GDT: Preseason #1 • "Nothing Matters (Yet)" • Sept 24 2023 • 4:00 PM • Winnipeg @ Edmonton

How excited are you for the new season?

• Bleh. I'll watch Netflix and football instead.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm expressing my disgust with the upcoming season by voting for this option.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
My recollection, but they had about 4 phases:

1) October - November. Offense was very good. Defense (forward are included in this) was terrible and hung out the Goaltending. Outscored their mistakes.
2) November - December. Offense was pretty good. Defense started to improve but still lacking. Goaltending (Campbell in particular) was terrible. Could outscore their mistakes sometimes but more times than not, they couldnt.
3) January - Trade Deadline. Offense was very good. Defense improved and was good. Goaltending improved.
4) Trade Deadline - End of Year. Offense/Defense was very good. Goaltending was good. (About the best this teams ever played in any type of recent memory).

But then playoffs started and we seen a mixture of everything throughout the year. Like I said, I dont think the team has good habits or consistency.

Just the way I saw last year. Maybe I am wrong.
They were definitely outscoring their mistakes early on but 7-3 is 7-3. People are acting like they were unprepared for last season and the reality is that they were 7-3. I also recall there being some wins that should have been losses but the record is what it is.

I think we can all agree that the Ekholm acquisition was massive and transformed the defense. We've been crying out for a trade for a Dman of that ilk for years/decade because we could all see what a big difference it makes to have most of the Dmen playing in their proper roles which Ekholm allowed. Now if we can get Ceci down a pairing when the next upgrade happens, they'll really be ready to go Cup hunting.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They were definitely outscoring their mistakes early on but 7-3 is 7-3. People are acting like they were unprepared for last season and the reality is that they were 7-3. I also recall there being some wins that should have been losses but the record is what it is.

I think we can all agree that the Ekholm acquisition was massive and transformed the defense. We've been crying out for a trade for a Dman of that ilk for years/decade because we could all see what a big difference it makes to have most of the Dmen playing in their proper roles which Ekholm allowed. Now if we can get Ceci down a pairing when the next upgrade happens, they'll really be ready to go Cup hunting.
Then they went 3-7 the next 10 games....

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Agree to disagree. With Colorado, Tampa etc out early the Oilers had the inside track on the cup. A lot of pundits felt that way. This was pretty much a gift year for Vegas to not have to go against any team that had won cups. Then getting Florida in the final. Do you really think the Oilers wouldn't be able to beat Florida?

Essentially the Oilers had to get by Vegas and Dallas. Coaching f***ed things up against Vegas (schemes plus goaltending start choices) Had we got by Vegas we probably have a cup because Dallas was getting questionable goaltending.

In anycase whether theres a point to dwelling on anything now its natural for people to do so. I don't look at it one way or the other. The hardest thing about this board is the serial posters that just decide to mock almost any other poster (not you). I've heard people say thats what is keeping them away, the Sheer abusive nature of the board now. To each other.

It's not about whether or not the Oilers would have gotten past Florida (I think they might have), it's more that I don't think they matched up well against Dallas. Vegas did. In any case, I'm absolutely tired of talking about last playoffs so I won't be adding any more input on that.

It's fine for people to dwell for longer than necessary (I guess that's what people do, ask Flames fans about 'it crossed the line', or this fanbase about MAB, which IMO was worth dwelling on because it was the actual Finals, unlike last year which was a 2nd round exit, far too many variables to assume they would win if they beat Vegas). In a discussion forum where a lot of people want to talk about the future of the team ("Hockey's Future"), I don't think those that are dwelling should be too shocked when they see more and more posters become less active and stop coming here altogether.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

7-3 is 7-3, but that very, very easily could have been 3-7. A bunch of those wins were frantic comebacks and the team wasn't playing good hockey at all. There was certainly some luck involved. The next stretch was actually 3-7, which without some fortune in the fist 11 games could have buried us.

Reactions: joestevens29

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I generally agree with a lot of what you post. But I don't think its the bolded. Its that the Oilers historically ride McDrai too hard in relatively meaningless segments of the season. They are almost always the ones carrying the mail. I'll also note it was the most consistent season for several players, Nuge, Hyman, Bouchard, even players like Ryan played their best.

Rather than inconsistency its mental or physical fatigue that takes tolls and the absolute doldrums involved in a season that is this long.

The team, well its core, has tons of good habits. But the team doesn't seem to know when to elevate for all the marbles. With teams that win cups you see subtantial elevation in how the teams play vs regular season. You see increased intensity, focus, etc. Yet in the entire McDrai era the Oilers have only dominated one playoff series they've been in. This team has never really figured out the gear it takes to win in the playoffs. Or that they need to be saving some energy further to that. I think this team is often guilty of overuse of star players during regular season and leaving them with less left in the tank. So that they hit walls.
Where were these meaningless games? Because I seem to recall we were in the running for the division title until game 82.

Imagine if we played the apathetic Jets instead of a motivated Kings squad.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Where were these meaningless games? Because I seem to recall we were in the running for the division title until game 82.

Imagine if we played the apathetic Jets instead of a motivated Kings squad.

With the strength of the division it is more important than ever to get that wild card matchup in the first round. WC -> LA/Vegas -> Colorado/Dallas is a much, much easier road to hoe through the West than LA/Vegas -> LA/Vegas -> Dallas/Colorado.

Winning the Division, and preferably the Conference is absolutely paramount, especially when the Central team that makes it to the Conference Final will likely be able to tap dance through the first round no matter who they play.

As you say, these games are anything but meaningless until we have the Division locked up.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
With the strength of the division it is more important than ever to get that wild card matchup in the first round. WC -> LA/Vegas -> Colorado/Dallas is a much, much easier road to hoe through the West than LA/Vegas -> LA/Vegas -> Dallas/Colorado.

Winning the Division, and preferably the Conference is absolutely paramount, especially when the Central team that makes it to the Conference Final will likely be able to tap dance through the first round no matter who they play.

As you say, these games are anything but meaningless until we have the Division locked up.
The Jets simply didn't care and we would've pushed them aside as easily as Vegas did, whereas Vegas and the Kings probably would've beat each other up considerably.

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
I know this is fantasy...but I wish the Owners (all NHL teams) could take the Pre-season out of season ticket packs, and make the seats super affordable. Like $35 lower bowl and $20 upperbowl to really pack in the fans who could normally never go to a game.
You would have a playoff atmosphere to amp up the preseason and also pay back to the fans that can't normally afford games. Treat it as a break-even or even a loss and give thousands of tickets to charities as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I don't really get this. The Oilers struggle to find their way against virtually any playoff opponent and so I don't even mind if they get tested in first round. Could even be said that the weak ass Calgary Flames were the worst preparation possible to be facing Colorado.

When the Oilers of lore had won cups they never worried about who they were going to be facing. Like they used to say you gotta play through some good teams to win the cup. you don't hope not to be playing them.

Any team that requres an easy path to final likely doesn't arrive there anyhoo.

Reactions: Duke74

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I don't really get this. The Oilers struggle to find their way against virtually any playoff opponent and so I don't even mind if they get tested in first round. Could even be said that the weak ass Calgary Flames were the worst preparation possible to be facing Colorado.

When the Oilers of lore had won cups they never worried about who they were going to be facing. Like they used to say you gotta play through some good teams to win the cup. you don't hope not to be playing them.

I long for the day when this team doesn't sputter and stop playing during the playoffs and decides to bulldoze teams. F*** competitive match ups against other teams in the playoffs. Lay waste to them and give us tensionless hockey so we can get that cup and have loads of fun watching the boys get to it! 😈lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I long for the day when this team doesn't sputter and stop playing during the playoffs and decides to bulldoze teams. F*** competitive match ups against other teams in the playoffs. Lay waste to them and give us tensionless hockey so we can get that cup and have loads of fun watching the boys get to it! 😈lol
Yep We need more series like against the Flames where the team finally got a bit angry in playoffs and laid the boots to a club. Again this is the ONLY time in any series in playoffs during the McDrai era that this has occurred. Theres a certain amount of anger, something, that just seems missing from this club. Its like they don't know how to dial up the determination in playoffs to killshot clubs.

Even when a player like Drai makes such a statement game scoring 4 goals in a playoff game, we lose the game..

Indeed that game 1 against Vegas is how we lose. Its that kind of game that spells our playoff fortunes.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I don't perceive it as a necessity, but if we could avoid a war in the first round it would benefit the team in the long run I think as the playoffs progress. Long, physical series in the first round (which are even worse if there are OT games involved) will start to hurt the deeper you get no matter how good you are.

You're right that they ease their way in, but generally that goes away after Game 1 (assuming this incredibly frustrating trait continues next playoff).

Yep We need more series like against the Flames where the team finally got a bit angry in playoffs and laid the boots to a club. Again this is the ONLY time in any series in playoffs during the McDrai era that this has occurred. Theres a certain amount of anger, something, that just seems missing from this club. Its like they don't know how to dial up the determination in playoffs to killshot clubs.

Even when a player like Drai makes such a statement game scoring 4 goals in a playoff game, we lose the game..

Indeed that game 1 against Vegas is how we lose. Its that kind of game that spells our playoff fortunes.

I don't think the Oilers will be short of this type of mentality at all when/if we play Vegas again.

I'm more worried that they'll not match the fire that LA will bring to the series if we find them again. I know that we're the better team, but beating us is their cup, and we have our sights further.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I know this is fantasy...but I wish the Owners (all NHL teams) could take the Pre-season out of season ticket packs, and make the seats super affordable. Like $35 lower bowl and $20 upperbowl to really pack in the fans who could normally never go to a game.
You would have a playoff atmosphere to amp up the preseason and also pay back to the fans that can't normally afford games. Treat it as a break-even or even a loss and give thousands of tickets to charities as well.
What is really f***ed is that if I wanted to sell my tickets for this game, the minimum price I am allowed to list for on ticketmaster is $29 dollars plus the predatory ticketmaster fees.

So a bunch of seats will no doubt go empty because the NHL/Team doesn't want to admit that a meaningless game has no value to most fans.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I agree with this except I would add a qualifier...directed and focused anger.

To speak to this...one of the things that comes to mind for me is the brutal Peiterangelo slash on Drai. Instead of being a rallying point for the team ( a perfect opportunity to fuel the team) that slash completely took the wind out of the Oilers sails. The team had nothing after that...completely rattled and that includes Leon. That IMO was an indicator of team mental weakness. An important ingredient if they hope to win the Cup.

You and I were around to see the 80's Oilers. There is no way that non hockey on ice incident would have rattled that team. It would have motivated them.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I'm glad they're fielding an almost full lineup, get the regs into game shape make faster cuts don't keep the baggage around too long

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What is really f***ed is that if I wanted to sell my tickets for this game, the minimum price I am allowed to list for on ticketmaster is $29 dollars plus the predatory ticketmaster fees.

So a bunch of seats will no doubt go empty because the NHL/Team doesn't want to admit that a meaningless game has no value to most fans.
Legally speaking why is ticketmaster allowed to tariff and tax every transaction? How many times can Ticketmaster fee benefit on the backs of the same ticket? Lets say for some reason a ticket is sold 10 different times. Is Ticketmaster collecting the same exchange on every resale conducted through them?

Ticketmaster have long claimed that their inordinate expense is having to adapt to every venue, price scale and that their large costs are setting up inventory control and price point sales for every sport and venue etc. That this programming is somehow expensive. That could be said if a ticketmaster was new to the game as a startup. But as ongoing all they have to do is throw up largely the same templates.

If I'm the NHL I'm also concerned how many times Ticketmaster is getting a slice of the ticket revenue threw resales of same ticket and NHL not really benefitting much from that. Why wouldn't the NHL just by itself start selling its own tickets and collect the surcharges? With programming and server capabilities now this would be quite possible for NHL to setup and do all their own ticketing in house. Its amazing in 2023 that ticketmaster is still having their anti-competitive practice in every pie.

I agree with this except I would add a qualifier...directed and focused anger.

To speak to this...one of the things that comes to mind for me is the brutal Peiterangelo slash on Drai. Instead of being a rallying point for the team ( a perfect opportunity to fuel the team) that slash completely took the wind out of the Oilers sails. The team had nothing after that...completely rattled and that includes Leon. That IMO was an indicator of team mental weakness. An important ingredient if they hope to win the Cup.

You and I were around to see the 80's Oilers. There is no way that non hockey on ice incident would have rattled that team. It would have motivated them.
Well expressed. Nice companion points to my initial post. Whereas the Oilers of the past would punish a club for such a transgression the Oilers unravelled. First Nurse went after petro which Drai said for him not to do, Nurse got the game suspension and we critically lost that game, a very critical game in the series.

Directed and focused anger. Good call.

Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't perceive it as a necessity, but if we could avoid a war in the first round it would benefit the team in the long run I think as the playoffs progress. Long, physical series in the first round (which are even worse if there are OT games involved) will start to hurt the deeper you get no matter how good you are.

You're right that they ease their way in, but generally that goes away after Game 1 (assuming this incredibly frustrating trait continues next playoff).

I don't think the Oilers will be short of this type of mentality at all when/if we play Vegas again.

I'm more worried that they'll not match the fire that LA will bring to the series if we find them again. I know that we're the better team, but beating us is their cup, and we have our sights further.
Interesting reply. I'm not sure if the Oilers even consider that a team they beat twice in the playoffs in consecutive years will definitely bring everything to the fight. Teams often enough get revenge at some point in playoffs. Even Calgary got it in 86. That worries me a bit.

What concerns me is how the Oilers are not able to manufacture more ill will for divisional opponents. You mention that Oilers will have more moxy against Vegas after the first playoff series. Why should it take that with divisional opponents that you see a lot of? In your opinion did the Canadian Divsion season interrupt that? The Oilers should not only be better prepared for divisional opponents and know what to expect but should have the most ill will against them.

This is the thing. The only club the Oilers hated was Calgary and they thumped them good and proper. I'm sure they dislike LA by now as well but it shouldn't take this much to develop competitive animosities. The teams that beat us in the playoffs are disliking the Oilers more than the converse.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well expressed. Nice companion points to my initial post. Whereas the Oilers of the past would punish a club for such a transgression the Oilers unravelled. First Nurse went after petro which Drai said for him not to do, Nurse got the game suspension and we critically lost that game, a very critical game in the series.

Directed and focused anger. Good call.
I guess an argument could be made that it was the turning point of the series.
Hopefully the team is mentally tougher because of that incident and wont wilt when they get tested this time around.

Terry Jones coined a phrase about the 80's Oilers before they went on to win...weak kneed wimps.
That team matured. They figured it out.

That phrase actually perfectly describes this team...weak kneed wimps.
That incident made them take their ball and go home. They quit.
Now they get to show they have toughened up and matured. That they have what it takes.
Here's hoping.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad