Who Wins Gold At The Olympics

• Total voters

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
1) Canada
2) USA
3) ROC
4) Sweden

Finland’s defence is very mediocre, however they always play well at the olympics so who knows.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This is basically a poll about where HF posters hail from. A lot of Finns it seems:)
I'm sure that plays a factor but, my guess, most people are honest about who they think will win.

I just LOVE to make polls at HF.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Believe the Eichel factor is huge here. If he’s healthy and on team USA I think they will take gold. If he’s in I predict:

1. USA
2. Canada
3. Russia
4. Finland
I feel the same way - minus your defense comment. I feel both teams are equal on the back end with Canada's D being more clutch.

Canada is due for a loss. It is inevitable that we lose a BIG game after being near perfect for 2 decades. Will it be in 2022? I hope not.

Having said that, Canada's forwards are special and, like we both said, if Eichel does not play, that leaves HUGE hole in the American middle - the dropoff is shocking.

As for Eichel's health...

The odds of him playing are iffy - depending on the day. Of course, an unhealthy / rusty Eichel may also be a liability so USA Hockey may not want to force it.

Last edited:
Reactions: TopCheese

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I feel the same way - minus your defense comment. I feel both teams are equal on the back end with Canada's D being more clutch.

Canada is due for a loss. It is inevitable that we lose a BIG game after being near perfect for 2 decades. Will it be in 2022? I hope not.

Having said that, Canada's forwards are special and, like we both said, if Eichel does not play, that leaves HUGE hole in the American middle - the dropoff is shocking.

As for Eichel's health...

The odds of him playing are between 10% and 20% - depending on the day. Of course, an unhealthy / rusty Eichel may also be a liability so USA Hockey may not want to force it.

The U.S. has the better defense and I don't find it particularly close. As for more "clutch" how are you measuring that?

Ayiluss

May 29, 2021
I think Canada's USA's defense are close, maybe Canada has slight edge.

Canada's forwards are better and I don't think it's that close.

USA obviously has better goaltending.

With this in minds I think Canada is the favorite to win the gold but it's not guaranteed and USA is definitely the biggest threat to Canada when it comes to winning gold medal.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think Canada's USA's defense are close, maybe Canada has slight edge.

Canada's forwards are better and I don't think it's that close.

USA obviously has better goaltending.

With this in minds I think Canada is the favorite to win the gold but it's not guaranteed and USA is definitely the biggest threat to Canada when it comes to winning gold medal.
Quality summary and I agree.

P.S. You are man of few "words"... er... um... "posts".

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
My heart says:

Finland
Canada
USA
Sweden

My mind:

Canada
USA
Finland
Sweden

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
There’s not a position outside of goaltending, 1RW (Kane, Kucherov), and 1LD (Hedman) that Canada doesn’t have the top player head to head. Should be a slaughter. I’d give it 70% odds for gold, 10% odds for a fluke final and a silver medal, 10% odds for a fluke semi-final and a bronze medal, and 10% odds for the team to just not come together under the expectations of gold and not medalling at all.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
There’s not a position outside of goaltending, 1RW (Kane, Kucherov), and 1LD (Hedman) that Canada doesn’t have the top player head to head. Should be a slaughter. I’d give it 70% odds for gold, 10% odds for a fluke final and a silver medal, 10% odds for a fluke semi-final and a bronze medal, and 10% odds for the team to just not come together under the expectations of gold and not medalling at all.
Hope you're right.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Hope you're right.
I agree with your general sentiment that Canada is due for a disappointing showing sooner or later. Hockey is partially a game of luck with so many variables, and it is a single-elimination tournament. But it’s just illogical looking at the makeup of the teams and not expecting Canada to beat each other team by at least two goals.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I agree with your general sentiment that Canada is due for a disappointing showing sooner or later. Hockey is partially a game of luck with so many variables, and it is a single-elimination tournament. But it’s just illogical looking at the makeup of the teams and not expecting Canada to beat each other team by at least two goals.
From your post to God's ears.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I’d say they’re the second-best team at the tournament even without Eichel (although his loss narrows things a lot), but nobody outside of RR actually sees them as measuring up to Canada.
I'm someone who thinks the U.S. will win. First, because they are a strong team. Second, because Canada is due for a loss.

If Eichel doesn't play, or plays but isn't 100%, it makes a big difference.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I'm someone who thinks the U.S. will win. First, because they are a strong team. Second, because Canada is due for a loss.

If Eichel doesn't play, or plays but isn't 100%, it makes a big difference.
Evidently, most people aren’t basing their bets on this kind of superfluous proposition. Team Canada isn’t static. Our most important players - McDavid, MacKinnon, Makar - have never competed at this level and won’t be coming in with any kind of overconfidence or disinterest. These new guys are in no way “due for a loss.”

Reactions: RED ARMY EAST

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Evidently, most people aren’t basing their bets on this kind of superfluous proposition. Team Canada isn’t static. Our most important players - McDavid, MacKinnon, Makar - have never competed at this level and won’t be coming in with any kind of overconfidence or disinterest. These new guys are in no way “due for a loss.”
Excellent! I hope/pray you are right. Nothing would make me happier than for Canada to go 6 - 0 and outscore their opponents 40-2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad