GDT: Preseason Game 3 vs Washington

Oct 18, 2006
I hate to say this, but Soderblom gives me some Mantha vibes. He definitely needs to increase his intensity. I am not sure GR fixes that issue.
I think a lot of the issue is his skating. He still needs to get quicker. I’m starting to slowly get the feeling he’ll be traded sometime and blossom. Hope I’m wrong. He looked good with Veleno and Berggren last season.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I hate to say this, but Soderblom gives me some Mantha vibes. He definitely needs to increase his intensity. I am not sure GR fixes that issue.
Big guys rarely/never look intense. We've seen that he can turn it on. Consistency is definitely an issue for him but give it time. A lot of what we're seeing now/last season mirrored what he looked like in the SHL until things started clicking. He probably won't hit his stride until like 24-25, similar to most of these huge guys.

Reactions: Filppula

brett89

Jun 29, 2016
soderbolm needs to use his size. he is very awkward out there. sometimes it works but most times it doesnt. someone needs to show him how to use his size better

Reactions: raymond23

mikerooooose

Nov 7, 2009
Michigan
I said the same thing about Soderblom from the prospect tournament.

Gets stood up by defensemen over a foot shorter than him. Doesn't drive to the net. Does a lot of reaching with his stick, rather than moving his feet, etc...

He's a dime a dozen player if he doesn't use his size. If he played like Hannas or Kasper he would be a beast out there.

Last edited:

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I just don’t see long term success with him. Speed defines the league now and a guy who’s like 6’8 will simply not be able to be as fast and agile to make it as a high level forward.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I just don’t see long term success with him. Speed defines the league now and a guy who’s like 6’8 will simply not be able to be as fast and agile to make it as a high level forward.
You don't need elite speed to be successful, look at Jason Robertson. He has 10x the hockey IQ as Elmer though.

Elmer can protect the puck with his reach, but he can't win puck battles on either end of the ice. My concern is that he's a defensive liability, and that hasn't changed much. I wouldn't write him off yet though. He's a 6th round pick, and a big project.

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
I was never a mantha fan, but I'll take a mantha like player in the 6th round every year. I'm sure Stevei will give the next 5 6th rders. Round them up; I'm sure one will develop some heart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad