Rumor: Predators interested in Pesce

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Hes not terribly old but only 1 yesr left to UFA. Maybe if the price is right and extension is right but we do already have 4 nhl d on the right side so atleast 1 of fabbro, carrier, or barrie need to go the other way (or somewhere else)

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
He would be a good get for Nashville but I think Edm, Van, TML all have a bigger need for his skillset.

According to another thread, he would cost Nylander or Knies, so I am thinking we would pass on that.

Not sure what comparable assets would be asked for from Edm or Van. Kane, Van's 1st, etc?

He will have a nice market if he hits UFA, though.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Why wouldnt you want to extend him?
Sure, but then he's not cheap like your post said for why a lot of teams would be interested in him.

And for Nashville, I do question the fit, what is Trotz's plan. They aren't going to compete with the forwards they have, and if Pesce doesn't age well on an extension, then that's not a great future either if they have to do a bigger rebuild.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I can't see the fit for the Preds. We just signed Luke Schenn. We have Barrie, Carrier, and Fabbro too. Unless Carolina was willing to take one of them in his place. But I don't know why they would.
Maybe in a Karlsson deal to Carolina, Pesce goes to Nashville and some Nashville assets go to San Jose. And maybe someone like Barrie ends up in San Jose

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I can't see the fit for the Preds. We just signed Luke Schenn. We have Barrie, Carrier, and Fabbro too. Unless Carolina was willing to take one of them in his place. But I don't know why they would.
I can really only see two potential scenarios that make sense. Pesce is somehow part of a much larger deal to pry Forsberg out ( not happening)

Or it’s a deal for picks and prospects in anticipation of a Karlsson move.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC

I see no fit for any of those three in Carolina, BUT I could see Fabbro being of interest to San Jose.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
He's 28 on an expiring deal, with injury concerns. I think it's a great move for Carolina to move him right now.
Selling high at the right time is how future GMs will be viewed as being the top at their roles

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Pesce’s not going to pull in a Kemell.

I wonder if the Canes would be interested in L’Heureux? They already have a prospect like that in Rees though, who is likely NHL ready.

Askarov for Pesce doesn’t make sense from a NSH perspective, for me at least.

Don’t think the Canes would have any interest in roster players coming back.

NSH doesn’t seem like the best fit, but they also may not be on his No Trade list, so finalizing a trade might be easier with them vs other teams (ones north of the border) that are likely on his list and have a more pressing need for a player like Pesce.

• Haha
Reactions: Grinner

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Carolina has Morrow and the Russian kid, perfect time to move him. Guessing they get at least a 1st +. Pesce still an elite defender and probably has at least 3-4 more good years. The problem is he’s going to want a 6-7 year deal which won’t age well.

Buyer beware. If you could get him at a more reasonable price and lock him up for say 5 years then I would have interest.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I agree, but they feel to me like they are in a rebuild/retool. A pending UFA seems the opposite of what they need, even with an extension in place.
They are a team that feels like they are in decline, but that feeling may be wrong. They are definitely re tooling, but their big decline is largely explainable by Forsberg's injury. Their forward core is lacking still, but they kept Saros and still have Josi. Adding O'Reilly and Nyquist is interesting at least, and they might not be done. Pesce basically gives them an elite D core in front of an elite goalie. I think they are retooling but want to jump into the playoffs right away

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I wouldn't like this move unless the price is really good. Nothing against Pesce at all but he doesn't really fit the timeline.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe in a Karlsson deal to Carolina, Pesce goes to Nashville and some Nashville assets go to San Jose. And maybe someone like Barrie ends up in San Jose
If it was Barrie going out from Nashville in whatever scenario for Pesce coming in, I can see it, except... tbh, we kind of already need help on PP more than we do defensively in general, so even then it'd be a kind of weird "upgrade"... upgrading in overall player quality, of course, but not actually in the specific area we might have more need of?

And then I think while the Preds do have their fingers crossed a little bit on still being able to compete for a playoff spot during this re-tool, I also think there is at the same time a very limited quality of picks/prospects types of assets they'd be willing to give up for *ANY* established players. No 1sts or top prospects for sure. The team is still building for the future as the primary objective, even while not going full scorched-earth rebuild.

Mostly when I see Nashville's name come up in any rumors nowadays I just assume it is some writer somewhere scrolling down the list of teams with Cap space remaining and saying a-ha, Nashville has lots. And then making something up to suit their team's needs. :skeptic:

Reactions: Viqsi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad