Line Combos: Predict who WILL be our 3C on the opening roster

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Burmi third. Lowry fourth.

Hopefully at some point in the season Petan gets his chance at third.

Copp. AHL.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Burmi, with Petan as backup.
I'd like to see Lowry and Copp tried at wing. I'm not convinced either has the offensive skills to play 3C.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
It's a toss up! Went with MP as he is the best player on the list and I hope they go for the 3 scoring line approach (something Burmi, Lowry, Copp etc. probably can't do, Petan maybe could).

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
It should be MP but he needs to play LW otherwise we have 2 rookies & 1 2nd year at LW

It will probably be BURMISTROV but that will be tough for STAFFORD and CONNOR

So i hope the 3rd line has some skills but only PETAN has that capabilities, he is still a little bit not ready. I think it's mostly physically and confidence. The skills there.

So another stab and jumble rumble the line up again by me :)

Perrault Little Wheeler < heavy lifting LITTLE our BEST defensive center "for now" >
Laine Schiefele Ehlers < this line will eat most of the 2nd line match up in the league >
Lowry/ Connor Stafford < Hope Lowry is ready and trained hard. Stafford should it his contract year >

Then Matthias, Burmistrov, PETAN Dano, Armia, Copp, Lemiuex, Lipon, Thorburn

fighting for 3 spots PLUS the 13th forward. Which will probably be Thorburn.

Last edited:

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
Voted for Burmi. I'm not sure that he's the best option as I would prefer one of Dano or Matthias to get the extra minutes with Perrault at Centre on the third and Staff or Connor on the 2nd line. Here's how I think it will shake down. I know that many fans and I believe Laine himself prefer Laine on the left side but I think he's more than capable of playing RW and it fits better with our lineup to have Stafford on the 3rd line if we're not breaking up Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler. Playing Laine on the top line is an option and moving Ehlers to 2nd line RW. In the end though I think the Scheif and Wheels will be out there vs the other teams best and I'd rather Ehlers be out there with them than Laine playing against elite players defensively. Sending down Lowry is tough and probably hard on him but I think Copp vs Lowry was about a wash last year and Copp should improve more than Lowry going into this year.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perrault-Little-Laine
Connor-Burmi-Stafford
Matthias-Copp-Dano
Thorbs as the 13th

Trouba-Buff
Enstrom-Myers
Chiarot-Postma
Stu as the 7th

Helle
Pavelec

Really solid depth up front with lots of options for call ups in case of injuries. Solid lineup all around with the ability to roll 4 lines all game long. Dano and Matthias on a 4th line is really strong. Concerns are depth at D in case of any injuries to the top 4 and just the overall youth in the lineup. Some solid vets to anchor the guys but this is a really young team. Goaltending should be solid if Helle is in there and Hutch is always available in case of injuries or if Helle or Pav falters. In the event of injuries I see Lowry as the top callup with Petan, Lemiux, and Armia as options based on play and position needed. Morrissey and Melchiori the first call ups on D.

And for interest sake, here's how I'd see the Moose:

Lemieux-Petan-Armia
De Leo-Albert-Kosmachuk
Howden-Lowry-Lipon
Tanev-Lodge-Peluso
Olsen and De Salvo as extras

Morrissey-Melchiori
Kostalek-Kichton
Strait-Nogier
Jake Baker as the extra D

Hutch and Comrie in net

Kramer, Fronk, Blomqvist, Stoyk, and the rest of the extra d-men sent to Tulsa.

If this were the case I would see them rolling the top three lines evenly and the Lowry line playing against the others best in a shutdown role. To me, this is a lineup that can absolutely win and be a playoff team. Little weak on D with Kostalek in the top 4 but three very, very solid lines driving the play up front and top level AHL goaltending. Should be a fun year to watch the Moose. Fairly easy to move around the pieces depending on who sticks in the bigs but it's clear we'll have a ton of depth up front. Fun little exercise.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
Also, because I'm bored, here's how I'd predict the PP and PK units:

PP:
Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Laine-Buff

Perrault-Little-Connor
Trouba-Myers

PK (seperated into forwards and D-men):

Burmi-Matthias
Little-Wheeler
Scheif-Dano

Trouba-Buff
Enstrom-Myers

I think in order for us to get the most out of Trouba I'd prefer him out there on the PP2 to either Enstrom or Stafford. He deserves to be out there and his shot from the point is better than Myers, Enstrom or Staff IMO. My worst case scenario is for Stu to be on the ice in place of Chiarot and for him to get PK1 time. Yes he can block shots and he's physical in front of the net but he doesn't skate or move the puck well enough to retrieve and find a way to get the puck out. The insistence on having body bag shot blockers on NHL PK's baffles me. I really don't see shot blocking for players as a skill that differentiates quality PKers. Skating and being able to make quick decisions and move the puck is equally if not more important on the PK as it is even strength IMO.

Moose PP:
Lemieux-Petan-Armia
De Leo-Kichton

Albert-Lowry-Kosmachuk
Melchiori-Morrissey

Moose PK (seperated into forwards and D):
Lowry-Tanev
Albert-Kosmachuk
Howden-Lipon

Morrissey-Melchiori
Strait-Kichton

No Lipon on the PP was tough but I just couldn't find a spot for him. Lowry should be net-front on the PP2 and I'd prefer Melchiori's shot from the back end. Could play more of an umbrella and have Lipon or Lowry in the high slot and Morrissey alone at the point. PK should be very strong for the Moose.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Voted for Burmi. I'm not sure that he's the best option as I would prefer one of Dano or Matthias to get the extra minutes with Perrault at Centre on the third and Staff or Connor on the 2nd line. Here's how I think it will shake down. I know that many fans and I believe Laine himself prefer Laine on the left side but I think he's more than capable of playing RW and it fits better with our lineup to have Stafford on the 3rd line if we're not breaking up Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler. Playing Laine on the top line is an option and moving Ehlers to 2nd line RW. In the end though I think the Scheif and Wheels will be out there vs the other teams best and I'd rather Ehlers be out there with them than Laine playing against elite players defensively. Sending down Lowry is tough and probably hard on him but I think Copp vs Lowry was about a wash last year and Copp should improve more than Lowry going into this year.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perrault-Little-Laine
Connor-Burmi-Stafford
Matthias-Copp-Dano
Thorbs as the 13th

Trouba-Buff
Enstrom-Myers
Chiarot-Postma
Stu as the 7th

Helle
Pavelec

Really solid depth up front with lots of options for call ups in case of injuries. Solid lineup all around with the ability to roll 4 lines all game long. Dano and Matthias on a 4th line is really strong. Concerns are depth at D in case of any injuries to the top 4 and just the overall youth in the lineup. Some solid vets to anchor the guys but this is a really young team. Goaltending should be solid if Helle is in there and Hutch is always available in case of injuries or if Helle or Pav falters. In the event of injuries I see Lowry as the top callup with Petan, Lemiux, and Armia as options based on play and position needed. Morrissey and Melchiori the first call ups on D.

And for interest sake, here's how I'd see the Moose:

Lemieux-Petan-Armia
De Leo-Albert-Kosmachuk
Howden-Lowry-Lipon
Tanev-Lodge-Peluso
Olsen and De Salvo as extras

Morrissey-Melchiori
Kostalek-Kichton
Strait-Nogier
Jake Baker as the extra D

Hutch and Comrie in net

Kramer, Fronk, Blomqvist, Stoyk, and the rest of the extra d-men sent to Tulsa.

If this were the case I would see them rolling the top three lines evenly and the Lowry line playing against the others best in a shutdown role. To me, this is a lineup that can absolutely win and be a playoff team. Little weak on D with Kostalek in the top 4 but three very, very solid lines driving the play up front and top level AHL goaltending. Should be a fun year to watch the Moose. Fairly easy to move around the pieces depending on who sticks in the bigs but it's clear we'll have a ton of depth up front. Fun little exercise.

Thoughts?

Thoughts on bolded:

1) Pretty much everyone expects Laine to play LW
2) Stuart in the pressbox is a dream, one many wish for, but in all likelihood fantasy
3) De Leo played centre for the Moose all year in 2015-2016. This year will be the same
4) Would bet my life that Armia, Lowry & Hutch will never again play for the Moose. If they are not on the Jets roster, they face exposure to waivers & will end up on another team. Each would be traded before this scenario ever played out.

The fight for roster positions will be tough this year. Barring any trades of course the top 7 roster spots are:

Wheeler, Little, Scheifele, Ehlers, Perrault, Stafford, Matthias

& the next 3 being:

Lowry, Burmistrov, Armia who would have to clear waivers to play in the AHL

Pencil in Thorburn & the Jets only have 2 open roster spots left to be occupied by:

Dano, Laine, Copp, Connor, Petan, Lemieux, Lipon all of which can go up & down / from or to the Moose without fear of loss.

Should my scenario play out I think those final two roster spots are chosen based on role & ice time. I'd go:

1) Ehlers / Scheifele / Wheeler
2) Perrault / Little / Stafford
3) Dano / Burmistrov / Armia
4) Matthias / Lowry / Thorburn

Since every one of Laine, Copp, Connor, Petan, Lemieux, Lipon need to be playing regularly & not be sitting in the pressbox my first choice is obviously Laine which demotes Thorburn to the box & begets the following:

2) Laine / Little / Stafford
3) Perrault / Burmistrov / Dano
4) Matthias / Lowry / Armia

Thorburn a healthy scratch...for the first time in his career. I guess Dano could go back down to the Moose, but I am alone thinking he earned an NHL roster spot with his play last season?

Anyways, isn't it great to actually have such depth at forward!

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Thoughts on bolded:

1) Pretty much everyone expects Laine to play LW
2) Stuart in the pressbox is a dream, one many wish for, but in all likelihood fantasy
3) De Leo played centre for the Moose all year in 2015-2016. This year will be the same
4) Would bet my life that Armia, Lowry & Hutch will never again play for the Moose. If they are not on the Jets roster, they face exposure to waivers & will end up on another team. Each would be traded before this scenario ever played out.

The fight for roster positions will be tough this year. Barring any trades of course the top 7 roster spots are:

Wheeler, Little, Scheifele, Ehlers, Perrault, Stafford, Matthias

& the next 3 being:

Lowry, Burmistrov, Armia who would have to clear waivers to play in the AHL

Pencil in Thorburn & the Jets only have 2 open roster spots left to be occupied by:

Dano, Laine, Copp, Connor, Petan, Lemieux, Lipon all of which can go up & down / from or to the Moose without fear of loss.

Should my scenario play out I think those final two roster spots are chosen based on role & ice time. I'd go:

2) Perrault / Little / Stafford
3) Dano / Burmistrov / Armia
4) Matthias / Lowry / Thorburn

Since every one of Laine, Copp, Connor, Petan, Lemieux, Lipon need to be playing regularly & not be sitting in the pressbox my first choice is obviously Laine which demotes Thorburn to the box & begets the following:

2) Laine / Little / Stafford
3) Perrault / Burmistrov / Dano
4) Matthias / Lowry / Armia

Thorburn a healthy scratch...for the first time in his career. I guess Dano could go back down to the Moose, but I am alone thinking he earned an NHL roster spot with his play last season?

Anyways, isn't it great to actually have such depth at forward!

I think this is my favourite lineup as things stand right now. If Lowry can at all return to form that bottom 6 should be a nightmare for opposition.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I think it will be Lowry. Maurice will give him another chance after having an off season to work on his deficiencies from last season and get back to his rookie season performance.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I think it will be:

Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler
Laine - Little - Stafford
Connor - Burmi - Perrault
Matthias - Lowry - Armia
Thorburn

Trouba - Buff
Enstrom - Myers
Morriessey - Postma/Chiarot/Stuart
Rotating bottom pairing depending on play with 2 D in press box.

Helle
Hutch

Pavs buried in minors. Let the Helle era begin. Can't risk losing Hutch to waivers as we'd need to get another goalie to expose in the expansion draft if we lost him.

Breaking in 3 rookies, 4 if you include Helle but I think we still contend for the playoffs. We don't lose anyone to waivers which I think is important with the expansion draft after the season. Dano, Petan, Lemeiux and Copp as call ups. Strait or Melchiori would be the call ups on D.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
This is a pretty hard question to answer. I would prefer Perrault with Connor riding shot gun on the wing. What we are likely to see is Perrault on LW with Connor starting in the minors.

The Jets will put Ehlers back at RW later in the year once they deal Stafford imo.

As for my vote, Burmie to start but could be displaced by Petan sometime during the year.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Don't expect Connor to make the big team from the get go?

I feel confident in the lineup I selected, barring a trade or injury as this isn't a test of who gets injured or traded. Barring either scenario, I don't foresee Connor making the team, but only due to waiver complications.

In all likelihood there will be an injury...or even an "injury", that's allows a situation to develop where a prospect starts the season while maintaining the status quo of the roster.

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
I think it will be:

Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler
Laine - Little - Stafford
Connor - Burmi - Perrault
Matthias - Lowry - Armia
Thorburn

Trouba - Buff
Enstrom - Myers
Morriessey - Postma/Chiarot/Stuart
Rotating bottom pairing depending on play with 2 D in press box.

Helle
Hutch

Pavs buried in minors. Let the Helle era begin. Can't risk losing Hutch to waivers as we'd need to get another goalie to expose in the expansion draft if we lost him.

Breaking in 3 rookies, 4 if you include Helle but I think we still contend for the playoffs. We don't lose anyone to waivers which I think is important with the expansion draft after the season. Dano, Petan, Lemeiux and Copp as call ups. Strait or Melchiori would be the call ups on D.

+1. Same lineup I have penciled in. But mine had Pavs still up and Hutch down. Helle #1 though.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'll submit:

Perrault-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Matthias-Lowry-Laine
Armia-Copp-Stafford
Laine and Armia can be interchanged, Laine can move up into Connor's spot too, with Connor moving down, though bottom six probably drops him to the Moose. With someone else promoted.

Fowler-Buff
Enstrom-Myers
Chiarot-Postma

Helleybuck
Hutch

Stuart, Thorburn and Lipon can easily be integrated into the lineup for different looks.

Pavs to Buffalo or Isles $1.5 million retention, for a 4th Rd pick.
Burmi training camp trade

If Trouba asks for more than Wheeler I trade him for Fowler, if he takes a bridge he stays.

PP1
Buff
Perrault
Ehlers
Scheif
Wheeler

PP2
Myers/Postma
Laine/Postma
Connor
Little
Stafford

PK forwards

Matthias-Lowry
Wheeler-Little
Armia-Copp
Scheif

PK D
Fowler-Buff
Chiarot-Myers
Enstrom

Moose
DeLeo-Petan-Kosmachuk
Lemieux-Howden-Dano
Tanev-Albert-Lodge
Blomqvist-Olsen-Peluso/Kramer
Fronk

Morrissey-Kichton
Strait-Kostalek
Melchiori-Nogier
Harstad, Stojkewich

Comrie
Phillips

Lots of depth, lots of internal competition, especially with the versatility of many players.

Last edited:

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I feel confident in the lineup I selected, barring a trade or injury as this isn't a test of who gets injured or traded. Barring either scenario, I don't foresee Connor making the team, but only due to waiver complications.

In all likelihood there will be an injury...or even an "injury", that's allows a situation to develop where a prospect starts the season while maintaining the status quo of the roster.

Didn't quote your post ;)

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Funny that some people think Connor will be a second line winger. Others think he will be in the AHL.
Personally I think there is no way he quit college to go to the A.

If Copp went directly from NCAA to NHL how does Connor not?

Petan for me is the most interesting. They pushed him up prematurely last season, indicating a real interest in him. He went down and did everything he needed to do. I bet he becomes a fixture at some point in the season, if not right away.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
There's absolutely no guarantee that Connor makes the team it's really going to be a competition. I think he and Petan have to distinguish themselves. The one thing I will say is that the players Berenson is coaching are defensively prepared for the NHL. That's might be where Petan needs refinement, or maturity. We have so many versatile players, C/LWs and RWs comfortable on their off wing that the lineup is sure to be dynamic and in flux. I like that we have players like Petan, Connor, Dano or Lemieux that we can call up for injury, because players are going to be pushing harder than ever to get into the lineup and stay in the lineup.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
There's absolutely no guarantee that Connor makes the team it's really going to be a competition. I think he and Petan have to distinguish themselves. The one thing I will say is that the players Berenson is coaching are defensively prepared for the NHL. That's might be where Petan needs refinement, or maturity. We have so many versatile players, C/LWs and RWs comfortable on their off wing that the lineup is sure to be dynamic and in flux. I like that we have players like Petan, Connor, Dano or Lemieux that we can call up for injury, because players are going to be pushing harder than ever to get into the lineup and stay in the lineup.

I always thought the knock on Berenson was that he loved playing his hyper-offensive lines and didn't care so much if they let in goals as long as they scored more. Watching Wolverines games I certainly got that sentiment, and didn't look like Connor would learn anything he didn't already know (defensive game) by going back to NCAA.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Petan isn't as long a shot as many think.

Still horribly horribly underrated by the people on this board.

I agree, he showed more in the lone game he played with Schief and Wheeler than Stafford, Armia, Burmi, Dano, Lowry, Copp, Thorburn, Peluso combined all season!

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
My choice for 3C depends a lot on the wingers. If they're "rookie-ish" (say Connor and Dano), I go with Perreault. I like him as a mentor, and also his play making should work out great with them. Hmm, although that particular line would leave a hole at 2LW... Anyway the idea still stands.

Otherwise, I give Burmi the nod due to his play late last season. But he's on a short leash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad