Pre-Game Talk: Preds @ Jets - Fri Oct 17 - 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
October-6-2014-Coach-Maurice-300x173.jpg

Coach Maurice post-practice: On becoming a tough team to play on home ice. How different does he expect the Predators to be this season? How can he get the Jets to be a competitive team like Nashville? Extra challenges because of the home opener? Can the lower level teams be used as a measuring stick? Has he seen any sophomore jinx on Scheifele and Trouba?

To listen click here.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
That would verify this organization has some sort of curse

:laugh:

Let's just blame ASG for it. It's probably their fault anyways. Lol

It still amazes me there hasn't been a hat trick since Eric Boulton. Will never forget that game. It's actually kids bittersweet for me since it was the last Thrashers game I ever went too.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Tickets on seatgeek for under 70 bucks. Go see the opener!:yo:

Neat website but a little judgmental. FWIW methinks the era of scalpers getting $500 per seat is over until we make the playoffs.

And all my work around the house while the wife's been down with the flu is paying off! I'm making the home opener AND (most likely) the Calgary game. Swing by 205 to hoist a pint.

m.

shaunhil

Nov 9, 2011
Morden
If anybody wants to go to the home opener there is a handful of pairs on ticketmaster. I can't make it but some upper bowl pairs will be released from my cart in a few minutes.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Let's just blame ASG for it. It's probably their fault anyways. Lol

It still amazes me there hasn't been a hat trick since Eric Boulton. Will never forget that game. It's actually kids bittersweet for me since it was the last Thrashers game I ever went too.

You're the curse. Clearly you have to see a game at the MTS Center... insta hattrick ;).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It sounds like the 3rd line will be Lowry - Perreault - Thorburn again. Perreault is not going to be able to contribute to improving the Jets with those linemates. Meanwhile O'Dell has scored 2G + 2A in 3 games for the IceCaps. I'm guessing he is recovered from his injury and back in game shape. :sarcasm:
Galiardi is with Slater and Peluso. I assume Hali is in the pressbox again.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It sounds like the 3rd line will be Lowry - Perreault - Thorburn again. Perreault is not going to be able to contribute to improving the Jets with those linemates. Meanwhile O'Dell has scored 2G + 2A in 3 games for the IceCaps. I'm guessing he is recovered from his injury and back in game shape. :sarcasm:

Maurice sure does seem to be enamoured with size among the forwards.

I would much prefer to see this line-up...

Ladd-Little-Frolik
Lowry-Scheif-Wheeler
Galiardi-Perreault-Buff
Halischuk-Slater-Peluso / Thorbs

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maurice sure does seem to be enamoured with size among the forwards.

I would much prefer to see this line-up...

Ladd-Little-Frolik
Lowry-Scheif-Wheeler
Galiardi-Perreault-Buff
Halischuk-Slater-Peluso / Thorbs

That is the appearance. If it comes down to a choice between skill and size .... size wins. Petan goes down, Morrissey goes down, O'Dell goes down but Thor, Peluso, Lowry and Pardy are in the line-up

I prefer your line-up also although I wouldn't be in any hurry to promote Lowry. Buff has looked good with Scheifele and Wheeler. I'd leave Lowry where he has been and try Galiardi at 3RW. If he can't play the right side then I'd put Hali there. Whichever way works. Thor is in the pressbox or Peluso is.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That is the appearance. If it comes down to a choice between skill and size .... size wins. Petan goes down, Morrissey goes down, O'Dell goes down but Thor, Peluso, Lowry and Pardy are in the line-up

I prefer your line-up also although I wouldn't be in any hurry to promote Lowry. Buff has looked good with Scheifele and Wheeler. I'd leave Lowry where he has been and try Galiardi at 3RW. If he can't play the right side then I'd put Hali there. Whichever way works. Thor is in the pressbox or Peluso is.

I don't really want to rehash past debates but this is not really a fair comparison. Petan and Morrissey are 19 and not yet ready. Some may not agree, but those making the decisions believe it to be so as to the majority of pundits. Morrissey basically acknowledged this in subsequent interviews after being send down. O'Dell was a bubble player to begin with, and he missed the whole of camp. If a couple years from now Petan and Morrissey aren't given a chance I'll buy into your argument, but the Jets sure do seem to use up a lot of their high picks on guys with skill over size to make this type of blanket statement IMO.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
Thorburn moving up in the line up again, I just love this team. Makes you question whether they are actually trying to win because if they are holy s*** are they ever trying to make it as hard as possible.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't really want to rehash past debates but this is not really a fair comparison. Petan and Morrissey are 19 and not yet ready. Some may not agree, but those making the decisions believe it to be so as to the majority of pundits. Morrissey basically acknowledged this in subsequent interviews after being send down. O'Dell was a bubble player to begin with, and he missed the whole of camp. If a couple years from now Petan and Morrissey aren't given a chance I'll buy into your argument, but the Jets sure do seem to use up a lot of their high picks on guys with skill over size to make this type of blanket statement IMO.

Yes, Chevy has drafted quite a few smaller, high skill guys. And Maurice has elected to use big, low skill guys instead. They were judged "not yet ready" by Maurice who chose to go with 'will never be ready' big guys. You are rehashing old arguments by framing your observations in those terms. You are saying that whatever Maurice does or decides is the best thing by virtue of the fact he is the coach. We have no idea how he concluded that Petan and Morrissey were "not yet ready". We only know that he did. Morrissey apparently concluded that he had erred by playing too safe. Whether that is what he was told in his exit interview or not we don't know. If it is I have to question why, considering he was around for the last 4 exhibitions but not playing, did Maurice not take him aside and tell him that earlier? Having given him the advice (coaching) to be more assertive he could then have played him in a couple more of those exhibitions.

What we know is he decided to go with those large bodies I listed instead of those smaller ones I listed. Everything else is conjecture.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yes, Chevy has drafted quite a few smaller, high skill guys. And Maurice has elected to use big, low skill guys instead. They were judged "not yet ready" by Maurice who chose to go with 'will never be ready' big guys. You are rehashing old arguments by framing your observations in those terms. You are saying that whatever Maurice does or decides is the best thing by virtue of the fact he is the coach. We have no idea how he concluded that Petan and Morrissey were "not yet ready". We only know that he did. Morrissey apparently concluded that he had erred by playing too safe. Whether that is what he was told in his exit interview or not we don't know. If it is I have to question why, considering he was around for the last 4 exhibitions but not playing, did Maurice not take him aside and tell him that earlier? Having given him the advice (coaching) to be more assertive he could then have played him in a couple more of those exhibitions.

What we know is he decided to go with those large bodies I listed instead of those smaller ones I listed. Everything else is conjecture.

Thorburn and Peluso weren't competing with Petan for a job. Right or wrong those 2 players are on 1 way contracts and are expected to be willing to fight as necessary. You can argue that has no place in the game and I would probably agree with you. But Petan was not competing with them or going to supplant their role on the team. Petan was competing for the seemingly available winger spot in the middle 6 and was deemed not ready. You do realize how exceedingly rare it is for a 2nd round pick to make the NHL while they are still junior eligible? Last season a total of 2 players drafted in the second round played a total of 24 games as 19 yo. This season not a single 19 yo 2nd round pick has played a single shift.

These decisions are made with input from all levels of the organization. Every indication was there was a place for Morrissey on the team if he proved to be ready. And apparently he wasn't. And Lowry plain and simple earned a spot. He is 2 years older and has a more NHL ready game. One of the biggest knocks on the Jets organization when they first came to Winnipeg from Atlanta is that they needlessly rushed their prospects. I for one I'm glad we changed course and the organization is being run closer along the lines of the the more successful teams.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Maurice = Noel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad