GDT: Preseason #1 • "Nothing Matters (Yet)" • Sept 24 2023 • 4:00 PM • Winnipeg @ Edmonton

How excited are you for the new season?

• Bleh. I'll watch Netflix and football instead.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm expressing my disgust with the upcoming season by voting for this option.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Well sounds like McDavid and Draisaitl are playing Wednesday. Hopefully we get close to a NHL roster.

Hopefully we see:

Kane - McDavid - Brown (curious to see what kind of chemistry they have)
Janmark - Ryan - Lavoie (hope Lavoie gets a chance with what an actual 4th line could be)

I assume that McLeod and Ekholm wont be back for this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
this site is pretty funny after a few practices and one game. Not just this board but other boards are just too quick for a knee jerk reaction to a very small sample size using about 30% of the actual teams we will see

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Woodcroft ran a crappy training camp last season where he wasted like 6 out of the 8 games by playing almost entire scrub lineups. The vets ended up being slow out of the gate AND no one really knew how good the prospects were because they were playing with AHLers and 4th line fillers in most of their preseason games.

They didn’t start the season well last year. And the poor training camp was a part of the reason why. You could literally see the rust in their first ten games. You can say that it didn’t really matter in the end because we still made the playoffs, but it might’ve cost us the division title. And who knows, maybe LA would’ve beaten Vegas in Round One instead.

It’s only been two games so far so hopefully Woody learned from his mistake last year.
Have we ever started a season good during the McDrai era? We usually have a decent October then when the CFR starts we become one of the worst teams until January. Then we go on a heater until the end of the season and make the playoffs. It would be nice to have a good start and stay consistent all year for a change.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Have we ever started a season good during the McDrai era? We usually have a decent October then when the CFR starts we become one of the worst teams until January. Then we go on a heater until the end of the season and make the playoffs. It would be nice to have a good start and stay consistent all year for a change.

How the team plays in the first 10 games of the regular season will be telling for me.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don't really see it that way the bolded. Maybe I'm not seeing all the posts. I'm having no reaction at all. Stuff I know about the club I already suspected and were confirmed in playoffs the entire McDrai era. I don't agree its two exhibition games thats causing this or any reaction. Its more a reaction to a team that has had the two best players on earth on the same club for almost a decade, virtually incomparable situation, and that ultimately hasn't ever accomplished much in the playoffs.

I say this often. Biggest chance to win the SC was last season and it should have occurred for the Oil. It was an off year for other contenders and Vegas nabbed it. Any other year and Vegas aren't winning the cup either imo. It was the Oilers biggest chance, it was wide open.

Hopefully this season has similar possibilities but I do think it will be harder this season and playoffs.

Anyway, again I'm not having a reaction at all to exhibition games. I didn't really even post on the topic. That said I did have a reaction after the playoffs. For sure I did.
Just posting this because I can kind of see several sides on all this.
We blew a huge opportunity last playoffs. Every true contender got knocked out early.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yes, they start well just about every year then plummet around the holidays.

Better than the years we were out of it by Halloween at least.
Did any of you guys actually watch last season? Again, they were 7-3 in the first 10 games.
The season before, they started 9-1. The starts to the season have NOT been the problem.

Edit: It seems like you're talking about years past like the DoD.

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Did any of you guys actually watch last season? Again, they were 7-3 in the first 10 games.
I’m at the point where whatever happens during the regular season is irrelevant. They’ll make the playoffs and hopefully win the division. After that it’s all unknown.

Reactions: Duke74

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

The season before, they started 9-1. The starts to the season have NOT been the problem.

Edit: It seems like you're talking about years past like the DoD.

Our record wasnt too bad to start the year (last year) but we played some pretty dreadful defensive hockey to start. Outscored our mistakes though. Wasnt much of a warm welcome for the goaltending. I think the Team needs to instill better habits to start the year and be more consistent.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Our record wasnt too bad to start the year (last year) but we played some pretty dreadful defensive hockey to start. Outscored our mistakes though. Wasnt much of a warm welcome for the goaltending. I think the Team needs to instill better habits to start the year and be more consistent.
Whats your plan?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They did that the entire season until the Ekholm trade, it wasn't a matter of them not being ready to start the season. Starting the season on time hasn't been an issue in the entire McDavid era really outside of a year or two, it's taking that long Holiday nap that has forced them to scramble in February and March to solidify playoff position.

Also, are any of you guys experience issues accessing HF? I'm getting a lot of "page not found" on multiple browsers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I can understand that some here haven’t gotten over the playoffs. And while I think Vegas is one of the weakest cup winners in a long time, I also don’t think last year was the Oilers’ “year”. I feel the blame rests on multiple shoulders, from the players (including the stars), some poor coaching decisions and perhaps needing another upgrade or two (though I feel Holland had a good TDL). Frankly, the team just wasn’t good enough. It is what it is. If they aren’t good enough to win it all with the team after the TDL, then they should seriously consider a big shakeup. Jackson and his new crew will be a fresh set of eyes for that

But really, I don’t see the point of dwelling on this now, and I certainly don’t see why some posters here are being so negative when the season hasn’t even started and the roster is in a good spot.

Place has become quite toxic and I’m sure I’m not the only one who still comes here due to routine
Agree to disagree. With Colorado, Tampa etc out early the Oilers had the inside track on the cup. A lot of pundits felt that way. This was pretty much a gift year for Vegas to not have to go against any team that had won cups. Then getting Florida in the final. Do you really think the Oilers wouldn't be able to beat Florida?

Essentially the Oilers had to get by Vegas and Dallas. Coaching f***ed things up against Vegas (schemes plus goaltending start choices) Had we got by Vegas we probably have a cup because Dallas was getting questionable goaltending.

In anycase whether theres a point to dwelling on anything now its natural for people to do so. I don't look at it one way or the other. The hardest thing about this board is the serial posters that just decide to mock almost any other poster (not you). I've heard people say thats what is keeping them away, the Sheer abusive nature of the board now. To each other.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
They did that the entire season until the Ekholm trade, it wasn't a matter of them not being ready to start the season. Starting the season on time hasn't been an issue in the entire McDavid era really outside of a year or two, it's taking that long Holiday nap that has forced them to scramble in February and March to solidify playoff position.

Also, are any of you guys experience issues accessing HF? I'm getting a lot of "page not found" on multiple browsers.
It’s also been very slow to load today when it does decide to “cooperate”. Must be doing another unannounced upgrade ;).

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

My recollection, but they had about 4 phases:

1) October - November. Offense was very good. Defense (forward are included in this) was terrible and hung out the Goaltending. Outscored their mistakes.
2) November - December. Offense was pretty good. Defense started to improve but still lacking. Goaltending (Campbell in particular) was terrible. Could outscore their mistakes sometimes but more times than not, they couldnt.
3) January - Trade Deadline. Offense was very good. Defense improved and was good. Goaltending improved.
4) Trade Deadline - End of Year. Offense/Defense was very good. Goaltending was good. (About the best this teams ever played in any type of recent memory).

But then playoffs started and we seen a mixture of everything throughout the year. Like I said, I dont think the team has good habits or consistency.

Just the way I saw last year. Maybe I am wrong.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
My recollection, but they had about 4 phases:

1) October - November. Offense was very good. Defense (forward are included in this) was terrible and hung out the Goaltending. Outscored their mistakes.
2) November - December. Offense was pretty good. Defense started to improve but still lacking. Goaltending (Campbell in particular) was terrible. Could outscore their mistakes sometimes but more times than not, they couldnt.
3) January - Trade Deadline. Offense was very good. Defense improved and was good. Goaltending improved.
4) Trade Deadline - End of Year. Offense/Defense was very good. Goaltending was good. (About the best this teams ever played in any type of recent memory).

But then playoffs started and we seen a mixture of everything throughout the year. Like I said, I dont think the team has good habits or consistency.

It goes back to the lack of mental fortitude that some (maybe you, can't recall) yesterday were discussing. They still struggle to start games/series/seasons with the right level of confidence in their game to just play properly and take it to the other team.

They were absolutely cooking down the stretch, then they get to game 1 and it's like they feel out of place and basically put themselves back to square 1. It was stunning this time, especially when they took out the Kings (twice), Vegas and the Avalanche down the stretch playing grinding, playoff style hockey in all of them. Then Game 1 starts and it's right back to disjointed nonsense hockey.

The talent is there, they just have to play like they own the place rather than act like they're guests at the ball.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I generally agree with a lot of what you post. But I don't think its the bolded. Its that the Oilers historically ride McDrai too hard in relatively meaningless segments of the season. They are almost always the ones carrying the mail. I'll also note it was the most consistent season for several players, Nuge, Hyman, Bouchard, even players like Ryan played their best.

Rather than inconsistency its mental or physical fatigue that takes tolls and the absolute doldrums involved in a season that is this long.

The team, well its core, has tons of good habits. But the team doesn't seem to know when to elevate for all the marbles. With teams that win cups you see subtantial elevation in how the teams play vs regular season. You see increased intensity, focus, etc. Yet in the entire McDrai era the Oilers have only dominated one playoff series they've been in. This team has never really figured out the gear it takes to win in the playoffs. Or that they need to be saving some energy further to that. I think this team is often guilty of overuse of star players during regular season and leaving them with less left in the tank. So that they hit walls.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Toronto board must be busy planning the cup parade again. At least it isn't just the Oilers muffing chances.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I generally agree with a lot of what you post. But I don't think its the bolded. Its that the Oilers historically ride McDrai too hard in relatively meaningless segments of the season. They are almost always the ones carrying the mail. I'll also note it was the most consistent season for several players, Nuge, Hyman, Bouchard, even players like Ryan played their best.

Rather than inconsistency its mental or physical fatigue that takes tolls and the absolute doldrums involved in a season that is this long.

The team, well its core, has tons of good habits. But the team doesn't seem to know when to elevate for all the marbles. With teams that win cups you see subtantial elevation in how the teams play vs regular season. You see increased intensity, focus, etc. Yet in the entire McDrai era the Oilers have only dominated one playoff series they've been in. This team has never really figured out the gear it takes to win in the playoffs. Or that they need to be saving some energy further to that. I think this team is often guilty of overuse of star players during regular season and leaving them with less left in the tank. So that they hit walls.

I recently watched a youtube video of all the Oilers goals from the last year. The amount of times McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH and Hyman were mentioned at the begining of the video (beginning of the year) was mind numbing. It was basically those 4 guys (with McDavid and Draisaitl) in particular carrying the offense (Kane was injured pretty early). In the second half of the season, it was a much better and balanced approach. Essentially the team is better when everyone is going and pulling their weight (which shouldnt be a surprise).

But I do think that McDavid and Draisaitl are on the ice for too many goals against. I think both guys can play defense. But I dont know how much of this is McDavid/Draisaitl not focusing on the details and how much it is just the coaching staff overplaying them. Its a combination of both obviously.

I think its pretty important that we see the team get ahead early in the season and play well throughout the year. I think getting everyone involved right off the bat is important, to not overplay (especially Draisaitl) is important. Its why I partially disagree with a good amount of posters that the bottom 6 isnt that important on the team. When our bottom 6 was good last year (January to end of year), its when this team played their best. Ekholm for the entire year should help a lot obviously.

Laodongxi

Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I’ve often thought that we have the best fanbase. And also the worst fanbase. ;)

“It was the best of fanbases, it was the worst of fanbases, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.”​

(sorry, couldn't resist)

• Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I recently watched a youtube video of all the Oilers goals from the last year. The amount of times McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH and Hyman were mentioned at the begining of the video (beginning of the year) was mind numbing. It was basically those 4 guys (with McDavid and Draisaitl) in particular carrying the offense (Kane was injured pretty early). In the second half of the season, it was a much better and balanced approach. Essentially the team is better when everyone is going and pulling their weight (which shouldnt be a surprise).

But I do think that McDavid and Draisaitl are on the ice for too many goals against. I think both guys can play defense. But I dont know how much of this is McDavid/Draisaitl not focusing on the details and how much it is just the coaching staff overplaying them. Its a combination of both obviously.

I think its pretty important that we see the team get ahead early in the season and play well throughout the year. I think getting everyone involved right off the bat is important, to not overplay (especially Draisaitl) is important. Its why I partially disagree with a good amount of posters that the bottom 6 isnt that important on the team. When our bottom 6 was good last year (January to end of year), its when this team played their best. Ekholm for the entire year should help a lot obviously.
Physiologically some focus is lost through fatigue, through overheating, and perhaps even pulse rate. Look at McDrai going to bench after shifts. They push themselves to the max regularly. I'm not convinced human physiology is at its most mentally aware state when pushing physiological max. Humans are hardwired for fight response. But that doesn't involve thinking as much as it involves preservation and just fight instincts. Its possible that humans don't navigate complex challenges as much when they are physically taxed to the max.

Then theres just exhaustion making mistakes, temporary fatigue making mistakes.

On the latter since I was a kid I was fascinated watching long overtime games. Mostly due to the drama and seeing how mistakes multiply as a game goes on and on. To the point where even the best players are making brutal errors. I mention this because its kind of an example.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
6 more pre-season games, my goodness.

Can they at least make it interesting? Maybe a point system? Pre-season point leaders get a $50 Amazon gift card for every player that played a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad