the team has to shoot more. I think everyone is confused as to why they are not shooting more on the powerplay.

The secret is that there’s a few here who never were on the bandwagon and others that are not-so-secretly annoyed their loud prognostications that this team is horrible have proven to be incorrect.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

I honestly didn't find game 5 to be particularly deflating. The only discouraging thing is they couldn't give the fans a hail Mary at home. But, as emotions run high, the playoffs turns into a cauldron of utter chaos where highly favored teams like Jets gets bounced. I think we've all seen enough playoff games to know just now unpredictable things can be.

Like I said, team needs to simplify things. Get more shot attempts, look for rebound if there is one, prepare for o zone face off if puck was swallowed up, and pull back for defense.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver

they dont listen. "the players do they".. they always have to look for the pretty plays. they should stop doing it and just shoot the damn puck

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Tocchet has told the media they need to shoot more..

Clearly something else being said in the room, cuz the only play they try for is slap pass. Not off the rush type stuff, but their entire powerplay. X's n O's, set plays, no SOG.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Tocchet has told the media they need to shoot more..

Clearly something else being said in the room, cuz the only play they try for is slap pass. Not off the rush type stuff, but their entire powerplay. X's n O's, set plays, no SOG.
Yeah I feel like there’s a bit of over coaching/thinking going on in this series in the offensive zone. Just watching teams who generate more chances/shots in these playoffs, it’s amazing how effective a simple one timer can be to cause chaos, both on the pp and at 5v5.

Meanwhile the Canucks are pretty good at establishing zone time but waste it by either trying to thread the needle with low % passes or just cycling around the outside all to just set up a low quality point shot that usually isn’t even one timed, allowing the Preds to get set.

It also seems like the team is very reluctant to shoot or play creative off the rush unless it’s a glaringly obvious opportunity. They’d rather just use it as a zone entry to setup a perimeter cycle to soak more point shots.

There’s a reason why this series has been very feebly played despite the Canucks having the clear territorial advantage with some time. One team is much more efficient at using zone time.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
they dont listen. "the players do they".. they always have to look for the pretty plays. they should stop doing it and just shoot the damn puck

While I do think the team too often looks for an extra pass, I don’t think it’s a simple as shooting the puck either. There hasn’t been many noticeable opportunities to shoot that they’re squandering, they just can’t get many open looks. I agree with some others that one of the issues seems to be an unwillingness to attack off the rush and instead try to establish the zone first. But at the same time, Nashville is doing a good job at limiting speed through the neutral zone

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Yeah I feel like there’s a bit of over coaching/thinking going on in this series in the offensive zone. Just watching teams who generate more chances/shots in these playoffs, it’s amazing how effective a simple one timer can be to cause chaos, both on the pp and at 5v5.

Meanwhile the Canucks are pretty good at establishing zone time but waste it by either trying to thread the needle with low % passes or just cycling around the outside all to just set up a low quality point shot that usually isn’t even one timed, allowing the Preds to get set.

It also seems like the team is very reluctant to shoot or play creative off the rush unless it’s a glaringly obvious opportunity. They’d rather just use it as a zone entry to setup a perimeter cycle to soak more point shots.

There’s a reason why this series has been very feebly played despite the Canucks having the clear territorial advantage with some time. One team is much more efficient at using zone time.
I don't really think it's over coaching. This is just how they play. It's the offensive scheme Tocchet runs and what they've done all season. Their primary method of offense has been taking perimeter shots and hoping for tips/deflections/screens all season. Myself and a few others have pointed this out repeatedly. It's why I wanted them to add a forward at the deadline that can provide a different offensive dimension.

I've said all along that I don't think they were ever "good" at chance creation. It was just masked by PDO early on. They're one of the worst rush-chance-creating teams in the league, and that is by design. Particularly against the Preds who this season primarily thrived off the rush, I think it's a good tactical decision.

However, the upside to this offensive scheme is that it really is more of a defensive posture: If you hold the puck in the OZ for a lot of the time, by definition the opposition won't be able to score on you. This is partly why the Canucks' defensive metrics have been so strong this season. The Canucks are a low-event team, by design, and that's how they've been successful. It's just what they are.

All that said, I actually think G5 was their best game of the series, from the perspective of creating quality chances. If they repeat their G5 performance (low event, but higher quality), then they should close it out.

Reactions: Indiana and TruGr1t

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Mike Kelly and the sport logiq model had the Canucks in 7 to start with Demko. The model has been right on all the teams advancing to the 2nd round so far.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Still think we got this. Key is EP and I see him playing his best game. He has been horrible at the start of the series but has been progressively getting better as the series went along.
Yeah he was good last game.

Is it just me or are there too many 2 day breaks? Maybe I just haven't been as invested in the playoffs the last few years but this feels like more time between games than usual.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

I thought it was probably the most evenly played game, too. Canucks had a terrific first, the Preds a terrific second, and both sides took turns with momentum in the third and got chances - we just couldn’t finish ours. It happens.

If we play Game 6 consistently like we played Game 5, I like our chances - I just hope we put forward a better 60-minute effort than we did in Games 3 and 4 in Nashville.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

We both know more than 50% of fans are bandwagoners anyways. We could win the cup and we'd still have pissed off fans lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00