Post-Game Talk: Preds and caps @7:00 can we win 2 in a row to calm the board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
In the end, I'm just frustrated with a strategy that downplays skill and talent, in favor of one that makes it mostly about lucky bounces.

you sound like that is trotz choice. In football when a defense puts 6 defensive backs in the game and rushes 3 guys, if you try and force a passing game, you get eaten a live.

Teams that know they cant skate with the Capitals wont try to skate with the Capitals. The Caps cant make them do that. Force the issue and give up an odd man rush the other way and a goal against and the trapping will only get worse

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
you sound like that is trotz choice. In football when a defense puts 6 defensive backs in the game and rushes 3 guys, if you try and force a passing game, you get eaten a live.

Teams that know they cant skate with the Capitals wont try to skate with the Capitals. The Caps cant make them do that. Force the issue and give up an odd man rush the other way and a goal against and the trapping will only get worse

Of course you need to take what is there (to lean on your football analogy). My complaint is more directed to the league and how they've made decisions on how they are going to ref games. Their decision accentuates the effectiveness of trapping, and reduces the value of skilled hockey players.

That seems like a stupid decision if they are trying to increase interest in the game.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Not if you have a receiver you flat out trust to win (like a Julio Jones). Who do you consistently trust to "win" 5-on-5, though? It's a different game but the principle applies...this team lacks game-breaking ability in these types of contests. That player should be Ovechkin but it isn't. He's not anywhere close to a game-breaker or money player 5-on-5. The closest thing the Caps have are Kuznetsov and Burakovsky due to their skating. The rest need playmaking, structure, focus and intensity to be successful playing a strong team game. It's just that many of the things needed to beat a passive team are things they largely skip doing because they're not often essential in the regular season. Junk shots and net drive? Eh. Deflections? Once in a while. Making better use of small area plays by not confusing high pace with effectiveness? Hardly. This team still doesn't stop/start enough or vary their speed and that in turn is partly to blame for their penalty differential.

There are tough aspects to teams that sag but patience alone isn't the answer and they're bound to see more and more of it. It's about smart, structured attacking and being better at drawing calls. A big part of the net drive type game is causing havoc to draw more calls. It's not happening on the perimeter.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not if you have a receiver you flat out trust to win (like a Julio Jones). Who do you consistently trust to "win" 5-on-5, though? It's a different game but the principle applies...this team lacks game-breaking ability in these types of contests. That player should be Ovechkin but it isn't. He's not anywhere close to a game-breaker or money player 5-on-5. The closest thing the Caps have are Kuznetsov and Burakovsky due to their skating. The rest need playmaking, structure, focus and intensity to be successful playing a strong team game. It's just that many of the things needed to beat a passive team are things they largely skip doing because they're not often essential in the regular season. Junk shots and net drive? Eh. Deflections? Once in a while. Making better use of small area plays by not confusing high pace with effectiveness? Hardly. This team still doesn't stop/start enough or vary their speed and that in turn is partly to blame for their penalty differential.

There are tough aspects to teams that sag but patience alone isn't the answer and they're bound to see more and more of it. It's about smart, structured attacking and being better at drawing calls. A big part of the net drive type game is causing havoc to draw more calls. It's not happening on the perimeter.

I don't disagree with your basic point. The Caps should have scored another goal in that first period. Kuzy had numeras chances to put the puck on the net and refuses.

My main point is that doing what the defense wants you to do isn't ideal. Just as throwing long into a cover two is what they want you to do.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I don't disagree with your basic point. The Caps should have scored another goal in that first period. Kuzy had numeras chances to put the puck on the net and refuses.

My main point is that doing what the defense wants you to do isn't ideal. Just as throwing long into a cover two is what they want you to do.

Did Pittsburgh pepper NJ with 43 shots and 6 goals by doing only what the Devils wanted them to do?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
You only "take what the opponent gives you" when it's to your advantage. Otherwise you're having the game dictated to you and you're already behind, giving them the advantage instead.

Meaning, if a team is playing X defense and your options become A, B, or C you don't just take any of those options. You take whichever one benefits you and turns the advantage back your way. One of those options could be to try and neutralize what they're doing by continuing to play your game and dictating they do something else to stop you.

Beating a trap isn't much different than beating a 3/4 press in basketball. You even have the additional option of just dumping the puck in once you get past the red line, while in basketball you're being timed on crossing half-court. The exact Xs and Os might not be the same but the concept is similar, in that once you start to consistently beat the trap/press the other team will have to stop using it on you because it ultimately leaves them in a more vulnerable position.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Let's not act like caps didn't have opportunities. Sure, Nashville played a NJ style - but Caps had chances and missed, overpassed, or didn't make an accurate shot. They had their opportunities.

Honestly, I just think the law of averages are catching up. Oshie was shooting 25%.... team overall like 13% for a 10 or 15 game stretch. That's just not going to be sustainable.

I still think Caps have two teams they don't match up great against in playoffs. Pitt and SJ. Everyone else I think Caps beat in a long series.

They just need to stay healthy.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Did Pittsburgh pepper NJ with 43 shots and 6 goals by doing only what the Devils wanted them to do?

no...they went the other route. they gave up 36 shots and 4 goals. what is the difference between a 1-0 lead after the first period and a 3-2 lead?
that was a 5-4 game with an EN at the end. My guess is that had the Caps won their game with the Devils 5-4 rather than 1-0 there would have been significant complaining about the sloppy play and the turnovers.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Let's not act like caps didn't have opportunities. Sure, Nashville played a NJ style - but Caps had chances and missed, overpassed, or didn't make an accurate shot. They had their opportunities.

Honestly, I just think the law of averages are catching up. Oshie was shooting 25%.... team overall like 13% for a 10 or 15 game stretch. That's just not going to be sustainable.
It's a fair point but then they should shoot more, no? Not pointless muffin Laich type shots from inside the blueline in transition and the like but strategically so. If that's not in their vocabulary it's troublesome. It's not like they don't have puck...
I still think Caps have two teams they don't match up great against in playoffs. Pitt and SJ. Everyone else I think Caps beat in a long series.

They just need to stay healthy.
Can, sure, but it doesn't mean much. Teams like the Rangers, Blue Jackets, a more healthy Lightning, Blackhawks and Sens/Bruins could give them tough runs for their money just the same. Their structural integrity isn't as tested against those teams generally speaking but it's the playoffs. It's still going to be about the extent to which this group can elevate their games further while playing with more routine urgency within a structured game.

Pittsburgh is without a number of defensemen still whereas the Caps tonight will be fully healthy. Big difference there when it comes to the expectation level in being able to lock down on teams. Under the circumstances for them you take the win and move on. That level of offensive production means the games aren't without merit and depending on health they may need to win games that route. They're bound to need more balance in time but, then again, so will the Caps if they can't rely on high Sh&'s. And, unlike PIT, they're about to have zero injury excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad