Olympics: Predict G / S / B / 4th at the Olympics

Who Wins Gold At The Olympics

• Total voters

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There’s not a position outside of goaltending, 1RW (Kane, Kucherov), and 1LD (Hedman) that Canada doesn’t have the top player head to head. Should be a slaughter. I’d give it 70% odds for gold, 10% odds for a fluke final and a silver medal, 10% odds for a fluke semi-final and a bronze medal, and 10% odds for the team to just not come together under the expectations of gold and not medalling at all.

1RD

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
How does Fox win the Norris then? Seems like most people think he’s the best defenseman.
If Makar played the 12 or so games he missed he wins, I think we both know that; Fox (funnily enough someone who I played against often in his younger days) is a very good player but Makar is the best défenseman to enter the league since Victor Hedman, I have never seen someone walk a blueline as well as him and his gap closing ability is elite, he gives very little space in transition. I do think Fox is slightly stronger in front of his own net, in terms of boxing out, but in every other facet of the game I take Makar, who in my opinion is a generational talent in terms of défenseman

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The American's with a healthy Matthews and Eichel as a 1 2 punch down the middle are a serious threat. They lose Eichel and it certainly looks like he won't be available all of a sudden there depth down the middle looks....bad. Pretty big issue there.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The American's with a healthy Matthews and Eichel as a 1 2 punch down the middle are a serious threat. They lose Eichel and it certainly looks like he won't be available all of a sudden there depth down the middle looks....bad. Pretty big issue there.
Yup. The drop off without Eichel is shocking.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
I'm someone who thinks the U.S. will win. First, because they are a strong team. Second, because Canada is due for a loss.

If Eichel doesn't play, or plays but isn't 100%, it makes a big difference.
I mean we're 5 months away and Eichel still hasnt had surgery. Odds are getting lower and lower everyday he'll play.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

I wouldn’t call it bad without Eichel. It’s Matthews and a bunch of 1B centers. It’s not as if Larkin can’t outplay Barkov in a one-off game. It is worse, but the drop-off is the difference between a 1A center and a 1B center. This is one roster spot.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I wouldn’t call it bad without Eichel. It’s Matthews and a bunch of 1B centers. It’s not as if Larkin can’t outplay Barkov in a one-off game. It is worse, but the drop-off is the difference between a 1A center and a 1B center. This is one roster spot.
I mean yeah obviously not bad players but when we are talking about this level of hockey it is a pretty substantial drop in quality and it filters down the lineup. Now I still think USA without a healthy Eichel has a chance but things obviously get a hell of a lot harder and fall substantially more on Matthews carrying the load.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I mean yeah obviously not bad players but when we are talking about this level of hockey it is a pretty substantial drop in quality and it filters down the lineup. Now I still think USA without a healthy Eichel has a chance but things obviously get a hell of a lot harder and fall substantially more on Matthews carrying the load.

I don’t disagree that it’s worse on paper, and statistically a team has a better chance with a better roster, but I think all of us are over-discussing this. It’s a short tournament. If the Swedish PP is 50% or the Russian PK is 100%, they probably win. All of the top teams have a chance, and it’s a matter of which country comes together for two weeks and which countries don’t.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad