Line Combos: Predict who WILL be our 3C on the opening roster

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Thoughts on bolded:

1) Pretty much everyone expects Laine to play LW
2) Stuart in the pressbox is a dream, one many wish for, but in all likelihood fantasy
3) De Leo played centre for the Moose all year in 2015-2016. This year will be the same
4) Would bet my life that Armia, Lowry & Hutch will never again play for the Moose. If they are not on the Jets roster, they face exposure to waivers & will end up on another team. Each would be traded before this scenario ever played out.

The fight for roster positions will be tough this year. Barring any trades of course the top 7 roster spots are:

Wheeler, Little, Scheifele, Ehlers, Perrault, Stafford, Matthias

& the next 3 being:

Lowry, Burmistrov, Armia who would have to clear waivers to play in the AHL

Pencil in Thorburn & the Jets only have 2 open roster spots left to be occupied by:

Dano, Laine, Copp, Connor, Petan, Lemieux, Lipon all of which can go up & down / from or to the Moose without fear of loss.

Should my scenario play out I think those final two roster spots are chosen based on role & ice time. I'd go:

1) Ehlers / Scheifele / Wheeler
2) Perrault / Little / Stafford
3) Dano / Burmistrov / Armia
4) Matthias / Lowry / Thorburn

Since every one of Laine, Copp, Connor, Petan, Lemieux, Lipon need to be playing regularly & not be sitting in the pressbox my first choice is obviously Laine which demotes Thorburn to the box & begets the following:

1) Ehlers / Scheifele / Wheeler
2) Laine / Little / Stafford
3) Perrault / Burmistrov / Dano
4) Matthias / Lowry / Armia

Thorburn a healthy scratch...for the first time in his career. I guess Dano could go back down to the Moose, but I am alone thinking he earned an NHL roster spot with his play last season?

Anyways, isn't it great to actually have such depth at forward!
I really don't think Dano earned anything he immediately got a shot with some quality players unlike some other guys on the team and really didn't do a whole lot in my opinion.If he does come to camp in better shape,a bit quicker and adds intensity then maybe but unless he really improves over the summer I think he starts in the A.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Don't expect Connor to make the big team from the get go?

after watching him play in the scrimmage today I'm not sure how quickly he will be able to adapt, the skill is definitely there but Maurice demands a work ethic and a strong defensive game especially for a bottom six position.Connor will get an opportunity but I think it will take him some time to adapt his game from a perimeter player who finds soft areas to score his goals.His speed is really good but I don't think it's enough to push the play like Ehlers does.He will need to gain some strength and need to become more tenacious on the puck to stick with the big club.I think he immediately could help our 2nd pp unit but I'm not sure he is ready for 5on5 NHL hockey I guess we will see soon enough.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I agree, he showed more in the lone game he played with Schief and Wheeler than Stafford, Armia, Burmi, Dano, Lowry, Copp, Thorburn, Peluso combined all season!

How many of those other guys got to play with Scheif and Wheeler both those guys make other players better.Not saying Petan isn't better but if there isn't a spot for him in the top6 not sure he is in the line up

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Everyone on here be like; "Player X didn't earn a shot."

then they pencil in Burmistrov.

If we have a young player who deserves to be waived/sentdown/let go it's him.
He's really had more than enough chances and has never really done a single damned thing.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
He's really had more than enough chances and has never really done a single damned thing.

Well, that's just the problem. I agree he had been disappointing, but then he really turned it around at the end of the season. So yeah, he has done a damned thing. A pretty impressive damned thing.

The question now is - which is the real Burmi?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
after watching him play in the scrimmage today I'm not sure how quickly he will be able to adapt, the skill is definitely there but Maurice demands a work ethic and a strong defensive game especially for a bottom six position.Connor will get an opportunity but I think it will take him some time to adapt his game from a perimeter player who finds soft areas to score his goals.His speed is really good but I don't think it's enough to push the play like Ehlers does.He will need to gain some strength and need to become more tenacious on the puck to stick with the big club.I think he immediately could help our 2nd pp unit but I'm not sure he is ready for 5on5 NHL hockey I guess we will see soon enough.

I think the Jets have Connor penciled into the line-up. I think they would like to avoid burning a year of an ELC in the AHL if they can avoid it. By signing him, they signaled that they think he's ready for the Jets, in my view.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com

If we have a young player who deserves to be waived/sentdown/let go it's him.

If you read the OP, nothing has to do with what you want, but what you think will happen.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Well, that's just the problem. I agree he had been disappointing, but then he really turned it around at the end of the season. So yeah, he has done a damned thing. A pretty impressive damned thing.

The question now is - which is the real Burmi?

I don't see any questions left. we have a bunch of answers and none are good.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
So HFBoards opinion of who deserves a shot here or other times is irrelevant.

so everyone else's opinion is valid and mine isn't?

i'm not sure what your beef is.

People are arguing that player X or Y doesn't deserve a shot...I mention that most of them automatically pencil in Burmistrov, who really doesn't deserve that slot.... what have I done wrong?

I don't think Burmi is gonna be at 3C on opening day.

Am I internetting wrong? is this not a discussion board?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
so everyone else's opinion is valid and mine isn't?

i'm not sure what your beef is.

People are arguing that player X or Y doesn't deserve a shot...I mention that most of them automatically pencil in Burmistrov, who really doesn't deserve that slot.... what have I done wrong?

I don't think Burmi is gonna be at 3C on opening day.

Am I internetting wrong? is this not a discussion board?

It's okay. You didn't get what I was saying.
I don't recall ever saying your opinion isn't valid, or having any beef, or saying you did wrong.

You were asking about why people were selecting Burmistrov:

The reasoning is simply because that's just who they think it will be, regardless of the player they think deserved or earned the shot.
You can think who it will be too, regardless of the player you think deserved or earned a spot.

If you want to know why I selected Burmistrov, it's because Maurice gave the most C mins to him than the other selections last season. I'm speculating that he will likely start similar to his opinion last year. I could be way wrong. I'm just trying to guess what Maurice will do.

35% isn't exactly everyone anyways.

It wasn't intended as condescending or whatever. Relax. :)

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
Ok.

my bad.

And I obviously bow before your knowledge

but I cant help but think that Petan is moving up

2 long looks last year , he forced his way onto the Jets last camp even though there was less room for him than there is now, then a callup for a group of games when most of his fellow moose got a single game..

i think the Jets Brass have him higher up the list than some might think.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Ok.

my bad.

And I obviously bow before your knowledge

This is just ridiculous. Relax man. I'm not acting like you or your opinions are inferior or anything. :laugh:

but I cant help but think that Petan is moving up

2 long looks last year , he forced his way onto the Jets last camp even though there was less room for him than there is now, then a callup for a group of games when most of his fellow moose got a single game..

i think the Jets Brass have him higher up the list than some might think.

It's possible.
I've been hoping that he would usurp Burmistrov, but I'm just not sure it will happen on Game 1.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The soon to be 25 year old Burmi has to show something this season or he is pretty much done as an NHL player or at least on the Jets, too much good young talent coming up for the Jets. This really is a make or break year for Burmi!

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
The soon to be 25 year old Burmi has to show something this season or he is pretty much done as an NHL player or at least on the Jets, too much good young talent coming up for the Jets. This really is a make or break year for Burmi!

If Burmi had not fled to the KHL...... He would be heading into his 7 th NHL season and would be eligible to be a UFA next season.

He is now still a RFA under Jet control after this season for 2 more years.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
If Burmi had not fled to the KHL...... He would be heading into his 7 th NHL season and would be eligible to be a UFA next season.

He is now still a RFA under Jet control after this season for 2 more years.

Who cares if he is under Jet control for two more years, if this guy doesn't show something this season he is all but gone from the Jets and probably the NHL.

Skating and fancy moves don't equal a good NHL player!

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Who cares if he is under Jet control for two more years, if this guy doesn't show something this season he is all but gone from the Jets and probably the NHL.

Skating and fancy moves don't equal a good NHL player!

I have a feeling that Burmi and or Staff may even be moved before the season starts. If Chevy loses a guy like Armia to waivers to keep these two till the end of the year I will be choked. I am a Burmi fan most of the time but it's time to move on from him and Stafford and let the young kids play and grow, give Petan a shot on third line with Connor and Armia.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I have a feeling that Burmi and or Staff may even be moved before the season starts. If Chevy loses a guy like Armia to waivers to keep these two till the end of the year I will be choked. I am a Burmi fan most of the time but it's time to move on from him and Stafford and let the young kids play and grow, give Petan a shot on third line with Connor and Armia.

I share most of the sentiments expressed here but I am persuaded that Chevy and Maurice will proceed as we fear. They have both expressed the view that prospects/rookies should be brought onto the roster slowly and learn the professional game in the AHL wherever circumstances allow. Maurice has also expressed the view that the NHL is not a player development league and has IMO for the most part has not shown the willingness to allow non-veteran players to learn by making mistakes and to grow confidence, without almost immediate default back to more established veterans.

Really hard to guess what his thinking currently is wrt team style and line makeup. My guess is that he is leaning toward the prototypical third line and fourth line, so my assumption is that Burmi will be the starting third line center.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

This I agree with. We need to see the late season Burmi. Personally I'm pretty sure we will. That wasn't an accident. He figured it out. He made the adjustment. As long as he didn't forget it over the summer he will pick up where he left off.

I think it is also make or break time for Armia. He needs to hit the ground running or he will settle in as a very good 4th liner.

For 3C this year I still think it depends on whether MP is needed as a LW. If Stafford stays on RW then Ehlers stays on LW and MP is available for 3C. He is clearly our best man for that job - by a wide margin. So if Stafford remains (and I think now that he does) then MP is 3C. None of Lowry/Burmi/Copp/Petan are near able to push him out of there.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
My thought is that Burmi will start at 3C, but if we don't see good Burmi by Dec/Jan he'll be replaced.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Today Maurice was talking about how Perreault was good at centre and enjoys centre. Maybe he'll be the 3C (with Burmi on the wing I guess).

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
With the amount of quality wingers we have I just don't see Burmistrov lasting long as a winger. We have drafted to fill his departure, and I think his return is somewhat complicating. I don't think Perrault will drop to 3C. He can play there, but he has shown pretty steady production playing on Scheifele's wing, as every good finisher needs a passer. I like the idea of splitting Scheifele and Wheeler to ensure 2 very consistent producing lines.

If Lowry-Matthias are a likely tandem I think the competition comes down to Burmi, Copp and perhaps Petan. I think if we wanted an offensively talented 3rd line, Lemieux-Burmistrov-Stafford would be intriguing. Lemieux can take draws, both he and Stafford can finish, and play a strong board game. Burmi can dish the puck, and he has good defensive instincts. I think Burmi-Lemieux could also be a good PK unit, but conversely also have the capacity to take too many penalties. I agree this is his make or break campaign with the Jets.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Ehlers - Scheifele - Wheeler
Laine - Little - Stafford
Lowry - Perreault - Dano
Armia - Matthias - Burmistrov

Just my $0.02 assuming no further moves are made. After hearing Mo speak today, and mentioning how much he liked Mathieu on the dot, plus the noted depth on wing... I do think Perreault on the dot is a thing. We also know Mo loves versatility. Also, I believe the org has a raging love for Lowry, but we flat out need more offense from a top-9 centre. However, as a top-9 defensive, board crashing winger with a lot of snarl, he's passable I suppose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad