GDT: Preseason #7 | Flames vs Jets @ 6pm MT

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
FLAMES (2-3-1) @ JETS (1-2-1) @ 6 p.m. MT

Live Stream: CalgaryFlames.com

RADIO: Sportsnet 960 The FAN

cut.jpg

The Flames close out their road pre-season schedule tonight, taking on the Winnipeg Jets at 6:00 PM MT.

CalgaryFlames.com will carry tonight's game and Sportsnet 960 The FAN will host the radio broadcast.

The Flames used the following lines and pairings in their morning skate in Winnipeg:

Lines

Matthew Tkachuk - Elias Lindholm - Blake Coleman
Andrew Mangiapane - Dillon Dube - Brett Ritchie
Brad Richardson - Mikael Backlund - Trevor Lewis
Milan Lucic - Glenn Gawdin - Walker Duehr

Pairings

Nikita Zadorov - Christopher Tanev
Noah Hanifin - Rasmus Andersson
Oliver Kylington - Erik Gudbranson
Juuso Valimaki - Michael Stone

The Flames ran with four defence pairings at the morning skate - the Flames website will be updated at game time with the pairings from warm-ups

Goaltenders

Dan Vladar
Jacob Markstrom

Last edited:

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
No Johnny. No Mony. Makes me wonder whether there might actually be something in the works for Eichel.

I can't imagine this will be a very high-scoring game, at least not on our end. That bottom-six should be tough to play against, though. Glad to see Gawdin and Duehr drawing back in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanuuk

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
No Johnny. No Mony. Makes me wonder whether there might actually be something in the works for Eichel.

I can't imagine this will be a very high-scoring game, at least not on our end. That bottom-six should be tough to play against, though. Glad to see Gawdin and Duehr drawing back in.
Wouldn't read too much into it. We're getting to the last couple pre season games. Everyone knows what we have in Johnny and Sean. This is the last chance to see some of the others, and the last chance to battle for bottom 6 spots. And the more they see of them, the more feedback and gameplan our cowxhing staff will be able to give them before they get assigned to Stockton

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
Wouldn't read too much into it. We're getting to the last couple pre season games. Everyone knows what we have in Johnny and Sean. This is the last chance to see some of the others, and the last chance to battle for bottom 6 spots. And the more they see of them, the more feedback and gameplan our cowxhing staff will be able to give them before they get assigned to Stockton

It's probably nothing. I just remembered that Johnny didn't return for precautionary reasons the other night, and the thought simply crossed my mind.

Our lineup is actually more interesting tonight than I initially gave it credit for. Chance to see Coleman again and Dube at C.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
I'm really hoping for a solid game from the General. I was kind of hoping Sutter would pair him up with Stone.

Kylington with Guddy might actually be genius lol

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If dube plays a top 9 C role abs Kylington is a top 4 D with Tanev, I think this team could be really good.
Otherwise I think we are destined to finish anywhere from 11th to 20th

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
If dube plays a top 9 C role abs Kylington is a top 4 D with Tanev, I think this team could be really good.
Otherwise I think we are destined to finish anywhere from 11th to 20th
Sutter interview today made it clear he currently does not view Kylington as a top 4 Dman. Says he's struggled to stick as a regular due to giving the puck up too much. Sutter said if he could dress 4 pairings he'd play Vali/Stone.

He went on to say that at this point it is how the current pairings play. Without naming three Dman he said they're top 4.

My read on his cryptic comments is that the top D pairing is settled. The second pairing is unsettled with the 2LD job up for grabs, but its Zad's to lose. Shill must keep going onwards and upwards by not coughing up the puck. He has confidence in Vali and Stone.

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
If the pressure of cracking the roster wasn't enough, now we're going to critique your play after pairing you with Guddy lmao

Darth Vladar

Sep 10, 2021
I get that Sutter is high on Zad, I just question his adamancy to make it work with Tanev. Maybe they'll be better tonight, but I'd still prefer Zad to be third-pairing with Stone. Regardless, I don't see any scenario where Kyller isn't the odd man out, save for putting Guddy on waivers, which I wouldn't be 100% opposed to.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
This is a Sutter tactic. He only calls out players that he really believes in. Gaudreau, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Valimaki have all gone through this

Can’t reiterate this enough. Oliver has gotten lots of opportunity for a reason and Sutter knows he’s talented as heck, so he’s going to push to see everything he has to give.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
If Kylington or Valimaki can't displace Zadorov in the top 4 this will be a loooooong season.

Dube at C yes
Walker Duehr still hanging around is pretty cool too.
One of them already has through six preseason games…only question is whether Sutter is smart enough to figure that out (spoiler, he’s not)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad