Price Vs Montoya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Kyle Chipchura said:
Absolutely not. He could have gone to any team from the 5th pick to the 20th pick who had him pegged as the Best Player Available for their selection. It seems like you assume that every other team in the top 20 except Ottawa was drafting by needs and not with the BPA strategy. How would you know that? Furthermore, how would you know that some of those teams weren't as high as Montreal on Carey Price? That was one silly post Jon. Who cares about what most people on this board thought? It's not like any of us read what players the teams picking in the top 20 were high on anyway.

Not even on the board, but most everywhere. And I never said that every other team in the top 20 didn't have him high. But I was generally suprised as were pretty much everyone when he was drafted that high.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Jon Prescription said:
Not even on the board, but most everywhere. And I never said that every other team in the top 20 didn't have him high. But I was generally suprised as were pretty much everyone when he was drafted that high.
Maybe 5 was earlier than most had him, but he was certainly a pretty consensus top 10 pick.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
BigE said:
It wasn't just the tournament. Ask any Michigan fan for a report on his play last year and you'll clearly see what I mean.

The true debate for those in the know is whether this bad year was an abberation or an accurate sign of things to come.

I'm of the personal belief that his heralded WJC performance is the abberation in all of this. I know I'm not alone in that thought but as of yet, I'm probably not in the majority, either.

eh, looking at his career, last year was the aberration. there's really no other way to view it at the moment until this year gets under way and we can evaluate his play in the AHL.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Greg7 said:
Maybe 5 was earlier than most had him, but he was certainly a pretty consensus top 10 pick.

Yep.

For whats its worth: Bob McKenzie from TSN had talked with a good number of team scouts from all around the NHL a month or so before the draft, and from what he gathered, the average ranking for Price was #7, so that gives you a better idea of where he could have gone if he wasn't selected by Montreal. Fans and certain scouting services thought he could last until the 15th pick, but in the end it's the teams rankings that matter...

turnbuckle*

Jon Prescription said:
It's also funny that everyone looks over Price's absolutely brutal U18 showing.

You really have an affinity for generalizing. If you had been reading carefully over the past six weeks, plenty of people have brought up his less than spectacular Under-18's including many a Hab fan. He was far from "brutal" as you describe (he only had one bad game and one average game), but there have been better goaltending performances through the years. One shouldn't forget that Canada's defence wasn't exactly overwhelming with the likes of Letang, Gragnani, and Kucerba, and that was most evident against Kessel and the Americans.

Not every Hab fan was or is crazy about the Price selection as it took most by surprise. What most Hab fans are is loyal however, and when other fans trash a Hab pick for whatever reasons, some Hab fans will react. No, we don't know whether Price will be a great goalie or not, but we have faith in the Habs braintrust. Since Savard, and then Gainey and Timmins, joined the Habs the drafting has been noticeably improved. Thus, most fans are confident that he was properly scouted during the 70 or so games he played this past season with Tri-Cities, and are not just relying on our sketchy memories of watching him on television last spring.

Tell me Jon; when the cameras were following the puck carrier in the corner or deep in the slot at the Under-18's, were you still able to pay close attention to Price? Were you somehow able to see off to the side of the camera, where the goalie was? I'd say it's close to impossible to judge a goalie prospect by viewing a few televised games on an ice surface larger than he's used to playing on.

I watched Price at the Ottawa rookie tournament; I kept a close eye on him when the puck was in the Habs zone. His positioning, puck handling, rebound control, quickness and style were all well above average for a just-turned 18-year-old goalie. Did he let in a goal or two that might possibly have been stopped? Yep - he wasn't perfect; I've yet to find one that is. Yet overall, looking at the total package live and not in front of a TV screen, I came away mightly impressed with his game.

As for who will be better; it's way too early to say. If Montoya bounces back the way he's capable of and Price has a rocky season in Tri-Cities, most everyone next summer will be saying Montoya is way better than Price.

We'll know a lot better when both are competing at the NHL level. That's at least two years away.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
loadie said:
And that's the rub. If the Habs had picked Brule, we would have added another smallish player, and fans would have been all over them for that. Kopitar looked to be a good pick, but he slid for a reason, which I don't know why. There must of been a reason why the Habs weren't the only team to pass on him. :dunno: Price was rated the next BPA by the Habs and they picked him. Short term, most wanted a forward, but in the long run, I hope he makes us forget who we passed on. As for who is better, I have no idea. Goaltenders are very hard to guage, but I'd have to say that both organizations should be happy with their goaltending propects.

I don't think Price was a bad player to chose in the draft, I just think Brule was the better option. He is smallish, but he plays with alot of grit and you can unload one of your smaller centers to fill a void. Theo is a great goalie. I believe in drafting by the BPA usually, but goalies are a little different because 1 gets 80-50% of the playing time. Like I said earlier, I think Price is a good tender, but I don't see a great fit in Montreal.

Also if you think Price was the BPA available, thats fine, but I don't think the Brule is small argument holds any merit if thats your line of thinking. Needs change, and so can the team size via trades or UFA.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
BigE said:
The true debate for those in the know is whether this bad year was an abberation or an accurate sign of things to come.

I'm of the personal belief that his heralded WJC performance is the abberation in all of this. I know I'm not alone in that thought but as of yet, I'm probably not in the majority, either.
Career Stats

from that, I think it's clear what is the abberation and what isn't

Montoya definetly struggled last season, but if that makes him a bust, you better tell Joe Thornton to slow the hell down.

I don't think Michigan's defense helped the cause either. From the handful of games I saw, they would go for extended stretches without allowing a shot, and then all of the sudden allow a flurry or two.

I haven't seen enough of Price to answer this question, but I believe Gord Miller said on draft day that he thought Carey Price would possibly fall into the early 20's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad