Speculation: Predict this offseason's goalie carousel

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Curtis mcelhinney is also likely available, sporting a .935 save percentage.

Not gone because he's bad obviously, but because one of our 2 ahl guys deserve a shot. Sparks and Pickard have both been tearing it up down there.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Detroit needs a 1B goalie, be it through trade or signing. I can see Grubauer ending up in DET via trade or Hutton or Bernier signing as UFAs.

Hutchinson - young team looking for a fresh face, DET or CAR
Halak - Backup in STL or NYR
Bought the tickets, seen the movie, know how it ends. The sequel wouldn't be any better.

Then again, with Allen already a headcase, maybe the Blues could get a discount on the headshrink fees? :laugh:

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Where do:

Lehtonen
Halak
Ward
Lack
Bernier
Johnson
Niemi
Hammond
Pavelec
Khudobin
Hutchinson
Hutton

all sign?

Lehtonen: Sm-liiga
Halak: KHL
Ward: Anaheim
Lack: SHL
Bernier: Boston
Johnson: KHL
Niemi: EBEL
Hammond: AHL
Pavelec: AHL
Khudobin: AHL
Hutchinson: Carolina
Hutton: NYI

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Probably safe to add Petr Mrazek to the list as well. I doubt he gets that $4.15M qualifying offer from Philly after he finished the playoffs sitting in the press box, so he'll be a UFA as well.

Reactions: Starat327

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
You'll also probably see Montoya on the market (likely through trade) now that the Oilers have signed Koskinen.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ward is a pretty clear pick to remain in Carolina or retire. His son receives specialized medical care there and he’s got his own winery. He’s not a guy who’s hurting for money or who would uproot his family and take his son away from his doctors.

The medical care part is right and money isn't likely an issue after what the Canes have paid him over the years. I doubt the winery plays at all in this. I'm fairly certain that the winery is California based. From what I can tell, I don't think they own any vineyards, but buy grapes from other vineyards in the Napa Valley region and make a small amount of expensive wine, sold predominately online. It looks more like a hobby business than a big revenue generator.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Grubauer will probably get moved for something. We'll sign something cheap to back up Holtby or use Copley for half the season until Samsonov gets his feet under him in Hershey.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Grubauer will probably get moved for something. We'll sign something cheap to back up Holtby or use Copley for half the season until Samsonov gets his feet under him in Hershey.

Any interest in taking Neuvirth back at 50%? If so, whats the add to that to grab Grubauer?

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Avs should be heavily in the market for a 1B type of goalie that can both push Varlamov for the starters role and play the starters role outright when Varly inevitably goes down with an injury.

Unfortunately I'm not sure such a Goalie exists in the UFA market this season. Of that list Hutton and Khudobin are probably the two best chances at getting such a goalie. But I suspect we'll be active in the trade front for this need and hopefully also in the market for a couple goalies in the draft to start preparing for the future. We're gonna have a big need for a #1G pretty soon and the pipeline does not show much promise for that yet.
I think Halak would be a good fit for that role in the short term, although he probably only has a few years left in him.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
I wouldn't mind seeing
Bernier/Ward/Halak/Lehtonen in Detroit it two of those will be massively overpaid

Might want to add Mrazek to that big list too, Philly would be dumb to resign him.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Should add one of McElhinney, Sparks or Pickard to this list.

All 3 are waiver eligible next season and the latter won't pass through waivers again after the season they had. Leafs will likely deal one for a 3rd-4th round like soshnikov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->