Prime Jonathan Toews or Current Auston Matthews

Prime Jonathan Toews or Current Auston Matthews

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't believe the point of statistical peak means highest totals. I think it clearly means best production in relation to the league (regardless of the rest of their games). Otherwise it's pretty meaningless. What does Malkin hitting his highest totals at 22 tell us about when a player hits his scoring peak if he was clearly better offensively at 25? For once scoring isn't going down either so what happened to others likely won't happen to him if things hold. I do think most players hit it before 25 than after, especially those who enter the league and are top players from an early age, but I think it's usually closer to 25 than 22 like Matthews was this year. Matthews is in his prime and probably unlikely to hit a hugely different level at this point, but I think peak has as much to do with variance, opportunity and circumstance as anything so it wouldn't be surprising to see him have his best statistical season any time in the next 5 years.

Then I'm not sure why you're disagreeing with me, but agreeing with the guy I quoted (or at least not openly disagreeing with his premise). The bolded is exactly my point I was making against his point.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
And yet I'm sure you voted Toews here, and voted Laine over Matthews in the countless "who is better" posts over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
And yet I'm sure you voted Toews here, and voted Laine over Matthews in the countless "who is better" posts over the years.
Why? What a bizarre self deluded view of people out to get your Leafs you have.

I know I never voted for Laine because he is even less of a complete player. Again, its not hard to view complete ice play as a total top requirement over just goals.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Then I'm not sure why you're disagreeing with me, but agreeing with the guy I quoted (or at least not openly disagreeing with his premise). The bolded is exactly my point I was making against his point.

I'm disagreeing on the specific point about over or under 25, but more on the relevance of that point. I think trends point to under 25 as being more likely, but I think it tends to skew in the latter part of that that Matthews hasn't hit yet (23-24), and there's so many examples of players hitting it in the 25-27 range that I don't think we can really make an educated guesses on Matthews peak, other than he probably hasn't hit it yet and it'll likely happen sometime in the next 4-5 years

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm disagreeing on the specific point about over or under 25, but more on the relevance of that point. I think trends point to under 25 as being more likely, but I think it tends to skew in the latter part of that that Matthews hasn't hit yet (23-24), and there's so many examples of players hitting it in the 25-27 range that I don't think we can really make an educated guesses on Matthews peak, other than he probably hasn't hit it yet and it'll likely happen sometime in the next 4-5 years

I was talking about in general, not about Matthews, since that poster was saying that more players (ie. the majority) had their peak statistical seasons after age 25 than they did prior to that.

Again, you essentially agreed with me with that bolded part of your post above. Even in the post above, the part I bolded once again agrees with my original point in response to the person I quoted. So it just seems weird to me that you're focusing exclusively on the low end of my age range (22-25, you're stuck on the 22 part) rather than the person I originally quoted who suggested more players have peak statistical seasons AFTER age 25 than they do in that 22-25 range.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Overall, Toews is better

And as a leader / playoff performer, he is on another level

Plus I think at his best he made his teammates a lot better than that leaf dude

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Overall, Toews is better

And as a leader / playoff performer, he is on another level

Plus I think at his best he made his teammates a lot better than that leaf dude
Absolutely, he also never truly had a Center to take the load off of him. He did a lot in his younger years, was a great leader, 2 way player, but you nailed one part that is often overlooked, he was able to mentor by example Kane into a serious player. Toews was mature beyond his years. Those early years he was as a complete hockey player, he was elite on the Hawks or Team Canada.I still recall the Olympics I believe was the first gold, he centered Canada's best line with Mike Richards and Rick Nash on the wings. Marvelous hockey player in his prime.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
So you made up your own version of the poll lol Do you you not know what the word 'current' means?

My point is Matthews currently is entering his prime. His best season could be any of the next three years and I expect it to be higher than Toews's prime, so current (prime) Matthews is better than prime Toews.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
My point is Matthews currently is entering his prime. His best season could be any of the next three years and I expect it to be higher than Toews's prime, so current (prime) Matthews is better than prime Toews.

Current Matthews is not prime Matthews, unless you think last season was his prime.

You are moving the goalposts to future Matthews which is not what the poll ask.

Until the season is under way, you cannot count it as current.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Matthews legendary ESG/60 wouldn’t be enough to make up for his objectively inferior ability to shutdown other team’s top lines.
Matthews is a lot more than just ES G/60, and while Toews was good defensively, his individual defensive impact is greatly exaggerated. He was perfectly insulted with great defensive players during those years as well, and the difference between Toews and Matthews would likely not alter things significantly enough to prevent Chicago winning in the years they did.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Matthews is a lot more than just ES G/60, and while Toews was good defensively, his individual defensive impact is greatly exaggerated. He was perfectly insulted with great defensive players during those years as well, and the difference between Toews and Matthews would likely not alter things significantly enough to prevent Chicago winning in the years they did.

I don’t think that’s a very accurate statement.

Reactions: JaegerDice

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Well no. The only better defensive forward at the time was Bergeron and Toews was superior offensive at that point. While Toews at the time was a little overrated, he’s become quite underrated.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

The only cup the Blackhawks may have won with a current Matthews in place of Toews at the time was the 2010 cup, as that was the only cup that Toews was used in a purely offensive role. He absolutely went off in that role, dominating and dictating play through the first 3 rounds to a degree that we've certainly never seen Auston Matthews assert himself, particularly in the playoffs.

The following two cups were a completely different deployment strategy. The Toews matchup line was basically tasked with taking on the toughest competition, keeping them from scoring, AND producing at a top 6 rate, so that Kane's line could take on baby soft competition in overwhelming ozone starts and the bum-slayers on the 3rd line could take everything left over. Kruger on the 4th line managed the bulk of the dzone starts. The ONLY reason this worked is because Toews was such a two-way possession MONSTER that could turn the best-of-the-best in the NHL to mulch in terms of possession, scoring chance share, and goal differential.

Auston Matthews has simply not demonstrated the ability to do so. His coaches have barely attempted to even use him in such a role. Which is fine, he's an offensive weapon, it's not wrong to use your best offensive weapon in the most opportunistic scenarios (that's what the Blackhawks do with Kane). But he has not demonstrated he can play the Toews or Kopitar role (Kopitar did the same thing for the Kings, and Carter basically reaped the rewards behind him as far as deployment in the same way Kane did behind Toews). That doesn't mean Matthews sucks, it simply means he can't do THAT job, and on a team where THAT job is a key pillar of the entire gameplan, he would NOT have been able to replace Toews and still win a cup.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Highly debatable, and individual defensive impact from forwards in general is often overstated. Toews was good defensively, but he tends to get more credit for the end results than he deserves.

If anything defensive impact is underrated, as its far more difficult to measure.

Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
No offense but I never understood the love for Toews? I really have never thought he was that good of a player. He might be a good leader and have good intangibles but other than that, is he really a top 100 player of all time?

Reactions: Dingo

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019
Prime Toews without blinking and I say that with all respect to Matthews who I think will be the better player when all is said and done.

One of the most underrated things on these boards over the last decade was the Bergeron-Toews-Kopitar trifecta simply blackholing the opposing top scorers while chugging along at 60-70 points themselves.
You’d have to add datsyuk with those three

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
You’d have to add datsyuk with those three

Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

There was a period in the early-to-mid 2010s where they were the only forwards with a higher QoC than Toews.

As the Red Wings depth thinned out after the 2008 and 2009 peak, Babcock just asked more and more of them, and they kept delivering.

Reactions: Dingo

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Highly debatable, and individual defensive impact from forwards in general is often overstated. Toews was good defensively, but he tends to get more credit for the end results than he deserves.
It’s really not though? The best two way forwards of Toews generation were him, Kopitar, Bergeron, and I guess Datsyuk & Zetterberg(but that was the end of their primes really). Bergeron is clearly better than Toews defensively while Kopitar is better offensively. I just don’t see how it’s debatable that Toews was at worst the 3rd best two way forward of his era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad