Post-Game Talk: Preseason game 1 vs Blackhawks 9/16 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Just one game but I didn't really see it with Leipsic either. Not all that effective but it's a process.

I'm guessing Boyd has the early edge on temporary 3C, even if he's not much of a defensive presence at all. Hopefully CMM & Protas both get another game at least. Riat also deserves at least another.

I thought Leipzig was ok, seemed active and in the mix.

Leksand

Oct 30, 2013
Northern VA
Yes, Protas should get some more opportunities (and a pair of breezers his size). He looks slow though. Could really get exposed in a real NHL game. Hope I’m wrong, a delight to watch.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Some more thoughts:

It's hard to evaluate players in a game like this. Both teams were really sloppy, as to be expected from a bunch of kids shaking off the rust with only a couple practices together. Tons of passes to phantom wingers or missing defensemen, especially when teams were trying to establish a down low cycle. Much of the game was just races to loose pucks.

On one hand, I'm pretty convinced Protas won't be making the team this year, so he probably shouldn't stick around much longer over guys contending for Kuzy's suspension gig. On the other hand, he played well enough to warrant a look against more legitimate competition. I'd be curious to see how he does once the pace of the game accelerates.

Mixed feelings on Nardella. He was actually pretty darn solid positionally, and did a pretty great job at keeping his mark to the outside of the rink and away from the danger zones. He just doesn't actually strip the puck away from them or force them into board battles. Still nice to see the awareness, positioning, and skating ability.

I think Boyd probably has the inside track on the open center gig, and played well enough last night to maintain his edge. He also got the Ovie spot on the PP, and back-up Ovie is probably an open gig at the moment given that Connolly is gone and the lack of RD PP options (I don't think Jensen or Gudas is taking over the gunner position, and Carlson already has the top of the point). Oshie and Wilson have bumper position gigs, and neither of them are the type of ranged shooting threat you'd expect from that spot. Eric Fehr was the back-up Ovie for a while before Connolly was around, so I could see Boyd stepping into that in a similar fashion. Will be interesting to see if this plays into management's minds when deciding Boyd's fate (either as a Kuzy center replacement or as a 13th forward).

Djoos was flying. Have to think his leg injury has recovered. He was also given a RD spot (obviously). Reading tea leaves on that may indicate coaching staff views him as 4RD more than 3LD (or general 7D for either side), but that's likely reading too far into it. He did have a couple turnovers on greedy passes, but on at least one of them it looked like the winger was out of sync and could have received it if they had a little more familiarity with each other.

Siegenthaler and Lewington both looked a little rusty at times. Lewington is willing to battle in front, but has to do a better job at knowing his position and avoiding screening his own goalie. Siege was relatively quiet, but was on the ice for multiple goals against (not necessarily his fault).

Only times I really noticed LuJo was when he turned over the puck.

Gersich didn't do much, and the couple times I noticed him was also for turnovers. Not a good game for him in terms of setting himself apart from other depth contenders. His speed should have been a better asset in such a sloppy game.

Didn't really notice Leipsic at all, either negative or positive.

Riat was scrappy, although I would have liked to see him put a little more mustard on that goal of his. Still nice to see him re-assert himself as a legitimate prospect. Not surprising that the Caps brass had him on the top line of minor/junior players (top 6 was NHLers and fringe NHLers, third line was the better minor/junior players).

Snively had some hustle and made a couple nice plays, and I hope he gets to score a goal before he cut. But I don't think he's destined to stay in camp much longer.

Reactions: 895

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Sometime in the 2nd I realised Hathaway was playing too. Seemed like 4th line defensive/forchecking guy. 4 years? Im not an expert though, GMBM knows what to do.

If Panik forgets how to score RW depth will be so-so (Hagelin probably falls into the same)

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I was reading all the scouting reports on Protus and basically none of them think he will be an NHL'er. :(

I hope they are all wrong. :cool:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
IMO the Caps really lucked out that Protas wasn't invited to the combine. I know the skating isn't pretty but the sense and skill are there. Like I said, he's further along than Sanford was (another guy they traded up for). That he was also able to show well at center bodes well.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Just watched the game and from a Swiss perspective I'm very pleased. Riat was surprisingly good, in fact one of the best players of the game...and I'm not even talking about the goal. I didn't expect that but to be fair, his whole line was flying. Stephenson and McMichael were very good. Siegenthaler was good, just as I expected. Looked a bit rusty at times but made up for it with excellent plays both with and without the puck. I'm confident that he'll solidify a spot in the lineup this year.
Other standouts to me besides the ones I already mentioned were Protas, Djoos and Wilson (even though anything else would have been disappointing in a game like that)
I think Reirden and his staff can be pleased, too. Wilson seems sharp in mid September already and the most hopeful ones of the youngsters in the lineup looked good, too.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I actually thought LuJo looked good. I liked his mobility and he seemed sound defensively. The turnovers didn't bother me much as now is the time for guys to try to make plays and get adjusted to the speed of the NHL game.

I'd really like to see Johansen with someone other than Lewington. Put him with Jensen, Djoos, or Carlson.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Watched the game today and I thought everyone looked ok except Copley and Stephenson who is an absolute black hole on offense and nothing special on defense.

Thanks for the memories but I really hope they move him or send him to Hershey.

itsjustsurvival

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
Watched the game today and I thought everyone looked ok except Copley and Stephenson who is an absolute black hole on offense and nothing special on defense.

He would also be my first choice to move. He adds very little to the roster.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Well, Stephenson was part of the best line in that game and that line apparently did very well in practice, too. You can argue that he was carried by McMichael and Rod who certainly created more than Stephenson but it always takes 3 players for a good line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad