Preds Orientation (for Habs fans)

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
For the first time I'll follow a NHL team in addition to Habs. Its also nice to know Preds play entertaining hockey vs the stuff Habs fans have been tortured with last 5-6 years.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I need to know!
Behold the piano keys.....

Screenshot_2016-07-02-14-30-29_1.jpg

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
That was from 2006 and the Wings were the only other good team in the Central. The rivalry has died since the Wings moved east.

BUT..... as the rules say - and that's rule number 1 - if you are not wearing gold, the Ads, or a team comprised of 10yo children doing the intermission thing, you suck; there is not exception for any one, anything, except Trotzy, Leggy (probably), the 2016 ASG MVP, and now, sadly, THE (ex)Captain.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
As the grandson of a Sherbrook boxer, bienevue.

This team is fun. They have a lot more oomph than the Barry Trotz teams. I expect Subban to be split from Josi because Ekholm and Ellis are good enough for 25 minutes a game. I'd like to see, if possible, to have the top 2 pairings to get 55 minutes. Insane? Maybe but it would be awesome.

Biggest forward complaints; Johanson is not playing enough and #2C. which is nice to complain about. People were complaining about a lack of a playmaker with Johanson but with Josi and Subban activating the offense this is moot. Moar defensive minded players to hook up with the offensive players. Hook with Johanson and Neal. A #2 center with Forsberg and Smith. I'd love to see Ribs put to RW with Wilson and Fisher. The ASS line, (Arvidson, Sissons, Salomaki) will be amazing. It's a 3rd line on the 4th line.

As for Nashville as a whole? BBQ has been replaced by hot chicken. A very spicy version of hot chicken. Howdy does not play. Nashvillians see themselves more midwest then southern. They will play the stereotype at times but they tend to more talk midwest. Fun town. I'm honestly shocked no one from the hockey media died of alcohol poisoning during the ASG. Drink? These guys can drink. I'm mostly a teetotaler. I know these guys could drink a rugby team to the ground. Tenneessee as a whole is rebelous like Quebec but politically conservative like Western Canada.

A few clarifications: Barbecue has more been joined by hot chicken as THE thing to try. Also, Nashville itself is not politically conservative, but the surrounding area and most of Tennessee is. Nashville and Memphis both skew blue.

Blues Convert ended up being wrong about one thing. Tomas Vokoun never never NEVER sucked in the line up announcement. It was kind of funny to hear...collective group mumbling as if to say, uh uh, I will not go there.

Note: I was the one swooning over bruises. Still do. (I am female, it's okay)

Last edited:

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
I was born in Nashville. I have never in my entire life thought of myself as midwestern. Think that goes for the whole state.

Pure Southerners.

Boy howdy, that's the first time I've ever heard of that y'all.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
As a big Wings fan with the Predators as my number two I'm sad to see some Wings dislike in here :(

Don't make me break out the Soul Thieves.

The hatred is not quite as strong as it once was - that hatred is now reserved for the Blackhawks - but it was once legendary.

I am firmly convinced that if and when we finally make the SC Finals, they will be there, waiting for us.

Disturbed1

Dale ****ing Weise
Dec 31, 2010
Canada
Habs fan here, won't switch teams even if I hated this trade (sorry) but will follow your team a lot more now with PK on it. You guys seem like a nice bunch and already feel welcomed here. I hate the Hawks and their bandwagon fans if that counts for anything :)

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
That was from 2006 and the Wings were the only other good team in the Central. The rivalry has died since the Wings moved east.

Would you say the Blues & Hawks are the most passionate rivalries now?

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I was born in Nashville. I have never in my entire life thought of myself as midwestern. Think that goes for the whole state.

Pure Southerners.

My family's roots in middle Tennessee goes back to before Tennessee existed and I will never consider myself Midwesten. I am a Southerner true and true.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Would you say the Blues & Hawks are the most passionate rivalries now?
Yes and no
Hawks fans didn't even exist in 2006 when they played here the game was a sellout and less than 500 fans in attendance were Hawks fans. The annoying Wings fans are now Hawks fans.
Add Minnesota ($uter, and Liepold) to the Blues. Plus which ever team Vesey signs with.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Q: Do you define "rival" according to how many opposition supporters there are in the Bridgestone Arena?

-Are Hawks the largest/noisiest rival fan presence at your Arena? Also, what teams do you sell out for?

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I stopped hating the Red Wings the night Jiri Fischer almost lost his life while we were playing them.

Fortunately, the other teams I hate have stayed pretty healthy. Rich Peverley (former Pred) gave me a scare with Dallas, but we weren't the ones playing them that night.

I would say our biggest rivals are Chicago (Let me list the reasons why...got a couple of hours?), Minnesota (explained earlier), and the Blues (they come in droves and annoy us with that stupid horn--ha!) I don't hate Vancouver, the Sharks nor Anaheim, despite playoff history. Some may.

Hmmm, who sells out? Most but not all games, so it's kind of hard to say these days. There are usually lots of opposing fans at Blues, Blackhawks, any Canadian team, Pittsburgh (even before Crosby), Detroit (but not as many, they've been assimilated), Dallas...those are the ones I can think of off hand. What Gnashville says is quite true about the Chicago fan base prior to their Cup win. When they won, their fans really let it go to their heads.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Yeah, the Hawks bandwagoners like to drive down I-65 a lot. It gets annoying. Of course, Hawks fans are annoying, period, but that's another thing.

My family first visited Nashville back in the 1860's. My great-great-grandpa was there on some official business on behalf of the state of Wisconsin at one point, but had to leave to go up to Paducah for a bit before returning home...

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Did Jones or Josi pair with Weber early in their career?

Jones played with Weber when Josi was injured during Jones' rookie season(or was it Weber who was hurt and Jones played with Josi??). Otherwise Weber and Josi have been paired since Suter left, I'm pretty sure

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Pure Southerners.

Coming from the other side of the equation, that's a new one on me too. Heck, Kentucky doesn't get included in the Midwest, let alone any part of Tennessee. There's a few common sensibilities, but that's not the same thing by any stretch.

Maybe we just look that way to a New England yankee. :D

* * *​
I stopped hating the Red Wings the night Jiri Fischer almost lost his life while we were playing them.

Fortunately, the other teams I hate have stayed pretty healthy. Rich Peverley (former Pred) gave me a scare with Dallas, but we weren't the ones playing them that night.

That was against the Jackets (it's why Nathan Horton is credited with a goal in a game he never played in), and yeah, I was watching live and that scared the hell out of me. Was such a relief to know that he was OK afterward.

* * *​
Did Jones or Josi pair with Weber early in their career?

Jones almost never. Josi and Weber, however, were practically inseparable on the ice.

* * *​
Jones played with Weber when Josi was injured during Jones' rookie season(or was it Weber who was hurt and Jones played with Josi??). Otherwise Weber and Josi have been paired since Suter left, I'm pretty sure

Josi was the one who was injured - it was during those early concussions that had us all on edge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad