Pretend that you're McDavid, do you want Nurse or Jones?

Read the 2nd and 3rd sentence of the thread

• Total voters

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
You're coming down the middle of the ice at 25mph and come across a top pairing of Darnell Nurse and Seth Jones. Which Dman do you choose to deke through and score? Jones is option Z and Nurse is option F

Bonus points (I will personally LIKE your posts) if you rank this pairing top 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 or 30 league wide

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
This feels like more of a reading comprehension test. I'd say top 10 honestly - I think having a bad contract often results in people assuming that since the contract is bad the player must be bad too. Even if they're both overpaid, they're also two legitimate top pairing defensemen, which not a lot of teams can ice.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
This feels like more of a reading comprehension test. I'd say top 10 honestly - I think having a bad contract often results in people assuming that since the contract is bad the player must be bad too. Even if they're both overpaid, they're also two legitimate top pairing defensemen, which not a lot of teams can ice.

Offensively, I agree with you. Those two guys defensively though. Would been a feast for the opponent.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I misread the premise, I thought it was "who do you think would be better with McDavid" so I voted Jones, but the answer is obviously Darnell "The 9.5M$ Pylon" Nurse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Neither. Jones' back skating is famously weak but he compensates by cautiously backing into his zone, which is less fun for McDavid. He doesn't want a free zone entry, he's trying to burn a guy. It's not like other D are stopping his entries anyway. Jones rarely gets burned, by the way, people had no clue about his weaknesses until the analytics came up weak.

And Nurse is just nasty. You'll get around him more but pay for it.

This is the kind of pairing where I could see a big difference between regular season and playoff effectiveness. Jones had great playoffs for the Jackets and I bet Nurse would have been great this Spring if he wasn't hopping on one leg all playoffs.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Voted option C

To me this pairing is top 10 for sure, arguably top 5.

Neither defensemen individually is a top 5 D in league, but they are both legitimate #1 defensemen. How many pairings league-wide can say they have two #1D on top pairing? I'll be honest I don't know off hand, so maybe it's more than 5 - but imo good chance this pairing is pushing top 5.

• Love
Reactions: DearDiary

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Nurse. Worse defensively and if I’m McDavid I know him better and can read him

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Doesn't matter because McDavid will punk anyone he wants to. That said, he likely has a better shot against Jones because Nurse is a better skater, along with being more likely to cross check his ribs when McDavid inevitably goes around him. It's marginal because like I said, McDavid doesn't give a shit.

Duncan Keith was an AFK passenger while McDavid did a 360 no look pass in front of him, and this was when he was still decent.

As far as the bonus, the pairing is probably 8-12 area. Your team would suck ass because you have 20M in two defensemen, but from an ability perspective, you could do a lot worse than have them both on the ice.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
2020-212021-22
Nurse
6d054ee504.png
3fe874946f.png
Jones
330e6675ba.png
382e3d2fc6.png

Neither look great in transition defense over the past 2 years, but Jones looks worse than Nurse by a fair bit. Obviously gaining the o-zone isn't exactly the same thing as dekeing through a player, but it can still be somewhat telling. As said before, I think Nurse being a better skater would help him. Jones, as also stated, often lets the opposition get in freely (hence the entry defense microstats being so much in the red) and hopes to kill the play when the opponent is in the o-zone. For a player coming in at McDavid's speed, neither is catching up with him skating backward. I think that, by virtue of being more willing to take risks, Nurse would succeed at breaking the play more often, but if unsuccesful, that would lead to a breakaway; while in Jones' case, he could get deked but not get out of position so much as to allow a breakaway. He's still prone to be over-agressive though, if challenged too much, and overall this could result in better scoring chances for McDavid more often. So, overall, I'd pick Jones' side if I were McDavid.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad