Price Vs Montoya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maithz

Which one do you prefer ??? Which one have the biggest upside ?

And do you think Price has a great chance to be the Canada starter in december ??

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Of course everyone is going to pick Price because of Montoyas sub par performance this year. Montoya will be starting goalie in the AHL next season, looking very foward in watching him.

habsfansam

Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere dark...?
HABS-65 said:
Which one do you prefer ??? Which one have the biggest upside ?

And do you think Price has a great chance to be the Canada starter in december ??

I like Price... I can't speak for upside.

I do think that Price has a good shot at being one of canada's goalies... hopefully the starter.

Skroob*

Not that i dont like Montoya, but i'd take Price right now. A good year in HFD could put Al back on top though.

Doesnt matter though. Lundqvist will be better than both of them. ;)

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Skroob said:
Not that i dont like Montoya, but i'd take Price right now. A good year in HFD could put Al back on top though.

I second that. :teach:

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
I've only seen Montoya at the WJs, but I really like Price. I think he has everything it takes to be an elite goaltender in the NHL. Most people seem to have him pencilled in as Canada's starter this year, and he is certainly a consensus pick to at least make the team. Especially being in Montreal where he will develop in a system with a reputation of turning out good goalies, Price has a great chance to be a #1 for many years.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Skroob said:

Maybe....time will tell.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'll take Montoya simply because I believe he's more skilled. I don't even like him that much as a top prospect and think he's definately overrated. But not as overrated as Price has become.

Large_Farva*

Jon Prescription said:
I'll take Montoya simply because I believe he's more skilled. I don't even like him that much as a top prospect and think he's definately overrated. But not as overrated as Price has become.

I'd take Montoya simply because of his talent and potential.

Also I feel that right now Montoya is quite underrated by many people.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Large_Farva said:
I'd take Montoya simply because of his talent and potential.

Also I feel that right now Montoya is quite underrated by many people.

Montoya was as overrated as he could get after his one amazing run. Yes, the kid has talent but he is definately a long, long way away from even comming close to realizing it.

But since Price went top 5 compeltely randomly he went from being one of those "oh, this kid might be a decent player... maybe we'll get him mid or late 1st round" to this now can't miss prospect.

I don't understand it, but whatever.

Munchausen

Jon Prescription said:
But since Price went top 5 compeltely randomly he went from being one of those "oh, this kid might be a decent player... maybe we'll get him mid or late 1st round" to this now can't miss prospect.

Right. Price was a consensus top-10. That's usually more than a "oh, this kid might be a decent player". Late first round? You were probably the only one thinking he'd slip that low. Although I was skeptical of the pick, I'll trust the Habs brass and more importantly, the team's head scout, on that one. For him, he was the BPA, regardless of position. Period. Better than Kopitar. Better than Brule. This is what it comes down to.

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
Not slamming either goalies, but why am I seeing Hab prospect threads popping up all over the place?

Anyways I like both goalies despite Montoya's sub-par performance at the WJC's. Not sure who I would put over the other, but I will agree that Lundqvist might be better than both.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Munchausen said:
Right. Price was a consensus top-10. That's usually more than a "oh, this kid might be a decent player". Late first round? You were probably the only one thinking he'd slip that low. Although I was skeptical of the pick, I'll trust the Habs brass and more importantly, the team's head scout, on that one. For him, he was the BPA, regardless of position. Period. Better than Kopitar. Better than Brule. This is what it comes down to.

Please. Most people thought price would go from 15-20 if Ottawa didn't take him.

oli500

Aug 22, 2003
Kitchener
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:
Please. Most people thought price would go from 15-20 if Ottawa didn't take him.

If Ottawa would of taken price at 10 like most moke draft had him going there every one including media would off praised that pick and calling him a steal etc etc just cause Ottawa has no goaltending. Of course he only got picked 5 picks earlyer by the habs and because of that hes a bust of picked and no good.

Vinceee

Go Foreurs Go!
Apr 27, 2004
Amos, QC
Nich said:
Al.

price is a bit over-rated

Ahah! And Montoya, Underrated???

Al was "fairly rated" a year ago, now he is underrated because his stock went downhill.

The Reasons: He played poorly with Michigan and is Junior(U-20) Tournament could have been better...

Price isnt overrated, big season from him this year for a 17 years old...

He got the size, the talent, the ability, the puckhandling, ...

Vinceee

Go Foreurs Go!
Apr 27, 2004
Amos, QC
Jon Prescription said:

If if if... and if Price would have been drafted by the Columbus Blue Jackets, nobody would mind much, i bet that there wouldnt be a topic called "Prive Vs Montoya"

The Proof: Setoguchi taken 8th, not much threads on the great player from Saskatoon projected late first round

If Brule was a Canadien prospect, there would be TONS of topics, laughing at the habs drafting small centers year after year...

Corey

Nich said:
Al.

price is a bit over-rated

How do you know that? Have you seen him a number of times? Do you travel around North America from your flat in Canarsie?

Corey

King Henry I said:
I'll take Montoya. He had a bad season but at his best he is better than Price and as a prospect what more can you ask for?

When I watched Montoya underperform at the WJC I thought to myself that the Rangers had wasted a high draft pick. I'm not sure he'll turn out to be the #1 for the Rangers.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think most people agree that Brule or Kopitar were the picks the habs should've made. That, or try and trade down to stay ahead of Ottawa and grab Price then, while adding picks. Nobody knows what would've happen, but I am fairly confident he could've been had as long as they stayed ahead of Ottawa.

Also this "he only went 3-5 spots ahead of projection" doesn't make much sense to me. If Crosby went 2nd overall all hell would've broke loose. It's not so much the position, but who you are passing over.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Corey said:
When I watched Montoya underperform at the WJC I thought to myself that the Rangers had wasted a high draft pick. I'm not sure he'll turn out to be the #1 for the Rangers.

I sound like a broken record but ill say it again...one bad tornament...heck one sub-par season doesn't reveal how a goalies future is. He has shown he can dominate games against top talent before..goalies take the longest to develop..lets wait a year or 2 more before we make assumptions that Montoya won't be a starting goalie.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
CoachBombay said:
Ahah! And Montoya, Underrated???

Al was "fairly rated" a year ago, now he is underrated because his stock went downhill.

The Reasons: He played poorly with Michigan and is Junior(U-20) Tournament could have been better...

Price isnt overrated, big season from him this year for a 17 years old...

He got the size, the talent, the ability, the puckhandling, ...

And Price was AWFUL at the U-18s.

Everyone has bad seasons or tourneys.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I love how it's so unreasonable how Montoya was so overhyped because of his great WJC's, yet it's fair to say he's catpuke now because he had a bad WJC's. doesn't make much sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad