GDT: Preseason Game #2 at Washington

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
If veleno can consistently pull above 50% faceoffs and be solid defensively he can be the 4th line center. I'm not really seeing any offensive upside to his game.

Kasper is going to need to make more of an offensive impact to start in the NHL. A year of seasoning in tje AHL is probably not a bad idea. I think Soder is probably the young forward most likely to make the team or be the 1st callup this season.

Cossa I'm ignoring for at least 2 more seasons. I was not a big fan of the pick as I hate 1st round goalies but he's huge and it takes time for the reflexes to catch up.

Ed looked good again from what I was able to watch. I still think he starts in the AHL but if someone goes down I think he gets the call if it is a top 4 guy.

Hope Fabs and Sprong have strong seasons but I don't see both making it through the year as a wing. I think at least one if not both are dealt at the deadline.

With Chiarot out I don't think Ed starts in the AHL.

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Petry
Maatta - Holl
Gostisbehere

I'm totally good running 7 defensemen if Christian Fischer would have been the 12th forward. That dude looked like garbage.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
With Chiarot out I don't think Ed starts in the AHL.

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Petry
Maatta - Holl
Gostisbehere

I'm totally good running 7 defensemen if Christian Fischer would have been the 12th forward. That dude looked like garbage.
Wouldn't Chiarot be back in time for the season? He's out for his fathers passing right? Or does he also have an injury? I admittedly haven't been paying much attention

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Wouldn't Chiarot be back in time for the season? He's out for his fathers passing right? Or does he also have an injury? I admittedly haven't been paying much attention

If I were in Chiarot's shoes I would want time off to spend with my family. And Detroit should give it to him. Bring him back at Christmas or so if he's available then.

Reactions: Rolo Tomassi

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If veleno can consistently pull above 50% faceoffs and be solid defensively he can be the 4th line center. I'm not really seeing any offensive upside to his game.

Kasper is going to need to make more of an offensive impact to start in the NHL. A year of seasoning in tje AHL is probably not a bad idea. I think Soder is probably the young forward most likely to make the team or be the 1st callup this season.

Cossa I'm ignoring for at least 2 more seasons. I was not a big fan of the pick as I hate 1st round goalies but he's huge and it takes time for the reflexes to catch up.

Ed looked good again from what I was able to watch. I still think he starts in the AHL but if someone goes down I think he gets the call if it is a top 4 guy.

Hope Fabs and Sprong have strong seasons but I don't see both making it through the year as a wing. I think at least one if not both are dealt at the deadline.
When we drafted Edvinsson it was ? About his decision making , everything else was great. Now I could say there's no reason to worry about that. He probably already better than half of our D. It's too early to say , just after 2 games, but at the moment I believe he should start with big club. I put him on third pair with Ghost

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
that seems like quite a lot of time off.
Can you put a price on time off when your fath...........

maybe the joke wouldn't go over well, so I'll just leave it there lol. and before people get all bent backwards because I wasn't making a joke about this, I would like @OgeeOgelthorpe to receive the same hatred, even though he is more likeable. JUST SAYING.

When we drafted Edvinsson it was ? About his decision making , everything else was great. Now I could say there's no reason to worry about that. He probably already better than half of our D. It's too early to say , just after 2 games, but at the moment I believe he should start with big club. I put him on third pair with Ghost
I will say though, that when Oshie got around him late in the game because Ed was flat footed in the middle of the ice was a little concerning...but I am sure that can be taught and fixed.

Reactions: lilidk

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
If I were in Chiarot's shoes I would want time off to spend with my family. And Detroit should give it to him. Bring him back at Christmas or so if he's available then.
and if I were i'd want to get back into things as soon as the season starts

some people want time off to deal with this sort of thing while others deal with it better by jumping back into their everyday life as soon as possible, none of us really have any way of knowing which type Chiarot is and it's silly to pretend otherwise

Reactions: 14ari13

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
and if I were i'd want to get back into things as soon as the season starts

some people want time off to deal with this sort of thing while others deal with it better by jumping back into their everyday life as soon as possible, none of us really have any way of knowing which type Chiarot is and it's silly to pretend otherwise
I will say, it is much better to just get right into your daily life as soon as possible because it keeps your mind working while grieving at the same time. To each to own really.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
From a prospects perspective, Edvinsson was very good. None of the other youngsters really stood out. Sprong looked good. Fabbri turned on the jets at the end and almost willed the wings into OT himself. Nothing much else was interesting.

That line of Fabbri - Compher - Sprong will be a top tier third line by the end of the season. If Ras - Copp - Perron can play like they did in January and February this team will be realgud.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I see quite a few people saying 'big' goalies take even longer to develop. Why is that?
Most of it has to do with muscle mass. It’s harder to fill out this giant frame compared to a peer who is so much smaller than you.

Overall it just takes more time to get used to your body. An average sized player let’s say needs 2-3 years after their draft year to be ready to make an impact, the bigger player always requires a few extra years.

I am generalizing here, so I’m sure there are some cases where a smaller guy might have taken longer than a bigger guy to develop….

Just look at Tage Thompson as an example of a bigger player who needed more time to fill out his frame, then learn how to use his body to succeed.

A bit off topic to Cossa, but I am hoping that Rasmussen is about to take that extra step forward this year. He’s another bigger bodied player who after being drafted looked like he could have auditioned for Disney on Ice as Bambi. He was just this massive mammoth of a human who lacked the proper muscle mass for somebody his size. He also did not know how to maneuver properly. A few years later and I think it’s finally going to be his break out season. I don’t think he is going to be anything like Tage Thompson, but both bigger boys who needed more time to reach their potential…. Same will be for Cossa.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
As a guy in Chiarot's shoes right now, and has also been there before, you take the time necessary, but after a while, it is good to return to whatever's normal. After a while, you need a distraction too.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
As a guy in Chiarot's shoes right now, and has also been there before, you take the time necessary, but after a while, it is good to return to whatever's normal. After a while, you need a distraction too.
Hope you’re hanging in there, man

Reactions: RRhoads

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad