Predict Minnesota's Next Move

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
its called trade baby trade. make room that's a gms job.
Here are the players without trade protection:

Kaprizov
Boldy
Eriksson Ek
Duhaime
Dewar
Lettieri
Middleton
Merrill
Faber
Gus

Obviously you're not moving Kaprizov, Boldy, Ek, Faber, or Gus. So we would need to move, 3 of the other 5 players to make room for the $5M Tarasenko brings. We all know BG hands out trade protection like it's nothing, but this is how bad of a situation we are in until 2025-2026, and even then since we gave raises to all of our 5th liners, we have completely handcuffed ourselves to the $10M+ in immovable players that will have the value of 3rd liners to bench players.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What annoys the hell out of me is even if we do somehow make the playoffs this year, we still have screwed ourselves for years to come by reupping Foligno, Hartman, zucc, Gaudreau, and the like.

They are taking up roster spots, and will soon be nothing more than overpaid 4th liners as they age well into their 30's. Not all of them are the same case... i'm fine with Zucc's contract.

Last edited:

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What annoys the hell out of me is even if we do somehow make the playoffs this year, we still have screwed ourselves for years to come by reupping Foligno, Hartman, zucc, Gaudreau, and the like.

They are taking up roster spots, and will soon be nothing more than overpaid 4th liners as they age well into their 30's. Not all of them are the same case... i'm fine with Zucc's contract.
I think Foligno's deal is the one that's really going to haunt us, but I guess it's TBD how big a problem it'll be. Mostly I worry that the $4m cap hit + wearing a letter makes him stick on/up in the roster more than he should.

I still don't see the need for both him and Hartman longer term, and keeping Hartman was the better move there.

Reactions: Sweetnut

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Any of the three in isolation are defensible. Even the Foligno one, he'd probably get about that as an UFA.

It's doing them all together, in the span of 24 hours, locking up 3 players with top 9 salaries, before they step foot on the ice coming off down seasons.

It's the aggregate.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Any of the three in isolation are defensible. Even the Foligno one, he'd probably get about that as an UFA.

It's doing them all together, in the span of 24 hours, locking up 3 players with top 9 salaries, before they step foot on the ice coming off down seasons.

It's the aggregate.
3 players in their 30's at that.

Reactions: TaLoN

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

It's the aggregate.
I would much rather sign guys coming off of down seasons that are explainable than good years that are unsustainable. All 3 have looked closer to their previous season forms so far, compared to their injured versions from last season (including Zucc in this since he was playing through injuries at points last season.)

The extensions all came after the players completed their training camp physicals and the team had practice and play time, so they had some information to work off of.

It’s also difficult to ask someone to be on your leadership team and build a winning culture if you won’t commit to them beyond that year, the psychological effect of contract years is a real thing and not just an influence on the ice.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Updated NHL player cards...

Zuccarello market value $7.6 million. What did he think about signing here at $4M ;)
Hartman $5.3M
Foligno $3.6M

So all those contracts actually look okay.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I would much rather sign guys coming off of down seasons that are explainable than good years that are unsustainable. All 3 have looked closer to their previous season forms so far, compared to their injured versions from last season (including Zucc in this since he was playing through injuries at points last season.)

The extensions all came after the players completed their training camp physicals and the team had practice and play time, so they had some information to work off of.

It’s also difficult to ask someone to be on your leadership team and build a winning culture if you won’t commit to them beyond that year, the psychological effect of contract years is a real thing and not just an influence on the ice.
The captain of the Tampa Bay Lightning, a much more "winning" culture than ours, is currently in a contract year.

So is last year's Conn Smythe winner.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
The captain of the Tampa Bay Lightning, a much more "winning" culture than ours, is currently in a contract year.

So is last year's Conn Smythe winner.
Yeah and I bet their GMs would have been thrilled to come to terms with them prior to the season.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Crazy that it hasn't tanked their seasons.
Why would it? Those players could be trying for max pay days, they know for a fact that their GM wants to keep them around or they will have crazy offers to go where they want, they are already used to being in the rumor spotlight.

You think Foligno, Hartman and Zucc would be having a great time dealing with fan rumors of trade right now even with their play not being a problem this season? That kind of stuff can actually break players when things go wrong as they have for the Wild so far.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Why would it? Those players could be trying for max pay days, they know for a fact that their GM wants to keep them around or they will have crazy offers to go where they want, they are already used to being in the rumor spotlight.

You think Foligno, Hartman and Zucc would be having a great time dealing with fan rumors of trade right now even with their play not being a problem this season? That kind of stuff can actually break players when things go wrong as they have for the Wild so far.
Doesn't really sound like players worth having around.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think it says something about those GM's, maybe. Their teams win Cups and they don't rush out to sign their "leadership" to bloated contracts well into their 30s before they have to, they wait and see what happens first.

Obviously can't 100% tie one into the other, but I'd be curious if there's a correlation between that type of shrewd, far-sighted behavior as a GM and the fact that they won Cups in the first place.

Reactions: TaLoN and Sweetnut

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Doesn't really sound like players worth having around.
Well, the coach, GM, and stats say they have value to the Wild. My eye test likes them on the team, seems like we just have a difference of opinion. Im not trying to convince you to like them, but there are some rational reasons that they were signed when they were.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
When a player is worth almost 8 million and offers a 50 % discount, I too would run after him asap with a contract to sign. He may have had different plans around TDL.

But as you can see, Zuccarello couldn't care less about the money, he's earned $50 million already. He just wants to settle down here with his family. You might say welcome to the country club? Well, he's still producing.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
I think it says something about those GM's, maybe. Their teams win Cups and they don't rush out to sign their "leadership" to bloated contracts well into their 30s before they have to, they wait and see what happens first.

Obviously can't 100% tie one into the other, but I'd be curious if there's a correlation between that type of shrewd, far-sighted behavior as a GM and the fact that they won Cups in the first place.
Yes, exactly. Force the players to be their very best. This way we could have saved some cash to maybe get a good FA coming in to the next season.
Or if the player perfom above expectations (not likely in these cases) he could get some more.
But we will never know.
Drives me crazy

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
When a player is worth almost 8 million and offers a 50 % discount, I too would run after him asap with a contract to sign. He may have had different plans around TDL.

But as you can see, Zuccarello couldn't care less about the money, he's earned $50 million already. He just wants to settle down here with his family. You might say welcome to the country club? Well, he's still producing.
You keep using player cards market value as gospel market value, when the creators of said player cards have said these are not real world what players would make on the open market.

Zucc did not sign for a 50% discount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad