GDT: Preseason Game #5 - Hump Day! Edm @ Van - 7 PM MST on SN

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Skinner is not going to be a no.1 goalie in this league just letting pucks go through his body like that. Same thing as in the playoffs, pucks just leaking through this guy.

Nurse showing he is not a no.1 D at all.

Other than that at least Lavoie finally showed off his shot. Probably don’t want to lose him on waivers before giving him an actual shot.
Lavoie looked pretty good last night. He's big and can skate and has an NHL shot. I sure hope he's exempt from waivers. Can anyone confirm?

Broberg looked ok. Getting better slowly.

Skinner had a stinker. He's gotta stop some of those.

Sutter other than the careless trip played decent with Janmark and Eirie (sp). Hope he makes it.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
This has been an underwhelming preseason to my eyes so far. There hasn't been that one or two fringe player who really knocked out of of the park and forces you to notice them. Unless you clarify Holloway as a fringe player.

Most every player that's actually fighting for a job has appeared somewhat pedestrian to me. Not that this is a terrible thing, I remember allowing myself to get overly excited in the past with preseason heroics. It would be nice for there to be a bit more delineation amongst the guys vying for those coveted spots.

I don't want to say I'm disappointed, but I definitely haven't been noticeably impressed by any of the men shooting for the 6-7 holes on D. Every year I try my best to be patient with the likes of Broberg and so far every year I come away feeling slightly skeptical. I know that there really isn't a distinct opening for the kid on his strong side but I keep hoping that he will some day force the issue. Even if it's only for the purpose to jacking up his trade value.

Likewise with Lavoie. Maybe I'm not as patient as I like to believe but I struggle with the small incremental improvements. Maybe I've been spoiled by years of higher end draft picks?

Three more games and all I'm really hoping for at this point is for somebody to throw their proverbial gauntlet down and force their way onto the team.
I feel a lot of this comes from the coaching staff. They want the players to go out there and make the safe play. TMac and MacT were the worst for punishing younger players trying to make plays which turned into mistakes. I think most young players are scared to make the wrong play and just keep it safe. This applies to both teams in preseason and unless the player is head and shoulders above everyone else then they all look kind of vanilla.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I feel a lot of this comes from the coaching staff. They want the players to go out there and make the safe play. TMac and MacT were the worst for punishing younger players trying to make plays which turned into mistakes. I think most young players are scared to make the wrong play and just keep it safe. This applies to both teams in preseason and unless the player is head and shoulders above everyone else then they all look kind of vanilla.
Something bigger might be at work. It doesn't matter who we inject into the lineup the team hasn't been scoring and not generating much either. The attention to D first, it arguably magnifies that at times this club has trouble generating EV.

I've made the comment a few times but our vets every year are getting older, and we've made a point of adding older vets every offseason. We just keep reloading on guys like Ryan figuring they can play forever? I think it ridiculous as well the team brought back Caggiulia. Did anybody even scout what he was looking like now?

The starting lineup will be an average of age of close to 30 at some point this season. With a lot of the players on it having a lot of mileage. Its quite possible we've already seen the best of players like Kane.

Regardless of who we throw out there we've lacked pace, puck battle and for extended times we just afford opponents having the puck.

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
Lavoie looked pretty good last night. He's big and can skate and has an NHL shot. I sure hope he's exempt from waivers. Can anyone confirm?

Broberg looked ok. Getting better slowly.

Skinner had a stinker. He's gotta stop some of those.

Sutter other than the careless trip played decent with Janmark and Eirie (sp). Hope he makes it.
Lavoie is not waiver exempt - risk of losing him without trying him out is great

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Something bigger might be at work. It doesn't matter who we inject into the lineup the team hasn't been scoring and not generating much either. The attention to D first, it arguably magnifies that at times this club has trouble generating EV.

I've made the comment a few times but our vets every year are getting older, and we've made a point of adding older vets every offseason. We just keep reloading on guys like Ryan figuring they can play forever? I think it ridiculous as well the team brought back Caggiulia. Did anybody even scout what he was looking like now?

The starting lineup will be an average of age of close to 30 at some point this season. With a lot of the players on it having a lot of mileage. Its quite possible we've already seen the best of players like Kane.

Regardless of who we throw out there we've lacked pace, puck battle and for extended times we just afford opponents having the puck.
True we are older but on the flipside vets don't give a shit about preseason so hopefully they turn it on come game 1. This is the year though as we are not getting any younger. Fans and players. Lol

Lavoie is not waiver exempt - risk of losing him without trying him out is great
Would really hate to lose him as he really is our only scoring threat in the minors. XBorg seems more of a passer and Petrov is pretty far away from any NHL games. Lavoie looks like an NHL player... almost.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Didn't see the game, just saw the score, and without reading the thread I bet the sky is falling from the usual suspects. Does that seem about right?
Some are losing their mind, some usual suspects, some unusual suspects.
I partially lost my mind but not even about the team overall, just how you can have a bunch of guys fighting for spots but barely showing up with an effort. Thankfully it’s just 4th line and bottom pair roles.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I could give 2 shits about preseason. I don't even pay attention to anything other then box scores the next day

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
This is soups net this year. This isn’t even to trash on Skinner, I think he will progress over time and get better but at this moment, I think Campbell takes over.

First year goalies tend to struggle on new teams. Just like Ullmark last year, I think Campbell has a bounce back season for us (not at same level Ullmark did). He was solid in all his relief games in the playoffs too and hopefully keeps building off of that.

Stu going into his sophomore season I think will go through some growing pain but he will learn and improve over time.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Looked like a really good bottom pairing D-man. Has great moxy to quote Stauffer. Interestingly he usually plays on the left side but the oilers tried him on the right last night.
Yeah. I've liked him a lot this preseason. The fact that they tried him on the right tells me that the coaching chance is seriously considering keeping him up.

Reactions: RegDunlop

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
If you watched the game it was disheartening. Its not like we had all scrubs out there. We had most of our starting lineup out too. Just not our generational superstars.

This game was the complete opposite of Friday. In that game Campbell battled, made all the key stops, the team rallied and never gave up and fought hard. Last night the Oilers stars that were out there, Nuge, Kane, showed up one period, then disappeared. For a 30second span of this game the Oilers had 4 shots. The whole time Nucks scored 5 goals in a row the whole Oilers club had zero pushback. All of the above were ordinary. If I had to pick it was Pederson. Vinny D punked out of the game after already making some bonehead decisions. But two hand cross checking somebody in the face isn't really good for his resume right now.

I look at Desharnais and still see loose cannon. He's a guy that can cost your club a major penalty at pretty much any moment.
Most of our lineup?

We had Kane - RNH - Brown - Janmark at forward

4 sure players

D we had Bouchard - Nurse - I forgot the 3rd guy. Vinny is not counted. Broberg will be the 3rd guy.

How is that the entire lineup? lolll

Canucks had 95% of their entire lineup and the Oilers still could have scored 4/5 goals

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023

It's a good thing our generational superstars have only played 1 rusty game then and guys like RNH will drop back to line 2 when the real games begin. Nevermind Ekholm not even playing yet,

Are people getting this bummed out over pre-season?

One thing I would like a coach to do. Put the guys who you think have a good shot in positions to succeed. Don't just throw all fodder out together. Cut all of the guys who have no shot and stop dicking around.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It's a good thing our generational superstars have only played 1 rusty game then and guys like RNH will drop back to line 2 when the real games begin. Nevermind Ekholm not even playing yet,

One thing I would like a coach to do. Put the guys who you think have a good shot in positions to succeed. Don't just throw all fodder out together. Cut all of the guys who have no shot and stop dicking around.
Sure, but seeing if someone can punch above their weight isn't a bad idea. One could argue that Holloway wasn't put in a position to succeed on Friday. But he did. And that tells the coaches a lot about that player.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is soups net this year. This isn’t even to trash on Skinner, I think he will progress over time and get better but at this moment, I think Campbell takes over.

First year goalies tend to struggle on new teams. Just like Ullmark last year, I think Campbell has a bounce back season for us (not at same level Ullmark did). He was solid in all his relief games in the playoffs too and hopefully keeps building off of that.

Stu going into his sophomore season I think will go through some growing pain but he will learn and improve over time.

Ullmark was .917 his first year in Boston, lol. Campbell was most certainly not "just like Ullmark" even in relation to their 1st season with their new teams.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

It's only exhibition season, we'll be fine.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

I give WoodShaft the benefit of doubt.

I thinks he’s watching the various new bodies he’s played in the preseason so that when the inevitable nicks and injuries show up, he has camp data as well as current playing info to decide who to best call up and inject into the lineup, when the games count for 2 points.

We need to take a deep breathe…we’re not out of the playoffs at this point.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Some are losing their mind, some usual suspects, some unusual suspects.
I partially lost my mind but not even about the team overall, just how you can have a bunch of guys fighting for spots but barely showing up with an effort. Thankfully it’s just 4th line and bottom pair roles.
It’s a nothing game. Better they suck now than later.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the people saying an "Erik Karlsson wouldn't help this team" are lying to themselves too.

Quinn Hughes is not very good defensively, but he definitely makes an impact on the ice by being able to do things out there with the puck on his stick, in the offensive zone, whereas you look at like Nurse who makes no impact on the game whatsoever.

If we had a Karlsson on our back end it would dramatically change the team's break out and creativity coming from the back end of the ice.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I give WoodShaft the benefit of doubt.

I thinks he’s watching the various new bodies he’s played in the preseason so that when the inevitable nicks and injuries show up, he has camp data as well as current playing info to decide who to best call up and inject into the lineup, when the games count for 2 points.

We need to take a deep breathe…we’re not out of the playoffs at this point.
I can be pretty doom and gloom in my own head all year, but I have a calming feeling this year. For the first time in the McDavid era.

I see a team that is 90% of the way to a cup now and has a very small amount of holes to fill. I am trying to enjoy the ride more now. I know we will make the playoffs. I know Kenny will make a deadline move or two.

The main things that I am excited about is how the goalies play this year and how our new system looks. We know what we are getting from most of the guys and we can see how many internal improvements we get as well.

We are positioned now to make the playoffs and take multiple stabs at the cup, especially if Drai extends.

I think the people saying an "Erik Karlsson wouldn't help this team" are lying to themselves too.

Quinn Hughes is not very good defensively, but he definitely makes an impact on the ice by being able to do things out there with the puck on his stick, in the offensive zone, whereas you look at like Nurse who makes no impact on the game whatsoever.

If we had a Karlsson on our back end it would dramatically change the team's break out and creativity coming from the back end of the ice.
Well, Barrie said Kenny tried and told him that he would trade him only if he could get EK. Grier was being a dick lol.

Reactions: brentashton

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's not about doom or gloom, the team should be fine (though they can't afford to take things for granted either ... they are not some powerhouse like Tampa has been) in the regular season.

But the goaltending and D are not getting any leash this year. If they are showing the same kinds of problems that manifested very clearly in the playoffs, they are going to get called out for it.

Just all there is to it.

Skinner and Campbell are not going to have the benefit of being given a pass for poor games and poor habits on the ice this year.

Situations where Nurse has his thumb up his ass not covering any one in front of the net ... that also isn't gonna fly this year and be given a pass either.

Just how it goes.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Most of our lineup?

We had Kane - RNH - Brown - Janmark at forward

4 sure players

D we had Bouchard - Nurse - I forgot the 3rd guy. Vinny is not counted. Broberg will be the 3rd guy.

How is that the entire lineup? lolll

Canucks had 95% of their entire lineup and the Oilers still could have scored 4/5 goals
I said we had most of our starting lineup out there. Nuge, Kane, Brown, Janmark, Holloway(I expect to make the club)Ryan, Bouchard/Nurse. Skinner. Thats nine players already.

Some of the rest will end up making the club. Basically a choice of Bro or Nemo or Desharnais all of whom played. At forward looks to be one or more spots available as well that could be filled by a Lavoie or Peterson or whoever that was out there. I even worry Woody is pencilling in Malone again, but thats me. lol

In anycase minimally 10 starters were out there yesterday, possibly 11 or 12..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I can be pretty doom and gloom in my own head all year, but I have a calming feeling this year. For the first time in the McDavid era.

I see a team that is 90% of the way to a cup now and has a very small amount of holes to fill. I am trying to enjoy the ride more now. I know we will make the playoffs. I know Kenny will make a deadline move or two.

The main things that I am excited about is how the goalies play this year and how our new system looks. We know what we are getting from most of the guys and we can see how many internal improvements we get as well.

We are positioned now to make the playoffs and take multiple stabs at the cup, especially if Drai extends.

Well, Barrie said Kenny tried and told him that he would trade him only if he could get EK. Grier was being a dick lol.
This was me the last two season starts. Starting when we got Barrie, then Kane, I felt the team was headed in the direction of adding helpful talent. They still are, but the worry now is how old the club is getting. This is sneaking up, but if people look at it all the players we're adding are older. Very few young players or young energy players on this club. Holloway we badly need, and players like him. Our topsix, like I've said will hit average of near 30yrs old at some point this season. Thats not ideal.

Reactions: brentashton

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
This was me the last two season starts. Starting when we got Barrie, then Kane, I felt the team was headed in the direction of adding helpful talent. They still are, but the worry now is how old the club is getting. This is sneaking up, but if people look at it all the players we're adding are older. Very few young players or young energy players on this club. Holloway we badly need, and players like him. Our topsix, like I've said will hit average of near 30yrs old at some point this season. Thats not ideal.
Besides NJ pretty much every contending team has an older lineup no?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Besides NJ pretty much every contending team has an older lineup no?
Oilers are among the oldest teams in the league. Depending who we trot out in first game right up there. Unlike other clubs we have virtually no prospects coming up. We don't have a youth movement of any kind coming in to provide energy and jump and on ELC digestible contracts. We have Holloway and thats about it. I would have thought Bourgault but he's disappeared.

In anycase the other contending teams have already won their cups. We haven't got any. Its sobering, maybe just to me, that we're at this stage and the team has a high point of 8 playoff wins in a season. Thats the highwater mark of the McDrai arch thus far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad