Post-Game Talk: Preds @ Those Rascals who tried to steal Shea Weber

Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Really great win! Nice to see Tomasino get rewarded for all his good play recently. What a beautiful feed by Novak.

Tomasino needs to take that next step as a professional and show up at camp mentally ready. This is two seasons in a row where he needed the better part of November to get mentally checked in and stop just hanging around the perimeter offensively while doing next to nothing defensively .... then he flips the switch and starts doing the things he needs to for success ... gets to the net, finds soft spots to receive a pass and release a shot, pressures the puck in the neutral and defensive zones, and those things pay off on the score sheet.

Reactions: Southstarpreds

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Still don't really buy the Tomasino was terrible to start the year narrative. He by all accounts had a great camp/preseason. Had a few rough games to start (as did almost our entire team) and then barely played for a month. Since he regularly got back into the lineup he's been consistently good. No big deal as it all worked out but I really don't think the month of barely playing was the impetus behind him getting going.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Still don't really buy the Tomasino was terrible to start the year narrative. He by all accounts had a great camp/preseason. Had a few rough games to start (as did almost our entire team) and then barely played for a month. Since he regularly got back into the lineup he's been consistently good. No big deal as it all worked out but I really don't think the month of barely playing was the impetus behind him getting going.
I don't know if it was the month off but do think playing with Big Mac and Smith was a huge benefit to his game.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I don't know if it was the month off but do think playing with Big Mac and Smith was a huge benefit to his game.
I'd agree with that. I think he does much better in the role where he is the facilitator on the line and he seems to play more timid when playing with other skill guys. Hopefully he grows out of that but for now I think keeping him with those guys is a good plan.
Actually getting to play definitely helped him produce some offensive numbers. :naughty:
Yeah he essentially had a bad four game stretch and then was stuck with limited opportunities to prove himself while we for some reason tried to shove Foudy into the lineup.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
It has been a slow progression for Tomasino. If you go back and watch the early games his level of play is completely different. Even after he'd gotten back into the lineup regularly on the forth line it took time for him to ramp things up and start playing quality minutes. It really is a drastic difference.

He's lucky that the Master Blaster thing worked out and he found a groove with McCarron on the ice and probably some off ice work with the therapist otherwise it was going to be a long frustrating year. Good for him though, I look forward to watching him develop a consistent scoring touch now that he's getting high danger chances regularly.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005

He played his way down, then out, of the lineup to start this season after taking over three weeks to get going in the AHL last season. It isn't a narrative, it objectively happened. Of course your own post concedes "a few rough games to start" ... look back and multiple people here were calling him out for being invisible offensively and looking almost lost in the defensive end. There are no stretches where he "barely played for a month" ... in fact he's played in 25 of the team's 33 games to date ... his longest absence from the lineup is 11 days, missing three games.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
He is definitely fighting for pucks more than he was at the start of the season. Not nearly as strong on the puck as I'd like to see but some guys just aren't built for that style.

Predation

Dec 18, 2011
Tomasino needs to take that next step as a professional and show up at camp mentally ready. This is two seasons in a row where he needed the better part of November to get mentally checked in and stop just hanging around the perimeter offensively while doing next to nothing defensively .... then he flips the switch and starts doing the things he needs to for success ... gets to the net, finds soft spots to receive a pass and release a shot, pressures the puck in the neutral and defensive zones, and those things pay off on the score sheet.
Yep all of this is true. Hopefully he’s learned this lesson and he comes to camp ready next year.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
He played his way down, then out, of the lineup to start this season after taking over three weeks to get going in the AHL last season. It isn't a narrative, it objectively happened. Of course your own post concedes "a few rough games to start" ... look back and multiple people here were calling him out for being invisible offensively and looking almost lost in the defensive end. There are no stretches where he "barely played for a month" ... in fact he's played in 25 of the team's 33 games to date ... his longest absence from the lineup is 11 days, missing three games.
Eh I disagree. He played poorly for four games (as did the rest of our team) for sure. I know what the coaching staff did and what the narrative among many here was but I’ve disagreed with it throughout. I think we turned that bad weekish into a bad month plus by scratching him so much. Especially when we played Foudy over him so much when Foudy was bad too. From 10/18 to 11/17 (which is a month) he played 4 out of 11 games and got 42 minutes of ice time. I guess we can quibble over what counts as barely played but that qualifies for me.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Eh I disagree. He played poorly for four games (as did the rest of our team) for sure. I know what the coaching staff did and what the narrative among many here was but I’ve disagreed with it throughout. I think we turned that bad weekish into a bad month plus by scratching him so much. Especially when we played Foudy over him so much when Foudy was bad too. From 10/18 to 11/17 (which is a month) he played 4 out of 11 games and got 42 minutes of ice time. I guess we can quibble over what counts as barely played but that qualifies for me.

You're free to disagree with facts but the facts will always remain. What exactly are you so intent on disagreeing with ... that he played himself off of the Novak line. That he failed to get a shot on goal until the 4th game while on the Novak line and PP2. That he didn't stop hovering on the perimeter offensively until after the time in the pressbox and reintroduction to the lineup on the 4th line alongside McCarron and Smith.

His actions, or inactions, on the ice got his ice time cut and opened the door for Foudy and Fagemo to see game action.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I’d go as far as saying that what O’Reilly has done for Forsberg, McCarron has done for Tomasino. Not sure if McCarron has served as a security blanket for Tomasino but whatever that relationship is it’s worked.
It's a pairing that worked in Tomasino's rookie season as well. Smith and McCarron win board battles and can pass the puck fairly well .... as long as Tomasino is playing smart without the puck and finding the gaps in the defensive coverage then he gets his chances.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I’d go as far as saying that what O’Reilly has done for Forsberg, McCarron has done for Tomasino. Not sure if McCarron has served as a security blanket for Tomasino but whatever that relationship is it’s worked.
Security blanket is the best description I can come up with for the relationship.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
You're free to disagree with facts but the facts will always remain. What exactly are you so intent on disagreeing with ... that he played himself off of the Novak line. That he failed to get a shot on goal until the 4th game while on the Novak line and PP2. That he didn't stop hovering on the perimeter offensively until after the time in the pressbox and reintroduction to the lineup on the 4th line alongside McCarron and Smith.

His actions, or inactions, on the ice got his ice time cut and opened the door for Foudy and Fagemo to see game action.
You really need to learn the difference between a fact and opinion. What I am disagreeing with is the idea Tomasino it took Tomasino the better part of November to get going versus coaching decisions making it hard to get going. That's fine if you disagree but that doesn't make your opinion a fact. I guess you've backed off the "fact" about how frequently he was scratched too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad