GDT: Predators@Leafs 7:30 PM SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The next game is Saturday. But Daisy's saying because there are so few back to backs remaining, we might as well throw him into a few games that are not back-to-back situations in order to rest Andersen a little more for the playoffs. And I agree. I want them to keep being competitive, but at this point the playoffs are all but a certainty. No sense burning him out on somewhat meaningless games when we can rest him and have him at full power for the playoffs.
I doubt he's tired, he should be a well conditioned athlete.
He was off how many days last weekend and played half a game on Monday.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
He's faced the most shots in the league. Rest wouldn't hurt.
Maybe I'm missing something but why are we assuming he's tired?
He's played 2 and 1/2 games since the All Star break, if he needs a rest now no chance he can play every 2nd night in the playoffs.

Reactions: ThewThew

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
What about giving Andersen the night off on Saturday, gives him a nice 4 day rest between starts against two top teams.
No, I'm going to that game and if they don't win, I will cry.

I doubt he's tired, he should be a well conditioned athlete.
He was off how many days last weekend and played half a game on Monday.

That's a fair point. I often wonder how much rest athletes really need. In the end, only Andersen really knows how much rest he needs, but I doubt he'd ever say anything.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm really looking forward to tonight. Nashville is one of the top teams in the league with excellent depth throughout.
This is a great opportunity to make a statement, considering the last top team they played (Boston) resulted in the Leafs laying a huge egg.

Yup. Babcock said he wanted the players to send Lou a message and as I said the other day, so far the message is that we're not on the same tier as Boston and we can play pond hockey with Anaheim. Not many opportunities left before the TDL to send that message so as they say, time's a tickin'.

I don't know how many times I've read here that trading JVR would send the wrong message to the team. On the other hand, if we don't pick it up tout suite then "may as well trade JVR" is the message they're sending to Lou. JMHO.

Here's hoping we look like contenders and kick their butts tonight. GLG!

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That's a fair point. I often wonder how much rest athletes really need. In the end, only Andersen really knows how much rest he needs, but I doubt he'd ever say anything.

That is indeed an interesting question. I have no idea myself but I would think if there was ever a time to err on side of giving a guy extra rest, then it's now as no matter what we do from here on in, we'll almost certainly finish 3rd so may as well rest the guy.

And I'm sure you're right about Andersen, it's a rare case when any pro athlete says he'd rather rest than play.

Reactions: Elephanto

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
No, I'm going to that game and if they don't win, I will cry.

IMO, too much rest for a goalie can be a bad thing.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The next game is Saturday. But Daisy's saying because there are so few back to backs remaining, we might as well throw him into a few games that are not back-to-back situations in order to rest Andersen a little more for the playoffs. And I agree. I want them to keep being competitive, but at this point the playoffs are all but a certainty. No sense burning him out on somewhat meaningless games when we can rest him and have him at full power for the playoffs.

:laugh: thank you.
if it were me. these would be the games that Andy should play
Bolts, Jackets, Penguins, Bruins, Lightning, Capitals (Outdoor Game), Penguins, Bolts.
(some of those are saturday night some are not)

McBackup would get the Sabres, the Sens, the Canadiens, etc. (I think the stars as well).

Reactions: Elephanto

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Yup. Babcock said he wanted the players to send Lou a message and as I said the other day, so far the message is that we're not on the same tier as Boston and we can play pond hockey with Anaheim. Not many opportunities left before the TDL to send that message so as they say, time's a tickin'.

I don't know how many times I've read here that trading JVR would send the wrong message to the team. On the other hand, if we don't pick it up tout suite then "may as well trade JVR" is the message they're sending to Lou. JMHO.

Here's hoping we look like contenders and kick their butts tonight. GLG!

It's interesting.....over the last little while Babcock has made a few comments about not being able to fit everyone in (ie Komarov Bozak JVR), putting pressure on Lou, how a team has moved on from some players.....

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
:laugh: thank you.
if it were me. these would be the games that Andy should play
Bolts, Jackets, Penguins, Bruins, Lightning, Capitals (Outdoor Game), Penguins, Bolts.
(some of those are saturday night some are not)

McBackup would get the Sabres, the Sens, the Canadiens, etc. (I think the stars as well).
Do any teams do this when they have a clear #1 goalie? (genuinely curious)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
IMO, too much rest for a goalie can be a bad thing.

Too much rest for any pro athlete can be a bad thing. Considering Andersen's workload though, I don't think that's anywhere close to being a concern. I agree it's something to keep in mind though, giving him a bit more rest before the playoffs makes sense but you don't want to overdo it either.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Doesnt Soshnikov's conditioning stint end soon? What happens then?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Doesnt Soshnikov's conditioning stint end soon? What happens then?

Either Kapanen is sent down or Leivo/Martin/Soshnikov is traded/waived.

I believe Shilton said the plan was for Sosh to play 3-4 AHL games, so we are looking at his stint ending the 10th or 11th

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
i hope Kapanen stays on the team. I think the fact that Babcock is so intent on keeping him in the lineup over Martin means we're seeing him stay. Martin/Leivo/Sosh are going to be gone I think

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
no clue. but i'm looking at this at a "17 point buffer" vs. "clear #1 goalie" debate.
fair enough...I'd be pretty surprised if he sits any games he would normally play, maybe the last week of the season but not this early.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
i hope Kapanen stays on the team. I think the fact that Babcock is so intent on keeping him in the lineup over Martin means we're seeing him stay. Martin/Leivo/Sosh are going to be gone I think

Oh, I’d say there is a 5% chance Kapanen go down, just because it’s the path of least resistance.

I’m gonna assume Soshnikov is dealt for a 3rd or 4th round pick

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Oh, I’d say there is a 5% chance Kapanen go down, just because it’s the path of least resistance.

I’m gonna assume Soshnikov is dealt for a 3rd or 4th round pick
yeah I think Sosh and Leivo are done for sure. Martin might stay due to his role on the team and his contract being tough to move

Reactions: rojac

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I wish I could see how this line-up would perform in fantasy land, but it would be a interesting look IMHO.

Hyman-Matthews-Kapanen
JVR-Nylander-Brown
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Soshnikov-Moore-Leivo
Martin

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
yeah I think Sosh and Leivo are done for sure. Martin might stay due to his role on the team and his contract being tough to move

By Babcock’s comments, I’m not sure Martin has a role on the team anymore.

I can see the Leafs dealing him with a guy like Sosh/Leivo or a unsigned prospect like Mattinen or Middleton or Greenway for a late pick.

Heck, the fact that. Chris Johnston said the Leafs are talking to other teams about him speaks volumes IMO

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
By Babcock’s comments, I’m not sure Martin has a role on the team anymore.

I can see the Leafs dealing him with a guy like Sosh/Leivo or a unsigned prospect like Mattinen or Middleton or Greenway for a late pick.

Heck, the fact that. Chris Johnston said the Leafs are talking to other teams about him speaks volumes IMO
good point. Frankly I think Clune could take on his role if necessary, but I'd love to see us build as skilled a 4th line as possible

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Too much rest for any pro athlete can be a bad thing. Considering Andersen's workload though, I don't think that's anywhere close to being a concern. I agree it's something to keep in mind though, giving him a bit more rest before the playoffs makes sense but you don't want to overdo it either.
Of course it's not. Every great goalie, professional athele like brodeur roy etc vernon belfour potvin and all played everytime they got the chance. Some play even back to backs because they are so good. Some goalies play 70 games per season and they want to, they do not get tired. They don't skate at all, only players skate. Goalies stand still and move some. They do not get tired, never. They WANT TO PLAY every night. Andersen will play like sucka till his mind is gone, just like every other good number uno goalie. I know ice hockey, having played it. Goalies do not get tired. They play all the time and stand still. Players move and skate. Only skating tires people the dirt out. Know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad