Speculation: Predict this offseason's goalie carousel

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Avs should be heavily in the market for a 1B type of goalie that can both push Varlamov for the starters role and play the starters role outright when Varly inevitably goes down with an injury.

Unfortunately I'm not sure such a Goalie exists in the UFA market this season. Of that list Hutton and Khudobin are probably the two best chances at getting such a goalie. But I suspect we'll be active in the trade front for this need and hopefully also in the market for a couple goalies in the draft to start preparing for the future. We're gonna have a big need for a #1G pretty soon and the pipeline does not show much promise for that yet.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Highly likely Lehtonen will not be re-signed by the Stars. He won't be able to reliably backup Bishop during the latter's annual injury, so they're searching for a goalie yet again.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Lack, Hammond, Hutchinson, and Pavelec gone.

Hutchinson has a 2.08 GAA and a .935 save percentage in the AHL. He’ll definitely get an opportunity in the NHL next season.

I’d give him a shot with the Jets if we can unload Mason.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
i was hoping Price would be included in that list.....too bad our DUMB GM made him un-tradeable

logik47

Sep 14, 2014
Where do:

Lehtonen
Halak
Ward
Lack
Bernier
Johnson
Niemi
Hammond
Pavelec
Khudobin
Hutchinson
Hutton

all sign?

I've added Robin Lehner to that list.

Lehner: Dallas
Lehtonen: Buffalo
Halak: Calgary
Ward: New York Islanders
Lack: New Jersey (2 way contract)
Bernier: Edmonton
Johnson: Chicago
Niemi: Montreal
Hammond: don't know, maybe he'll re sign in Colorado
Pavelec: Europe
Khudobin: He'll re-sign in Boston
Hutchinson: St-Louis
Hutton: Carolina

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
I see the Avs attempting to trade for Varly’s eventual replacement rather than go through free agency, otherwise they re-sign Bernier and try again next year.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I could see Ward going to either Dallas or Colorado. He’s a suitable 1B.

Ward is a pretty clear pick to remain in Carolina or retire. His son receives specialized medical care there and he’s got his own winery. He’s not a guy who’s hurting for money or who would uproot his family and take his son away from his doctors.

Reactions: DaveG

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
Hutchinson has a 2.08 GAA and a .935 save percentage in the AHL. He’ll definitely get an opportunity in the NHL next season.

I’d give him a shot with the Jets if we can unload Mason.
Didn't hutch request a trade from the jets last year?

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
Hoping the Flyers will move out Neuvirth and get Hutton on a two year deal. Roll with Hutton Elliot Tandem this year then a Hart Hutton tandem next year.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Detroit needs a 1B goalie, be it through trade or signing. I can see Grubauer ending up in DET via trade or Hutton or Bernier signing as UFAs.

Hutchinson - young team looking for a fresh face, DET or CAR
Halak - Backup in STL or NYR

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Didn't hutch request a trade from the jets last year?
Yeah, and the Jets didn't oblige. They said something along the lines of "we'll try to accommodate your request."
Chevy was obviously prepared to lose him for nothing, and it turned out to be a good move. Hutch would've returned pretty much nothing and he played lights out for the Moose and when called upon won a game starting for us. In fact, he's backing Helle up in the playoffs right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad