Price Vs Montoya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
-31- said:
I love how it's so unreasonable how Montoya was so overhyped because of his great WJC's, yet it's fair to say he's catpuke now because he had a bad WJC's. doesn't make much sense to me.

It's also funny that everyone looks over Price's absolutely brutal U18 showing.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
CoachBombay said:
If if if... and if Price would have been drafted by the Columbus Blue Jackets, nobody would mind much, i bet that there wouldnt be a topic called "Prive Vs Montoya"

The Proof: Setoguchi taken 8th, not much threads on the great player from Saskatoon projected late first round

If Brule was a Canadien prospect, there would be TONS of topics, laughing at the habs drafting small centers year after year...

Huh? It was a Habs fan who started this thread. You can drop the poor persecuted Habs fan act anytime. Nobody from other teams starts threads to rag on Habs prospects. Those threads only turn into Hab bashing after countless threads of overhype and incessant need for validation

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Price may be overrated, but he's easily one of the most SKILLED prospects out there. Second best goalie prospect SKILL WISE. Ahead of Fleury, and Hannu T.

He REALLY has the skills to be a franchise goaltender.

Bruinster*

Legionnaire said:
Huh? It was a Habs fan who started this thread. You can drop the poor persecuted Habs fan act anytime. Nobody from other teams starts threads to rag on Habs prospects. Those threads only turn into Hab bashing after countless threads of overhype and incessant need for validation

:bow:

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Both of these guys seem to have a sort of polarized profile at HF. Price because he was taken slightly higher than most people anticipated and probably because he has since been suddenly glorified by Habs fans, and Montoya I guess because of his up and down performances, which naturally lead to wide variations of opinions.

To me, it's particularly unfortunate in Price's case - he is an extremely talented elite goaltending prospect imo, regardless of where or by whom he was picked in the draft, but that's kind of being clouded by all the overhyping and subsequent overcompensation by other fans to try to bring him back down. I'm no Habs fan, but Price is (and I thought this before the draft as well) one of the best goaltending prospects out there right now, and one of my favourite WHL prospects. A few Montreal fans (I certainly don't mean all of them) suddenly jumping on the Price bandwagon might be annoying, but it shouldn't affect anyone's opinion of him and I don't think it makes him overrated. He is slightly higher profile these days, but he deserves it, at least imo.

EddyK

Oct 5, 2004
Edmonton
"Both of these guys seem to have a sort of polarized profile at HF. Price because he was taken slightly higher than most people anticipated and probably because he has since been suddenly glorified by Habs fans, and Montoya I guess because of his up and down performances, which naturally lead to wide variations of opinions.

To me, it's particularly unfortunate in Price's case - he is an extremely talented elite goaltending prospect imo, regardless of where or by whom he was picked in the draft, but that's kind of being clouded by all the overhyping and subsequent overcompensation by other fans to try to bring him back down. I'm no Habs fan, but Price is (and I thought this before the draft as well) one of the best goaltending prospects out there right now, and one of my favourite WHL prospects. A few Montreal fans (I certainly don't mean all of them) suddenly jumping on the Price bandwagon might be annoying, but it shouldn't affect anyone's opinion of him and I don't think it makes him overrated. He is slightly higher profile these days, but he deserves it, at least imo." quote by Greg7

Alleluya
I could not have said it any better.

But all the posters that are getting so ennoyed about all the habs prospects threads, why dont you start your own?
Because It is getting very visible that you guys have something against anyone with a love for the hab.
Last time I checked no one put a gun to your head and forced you to come read any of the multiple threads hab fans have started. :teach:
As long as they dont break any Hf rules they are aloud to start any threads non hab or hab related.
You guys are getting so worked up by the smallest things like "old grumpy not getting any actions man"

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
But all the posters that are getting so ennoyed about all the habs prospects threads, why dont you start your own?

so you're saying we should start our own threads about habs prospects so we can bash them? :sarcasm:

Because It is getting very visible that you guys have something against anyone with a love for the hab.
Last time I checked no one put a gun to your head and forced you to come read any of the multiple threads hab fans have started.

eh, and you don't have to read the posts about people complaining about it, and so on and so on... I don't think anyone has anything against the habs prospects just because they're habs prospects (well maybe some do, but not most), but the "ohhh let's start a bunch of threads about habs prospects and then when people don't like the prospects as much as we think they should, let's complain and put on the persecution hat and come up with the stupid "well dont' read it if you don't like it!" retorts" is kind of annoying

:shakehead

hey if people are gonna start threads about prospects, they better be ready to get some dissenting opinions.

as for this thread...don't know enough about price to be able to rank the two, but i think people are definatly starting to underrate montoya. he had a bad year, but even during his bad year, he looked to me like he has a ton of skill and i wouldn't count him out yet. I thought it was obvious he wasn't playing up to his skill level last year and I think he'll bounce back nicely this year. Might be a little tough moving up into the AHL but he'll have some good numbers by the end of the year.

Mooch

Nov 6, 2003
NC/Toronto/Florida
Legionnaire said:

Of course not. Just like nobody from any other team is going to start a thread on how great frolov is, other then a Kings fan.

All fans over hype their prospects a bit. Even us, all mighty Hab fans. It's normal. We loves our prospects, what can i say......

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
Russian_fanatic said:
Price may be overrated, but he's easily one of the most SKILLED prospects out there. Second best goalie prospect SKILL WISE. Ahead of Fleury, and Hannu T.

He REALLY has the skills to be a franchise goaltender.

I also think that Price is overrated, especially after reading posts like this. I would put both Fleury and Toivonen ahead of him at this stage... Price has a lot more to prove.

I take it you think that the only goalie prospect ahead of him is Lethonen? I would also put Lundqvist ahead of him as well.

dru

Jarmo Unchained
Jun 9, 2005
CBUS
www.colorriot.com
CoachBombay said:
If if if... and if Price would have been drafted by the Columbus Blue Jackets, nobody would mind much, i bet that there wouldnt be a topic called "Prive Vs Montoya"

If Brule was a Canadien prospect, there would be TONS of topics, laughing at the habs drafting small centers year after year...

Thank god that didn't happen. Price over Brule was a classic. You just made my Christmas list.

Thanks Habs! :handclap:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
dru said:
Thank god that didn't happen. Price over Brule was a classic. You just made my Christmas list.

Thanks Habs! :handclap:

It's a bit early to make that statement IMO...but let's say both players reach they're potential...a franchise goalie and a franchise center...you can't go wrong either way...

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
EazyB97 said:
I think most people agree that Brule or Kopitar were the picks the habs should've made. That, or try and trade down to stay ahead of Ottawa and grab Price then, while adding picks. Nobody knows what would've happen, but I am fairly confident he could've been had as long as they stayed ahead of Ottawa.

Also this "he only went 3-5 spots ahead of projection" doesn't make much sense to me. If Crosby went 2nd overall all hell would've broke loose. It's not so much the position, but who you are passing over.

And that's the rub. If the Habs had picked Brule, we would have added another smallish player, and fans would have been all over them for that. Kopitar looked to be a good pick, but he slid for a reason, which I don't know why. There must of been a reason why the Habs weren't the only team to pass on him. :dunno: Price was rated the next BPA by the Habs and they picked him. Short term, most wanted a forward, but in the long run, I hope he makes us forget who we passed on. As for who is better, I have no idea. Goaltenders are very hard to guage, but I'd have to say that both organizations should be happy with their goaltending propects.

MHNet

May 31, 2005
MichiganHockey.net
Having seen Montoya play a lot during his three years at Michigan, I have no doubts he'll bounce back from his sub-par year. As others have said, one bad year doesn't make a career. If that were the case, Montoya's former teammate Jeff Tambellini should have hung up his skates after his sophomore slump (also coming the year after he was drafted).

Montoya's a big game goalie. When he's facing consistent pressure, he was at his best. He always rose to the challenge his first two seasons, but even he admitted this past summer that he was "bored" last season. Many times he would go 5-10 minutes without facing a shot and his hardest challenge was staying awake. Add to that, that I think everyone knew his head was stuck in New York after being drafted by his favorite team, and his focus simply wasn't at Michigan.

He's at his best under pressure and I think moving to a new situation where he's battling with Lundqvist will help him regain his form. His competitive juices are flowing again and he wants to prove himself.

AgentNaslund*

Montoya. stoning Canada to get USA gold was his highlite. He wil be a good goalie.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Many times he would go 5-10 minutes without facing a shot and his hardest challenge was staying awake.

and it didn't help that shot would usually be a breakaway or a great chance right in front of the net after the michigan D broke down :shakehead

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
Corey said:
How do you know that? Have you seen him a number of times? Do you travel around North America from your flat in Canarsie?

i don't know why you bother posting here if you can't ask someones opinion, and then just accept it. if you can't do that, then shut your mouth.

and it is a brownstone in hoboken, come visit some time....dip sh*t

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I wouldnt give Montoya the bust label just yet, he's had only one bad season. As for who I'd choose, I dunno, I've never seen Price play.

As for constantly criticizing the Habs brass for not choosing Brule and Kopitar, I think thats Pejorative Slured and idiotic. Especially when the arguments are about what the Habs "needed", because frankly, you dont know what the **** your talking about.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Habsaku said:
I wouldnt give Montoya the bust label just yet, he's had only one bad season. As for who I'd choose, I dunno, I've never seen Price play.

I haven't seen anyone really call Montoya a bust. And anyone who did is straight stupid.

CH Wizard

Habsaku said:

As for constantly criticizing the Habs brass for not choosing Brule and Kopitar, I think thats Pejorative Slured and idiotic. Especially when the arguments are about what the Habs "needed", because frankly, you dont know what the **** your talking about.

False, he's had ONE BAD TOURNAMENT.

:D

Because of one tournament, some people have labeled him as a bust? Isn't it sad?

Montoya has been pretty consistent for Michigan. He needs to work on his mental game. How could you label him as a bust when he hasn't played in the pros yet?

I completley agree with the second part.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Jon Prescription said:
Please. Most people thought price would go from 15-20 if Ottawa didn't take him.

Absolutely not. He could have gone to any team from the 5th pick to the 20th pick who had him pegged as the Best Player Available for their selection. It seems like you assume that every other team in the top 20 except Ottawa was drafting by needs and not with the BPA strategy. How would you know that? Furthermore, how would you know that some of those teams weren't as high as Montreal on Carey Price? That was one silly post Jon. Who cares about what most people on this board thought? It's not like any of us read what players the teams picking in the top 20 were high on anyway.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
I didn't like the pick of Montoya. With that said, I thought Montreal taking Price 5th overall was an absolute farce.

Both are overrated so how do you pick the best of two bads? I'll go with Montoya of off his WJC performance being better than any performance of Price's on a similar playing field.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
The Great One said:
False, he's had ONE BAD TOURNAMENT.

:D

Because of one tournament, some people have labeled him as a bust? Isn't it sad?

Montoya has been pretty consistent for Michigan. He needs to work on his mental game. How could you label him as a bust when he hasn't played in the pros yet?

I completley agree with the second part.

It wasn't just the tournament. Ask any Michigan fan for a report on his play last year and you'll clearly see what I mean.

The true debate for those in the know is whether this bad year was an abberation or an accurate sign of things to come.

I'm of the personal belief that his heralded WJC performance is the abberation in all of this. I know I'm not alone in that thought but as of yet, I'm probably not in the majority, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad