GDT: Preseason #1 • "Nothing Matters (Yet)" • Sept 24 2023 • 4:00 PM • Winnipeg @ Edmonton

How excited are you for the new season?

• Bleh. I'll watch Netflix and football instead.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm expressing my disgust with the upcoming season by voting for this option.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Interesting reply. I'm not sure if the Oilers even consider that a team they beat twice in the playoffs in consecutive years will definitely bring everything to the fight. Teams often enough get revenge at some point in playoffs. Even Calgary got it in 86. That worries me a bit.

What concerns me is how the Oilers are not able to manufacture more ill will for divisional opponents. You mention that Oilers will have more moxy against Vegas after the first playoff series. Why should it take that with divisional opponents that you see a lot of? In your opinion did the Canadian Divsion season interrupt that? The Oilers should not only be better prepared for divisional opponents and know what to expect but should have the most ill will against them.

This is the thing. The only club the Oilers hated was Calgary and they thumped them good and proper. I'm sure they dislike LA by now as well but it shouldn't take this much to develop competitive animosities. The teams that beat us in the playoffs are disliking the Oilers more than the converse.

I think part of the problem against Vegas is we waxed them in the last game we played against them in the regular season. Also lost to them in a shootout weeks before, but I believe that one had an assist to Vegas from the officials if I remember right. This is in the context of winning something like 14/15 down the stretch.

The narrative going into the playoffs was LA built themselves to beat us, they were the one to worry about, etc. I feel like when we got past LA the team might have got a bit comfortable. Even after we beat Vegas badly in Game 2, we played possibly the worst playoff game I have ever seen any Oiler team play back in Game 3. The theme with this team for years is that the second they feel a bit comfortable they ease their foot off the gas. I think (hope) that the experience last year taught them that there is no room to feel comfortable in the playoffs and win anything.

I think it was easy to dismiss the Avalanche loss as "oh well, they were better than us, nothing we could do" which doesn't fuel the same fire as "we were better than that team, but basically pissed the series away." Easier to take a lesson from the latter.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I guess an argument could be made that it was the turning point of the series.
Hopefully the team is mentally tougher because of that incident and wont wilt when they get tested this time around.

Terry Jones coined a phrase about the 80's Oilers before they went on to win...weak kneed wimps.
That team matured. They figured it out.

That phrase actually perfectly describes this team...weak kneed wimps.
That incident made them take their ball and go home. They quit.
Now they get to show they have toughened up and matured. That they have what it takes.
Here's hoping.
Wow Edmonton sports writers are major dumbasses. Just when I think they couldn't be bigger losers I find out something else about them that just takes it to another level.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Wow Edmonton sports writers are major dumbasses. Just when I think they couldn't be bigger losers I find out something else about them that just takes it to another level.
Are you aware of the context around why he made that statement?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad