GDT: Preseason (all games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Alright havent been following at all and probably won’t until the opener next week but I’m completely ready to be hurt again, which is good. We’re firing up the Rossi preaseason hype train again I see? Love it

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I know he scored, but man, Foligno is not looking fast. I thought he was supposed to be in great shape. WTH is he gonna be like 3-5 years from now? Merrill looking slow, too.

Faber looked good, even though he couldn’t finish on a couple of plays, and made a bad play on Hall’s goal.

Rossi looks a little bit stronger, a little bit faster, which is exactly what he needed. Don’t sense any great chemistry between him, Foligno, and Gaudreau, but these things take time. At least Foligno will watch his back until he gets acclimated to the league.

Once again, Addison looks good on the PP, so so otherwise.

2nd PP still looks like crap. The sooner Rossi starts taking it over, the better.

Korchinski looks good, as did Kaiser. Bedard will be fine… it’s not like he is playing with any geniuses out there.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Losing Spurgeon for any significant amount of time would throw a huge wrinkle into this season's start. I personally think the team's RD depth is far more of a concern than the center depth that the media seems to pin as our major issue. Addison is not top 4 capable in my eyes, Nick Foligno clowned on him tonight, actually talented players eat him alive in the D zone, and his 5v5 play is entirely mediocre. If he isn't doing set passing plays, he seems to be very lost at actually reading the ice.

Faber was really good, but even he had a rookie mistake turn into a GA. I did like how he was jumping into the play, I don't see why everyone says his offensive potential is so low. He seems to be quite involved in the offensive zone and off the rush, he gets the puck to the net quickly, and makes excellent reads in the neutral zone for turnover offense. Goligoski put up 40 points on this team doing worse versions of all those things.

Speaking of... I respect Goligoski like crazy, I wish we would have had him earlier in his career, but he is past the point of being an effective regular. Not that Merrill is much better, and this would mean more play time for him too.

Hunt injured, Spacek too green, SJo was flat out bad in camp, ROR wasn't any better than SJo, which leaves Mermis as the obvious internal option. Meh IMO.

I bet the Wild scouts are going to be highly interested in the Waiver list over the next couple of days.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Hunt injured, Spacek too green, SJo was flat out bad in camp, ROR wasn't any better than SJo, which leaves Mermis as the obvious internal option. Meh IMO.

I bet the Wild scouts are going to be highly interested in the Waiver list over the next couple of days.

You're reading far too much into callups. $818k is all the space MN has. The only d-man in the AHL that costs less than that is Mermis. Not accounting for potential paper waiver cap games and such.

This is without Spurgeon going on LTIR. 24 days and 10 games is LTIR requirement. So the earliest MN could get him back would be the first weekend in November. That is either the game on the 2nd or the 4th. Depending on if the last preseason game counts as a missed game or not, I don't know the rules for that.

If Spurgeon goes on LTIR then the cap isn't a pressing issue, but MN won't be able to accumulate any cap space.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
If spurgeons out for a while, well I’ll just say that ain’t good. Why do I get the feeling we’re going to regress.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What D gets PP time if Spurgeon is out ?
Goligoski, Brodin, and Faber, in that order. Goligoski is ok on the #2 PP... they've got worse problems to solve there, like learning how to enter the zone, how to string more than two passes together, etc.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Only when Spurgeon is out or all season then?

When Spurgeon is out. They can technically accumulate some cap space by staying under the cap (no callups, or league min callup), but the savings would be so small it wouldn't be worth it imo.

If Spurgeon is out for the season they'll basically his entire cap hit in LTIR cap space.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille