GDT: PRESEASON CAR VS NSH 6PM CDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think it went off a CAR D skate, but good game from Trenin, and at least McCarron was there. So far Gurianov isn't selling me... if they love some intangibles about McCarron, I am not going to complain about him as the #14 F. :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Gurianov is quick and that's about it. Well he can take out Refs apparently though.
I don't know if he's "quick" per se... he has long legs and can skate fast enough in a straight line. He also has a heavy shot. He obviously has more talent than McCarron. But... when you are talking about a #13/14 forward, I think the dressing room stuff probably does matter more. :dunno:

Has anybody noticed Del Gaizo so far? I am not watching this game as closely as the last one. So far I haven't seen a reason to think he's not the other cut? :dunno:

Haha, as I typed that I uh... just noticed Del Gaizo... whups... :laugh:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Not feeling Gurianov or Barrie
My thought with Barrie was that... even though his warts emerged late last season in his own zone... he was pretty decent at first, and that he might actually help boost our PP in some significant way. Except now... ehhh... his initial small-sample of adequate defensive zone play at first last season was probably atypical... and then we are also looking pretty good IMO when we put 4F on the PP... and especially when the younger players are moving the puck more quickly.

Barrie's trade value probably does depend on him putting up points this year. But that is the difference between trading him for a 2nd round pick and a 3/4/5-round pick? I mean, we have lots of picks... I would not bend over backwards to try to maximize that TDL return. :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That was a good play by Gurianov... he was not even close to winning that race. So pushing it forward and drawing the penalty was perfect.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Aside: Cole Smith still looks like nothing whatsoever in NHL games. The way the team has consistently pumped his tires, I still accept him as the default #12/13F. You don't pump a guy to that extent and then cut him. But... :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Lankinen has been very solid. I did not in any way anticipate or appreciate the signing when we first grabbed him and jettisoned Ingram. But I have to say, Lankinen is exactly what we needed at this juncture and is doing a fine job. He is indeed "very capable".

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
You cannot be the front-man for a rock band playing the sax. Am I wrong? :dunno:

(All you can be is a cool background guy on an occasional song?)

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Annnnnd the wheels come off....
Well, we are playing the full NHL roster of a team considered by many to be one of the top Cup-conternders for the coming season. So I am not too bothered by the final score. If they kill us 5-1, ok.

That aside... we have lost games in this pre-season and seen some better efforts or "intriguing" things in isolation... this game does not have much to recommend it on that front. Nothing much seems to be working. :(

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Keep in mind too we are team learning a new system with a ton of new players. Carolina is basically playing the same system with many of the same players. I expect them to be way better than us at this point.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It ended up being a "throwaway game" that I would not factor too much into any of the remaining roster decisions. Whatever they decide for the remaining cuts or lineup decisions... I think it is necessarily going to be based on "everything to date" moreso than anything that happened tonight. :dunno:

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
It's early, but there's a part of me wondering if the system will create offensive opportunities while we still have the same issue of not finishing those opportunities.

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
Seems to me the system, at least offensively, is intended to get players open for shots. The Preds just need work on shooting. Someone (MacKenzie) ((?)), Bordeleau and/or Gerbe) ????, should really be working on shooting with some of the Preds on-the NHL roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad