Post-Game Talk: Preds and caps @7:00 can we win 2 in a row to calm the board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
s3dq4i.jpg

VS

2ed4aj4.jpg

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
In a vacuum tonight's decision to keep Orpik in seems fine. I think Orpik and Schmidt are close enough in on-ice value that it's not a bad decision one way or another, even if I think Schmidt has a slight edge due to even-strength play.

The real mistake was earlier in the year keeping Chorney in the lineup after he scored a goal when he's clearly nowhere near as good as Schmidt. It's gotta suck being Nate knowing no matter what he does on the ice he isn't getting ice-time (barring injury). Getting replaced by Chorney repeatedly and not getting the same treatment when he scores a goal would **** me off a little, but I'm sure he'll remain professional about it.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Salt in the wound lol. I have long given up hoping to "win" the trade by Latta really nailing him. Sigh.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
In a vacuum tonight's decision to keep Orpik in seems fine. I think Orpik and Schmidt are close enough in on-ice value that it's not a bad decision one way or another, even if I think Schmidt has a slight edge due to even-strength play.

The real mistake was earlier in the year keeping Chorney in the lineup after he scored a goal when he's clearly nowhere near as good as Schmidt. It's gotta suck being Nate knowing no matter what he does on the ice he isn't getting ice-time (barring injury). Getting replaced by Chorney repeatedly and not getting the same treatment when he scores a goal would **** me off a little, but I'm sure he'll remain professional about it.

Schmidt will be in the top 4 next year. I think he knows that. Sucks for him for this year but I imagine (and hope) that he knows he's going to be a fixture here for a while. I would hope Trotz and Co have explained that to him as well.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Schmidt will be in the top 4 next year. I think he knows that. Sucks for him for this year but I imagine (and hope) that he knows he's going to be a fixture here for a while. I would hope Trotz and Co have explained that to him as well.

this.

also, a cup would be lovely salve for his wounded pride.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Since Nate Schmidt seems to be the topic du jour, I happened to pick up USATODAY last week and saw this article by Kevin Allen regarding his mock expansion draft and he has Nate Schmidt as the Capital that McPhee would pick, noting
"Washington Capitals: Nate Schmidt, 25: He’s turned into a dependable performer. He’s young enough to fit into the Golden Knights' long-term planning"

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ights-expansion-draft-george-mcphee/98971856/

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Its interesting. People strongly wanted to add players at the deadline that would bump current players down and out of the lineup. On defense the guy getting bumped out of the lineup was Schmidt all season long. Suddenly there are people that thing two defensemen that have not been scratched since the long ago beginning of their careers, if that, are suddenly going to start taking healthy scratches to get Schmidt in?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Mike?

It's counting chickens a wee bit early to think Schmidt will supplant one of Nisky Orlov Carlson and 1 of Orpik/Alzner. Especially when not expected to play much before then, barring injury.

Unless you count the top 4 in Vegas.

Last edited:

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Its interesting. People strongly wanted to add players at the deadline that would bump current players down and out of the lineup. On defense the guy getting bumped out of the lineup was Schmidt all season long. Suddenly there are people that thing two defensemen that have not been scratched since the long ago beginning of their careers, if that, are suddenly going to start taking healthy scratches to get Schmidt in?

Not very hard to justify, if coach is serious about his frequent past statements that the team has bigger goals this year.

Rotating days off for Orpik, Carlson, Nisky, Alzner and Orlov could easily be explained as resting the D corps which we will depend on in the playoffs, not as getting games for 88. In fact, doing it would serve both purposes. Well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not very hard to justify, if coach is serious about his frequent past statements that the team has bigger goals this year.

Rotating days off for Orpik, Carlson, Nisky, Alzner and Orlov could easily be explained as resting the D corps which we will depend on in the playoffs, not as getting games for 88. In fact, doing it would serve both purposes. Well.

as the team has struggled to find their rhythm after the bye week and are working to do that now, do you think juggling the lineup every night helps that? I sure don't.

I think having bigger goals this year means getting the team on a roll heading into the playoffs. Not trying to rest guys

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
as the team has struggled to find their rhythm after the bye week and are working to do that now, do you think juggling the lineup every night helps that? I sure don't.

I think dressing schmidt helps it.

At a certain point, you have to decide whether he is indeed one of our best-performing 6 D-men right now and can help us win. The Ovie window is closing, fast.

Is 88 alone the difference between reaching and not reaching 3rd round? Obviously not.

Can he HELP us get there, in same way young, mobile blueliners like Krug and Ghost have helped spark their own teams in past years, yes, I absolutely believe that.

88 helps our breakout and our offense, whether people want to acknowledge it or not. Wjatever test you want to pick -- PDO, plus/minus, eyeball test, points -- there is mounting evidence he is more effective right now than alzner at least, if not others too.

As for 'juggling the line-up every night,' there is literally no stretch of games in season when we have NOT been 'juggling the lineup,' whether due to injuries; tryouts for prospects like vrana, sanford, and stephenson; giving Chorney the occasional sweater; or most recently, a 2-game suspension. That is a fact of NHL life. It will be in playoffs too.

Why not be proactive and see whether 88 can help us finish the year strong or even help stake us to a 2-1 or 3-1 series lead, as opposed to the usual Trotz conservative approach of waiting till we are facing an elimination game and are having trouble scoring and are looking slow as **** on the back end, and only then plugging in Schmidt for one last futile game as the hoped-for 'spark.'

A truly aggressive, proactive coaching staff will take into account recent developments and certainly will not give two ----s about iron-men streaks or the egos of 2 or 3 vet defensemen who may get rested for a SINGLE game down the stretch.

And if 88 is strong down the stretch, then yes, you do have to consider sticking with him in the playoffs. Just a fact of pro sports. Which guy is performing RIGHT NOW.

27-74 have been underwhelming for a while now.

Use the 'resting our vets' excuse. Give 88 the reps.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Knowing Trotz and Holtby we'll be fine defensively in the playoffs. It's the offense that needs to step it up.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Knowing Trotz and Holtby we'll be fine defensively in the playoffs. It's the offense that needs to step it up.

Speed on the back end helps the offense. Especially if some of the forward corps is NOT as quick thru the NZ, to wit: Williams and Backstrom. (Even Beagle has seemed a tad slower than usual lately, for some reason.)

A good team needs a blend of know-how and speed. Nisky and Orlov are mobile. 27, 74, 44, and 22 are not.

It is worth noting that one of 22's first reactions after first game with Caps was to single out 88's skating. Presumably 22 knows something about the game and was not just trying to stroke a kid's ego

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad