Post-Game Talk: Pred

Status
Not open for further replies.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Nashville played just like we used to when everyone bitched. They had the lead , backed in, let us shoot at will and blocked everything. Only tonight it worked. If we were doing that people would be screaming.

Still making the playoffs.

So we can add “no intestinal fortitude” to Kravy’s shortcomings?

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
So much tough luck this team has this year. I really think some of the “luck” is because other teams are playing some of their best hockey against the Rangers because they know they can’t get away with anything less— but it is absurd how often this team has run into goalies playing incredible games.

When you outshoot the opponent nearly 2-1 and only give up 18 shots and somehow lose, that’s not great. Halak is useless. One of the worst signings by Drury in an offseason full of them.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
So much tough luck this team has this year. I really think some of the “luck” is because other teams are playing some of their best hockey against the Rangers because they know they can’t get away with anything less— but it is absurd how often this team has run into goalies playing incredible games.

When you outshoot the opponent nearly 2-1 and only give up 18 shots and somehow lose, that’s not great. Halak is useless. One of the worst signings by Drury in an offseason full of them.

Scoring one goal is only enough if your opponent doesn't score any. Halak isn't who you should be looking at. So many shots hammered wide leading to rush chances in the opposite end. Halak was actually pretty good last night.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Jar-0 Halak still winless.

Team puts less effort in than Jovo does on these PGT titles.

This team is an Igor or Fox LTIR away from watching the ping pong balls again.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
Jar-0 Halak still winless.

Team puts less effort in than Jovo does on these PGT titles.

This team is an Igor or Fox LTIR away from watching the ping pong balls again.
The team put in no effort comment is horseshit. The lost by a goal, but doubled them up in shots, had more hits, had better stats than the preds in every category but blocks. We lost bc they capitalized on our mistakes and saros played like last season saros. Shit happens, but it wasn’t from a lack of effort. That narrative needs to die. Same with the team quit on Turk.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
This is my one complaint with GG. When the vets aren't getting it done he refuses to shake things up significantly. I understand giving your vets more rope, but I think we're at the point when The Kid Line needs to get some PP starts. At the least it will make the team less predictable.
Kids line is out there immediately after PP (and a lot after PK) to get their minutes. I can’t even call PP2 a “unit” since it’s pretty uncohesive looking like they don’t know what to do - other than setting up Trouba for a shot through traffic. Going into this game PP1 has been white-hot so how difficult is it to figure that Gallant was counting on them to figure it out? Gotta give props to Preds D for clogging the front of the net and passing lanes shut (and obviously some bad puck luck).

This was Panarin’s worst game of the season but if it’s 1 every 16 - I will gladly take it.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC

The Predators aren't very good, they hung on. They will play that same game against the Sharks or something and lose. But we can't get out of our own way. The Blues beat the Knights in regulation, so I suppose anything can happen in this league.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I mean the ridiculous turn around from Caufield shows you everything you need to see.

It's not ridiculous. It's a coaching and management change ie a vision change that brought Montreal's kids to life.

I can dig up a quote where I said Caufield needed a better coach than the dino clowns the Habs had under Bergevin.

The Rangers are similar to the Bergevin Habs, institutionally rigid and uncreative. The Habs realized their mistake and brought in Gorton, who learnt from his mistakes as a Ranger GM. He in turn brought in St. Louis specifically to develop the kids and create an environment where they can flourish.

Last edited:

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Interesting points from Vally. We’re putting a ton of low danger chances on net and from a goalies POV those are great shots to get you in a rhythm and feeling good.

That's what I've been saying. Lots of so called so called "high danger" shots but they are not surprising or challenging their goalie. Those kinds of shots is what the entire goalie training system is about, their goalies are in position and can rely on their training. At our end the goalie has to face actual high danger shots after serious defensive breakdowns.

Reactions: Off Sides and bl02

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Kids line is out there immediately after PP (and a lot after PK) to get their minutes. I can’t even call PP2 a “unit” since it’s pretty uncohesive looking like they don’t know what to do - other than setting up Trouba for a shot through traffic. Going into this game PP1 has been white-hot so how difficult is it to figure that Gallant was counting on them to figure it out? Gotta give props to Preds D for clogging the front of the net and passing lanes shut (and obviously some bad puck luck).

This was Panarin’s worst game of the season but if it’s 1 every 16 - I will gladly take it.
I get you, but time and time again the vets have shown that they don't figure things out. They continually force things the way they how to do them. And they wait until 3 minutes to go to get desperate.

Reactions: egelband

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
Here’s the truth …

Lafrenniere is Keifer bellows

Kakko wouldn’t crack the devils top 9

Kravtsov is only in the nhl because we’re desperate. He’s getting banged around out there like a pinball .

We’re in trouble

irishlaxburger2

Jan 30, 2008
Rye, NY
I can’t believe people think putting the kids on the power play over Fox/Kreider/Mika/Bread is the answer. It defies logic.

The solution to the offense problems are the team actually needs to f***ing shoot the puck. It’s been a major problem for years. The vets, the kids, the defense. No one wants to score a goal that doesn’t look pretty. We all know it.
I’m not claiming the answer to this team winning games this season is moving Kakko and Lafreniere to the power play. I’m saying the answer to their development is. Unfortunately, those two things are at odds. It’s almost as if rebuilding and trying to win now doesn’t mix. Shocker.

The bigger point is we can’t be blaming the kids after a game in which we scored 1 goal and that goal came from their line. The blame goes to the guys you expect to carry the team. And based on their usage, the kids are not put in a position to carry this team. So either begin putting them in that position, or actually attribute blame to the more responsible parties.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

Yeah. Thats it. Bad luck. Certainly not the horrendous coaching.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I’m not claiming the answer to this team winning games this season is moving Kakko and Lafreniere to the power play. I’m saying the answer to their development is. Unfortunately, those two things are at odds. It’s almost as if rebuilding and trying to win now doesn’t mix. Shocker.

The bigger point is we can’t be blaming the kids after a game in which we scored 1 goal and that goal came from their line. The blame goes to the guys you expect to carry the team. And based on their usage, the kids are not put in a position to carry this team. So either begin putting them in that position, or actually attribute blame to the more responsible parties.

The kids had 7 shots on goal in the first two periods, none in the third due to usage. The internal contradictions of this team have to be solved in a sensible way. Cole Caufield looked ready to jump off a bridge under Dominique Ducharme and look at him (and ex-Chicago Dach) now.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Here’s the truth …

Lafrenniere is Keifer bellows

Kakko wouldn’t crack the devils top 9

Kravtsov is only in the nhl because we’re desperate. He’s getting banged around out there like a pinball .

We’re in trouble
On the flip side...

Fox is a franchise defenseman and looks to be a perennial Norris candidate.

Shesterkin is a top 10 goalie in the league.

Lindgren is a consistently great top 4 defenseman after essentially being a throw in from Boston.

Schneider is looking better game by game and will have a good career as a steady top 4 defenseman.

Chytil has arrived. 7 points in 10 games. Good for 55ish points over an 82 game season.

But to agree with your points.

I see "it" with Kakko. The production isn't there, though. It will come....eventually.

I just don't see "it" with Lafreniere. I just don't see top 10 level skill from him, never mind #1 overall. Consider me officially worried. He looks like just another guy out there. Doesn't look like a gamebreaker at all. Par for the course for this franchise. First 1st overall pick this team has had and he's a bust.

This team's window is three years long starting this year in my estimation before the balance of power shifts in the east. The Rangers need to make a decision on him this summer.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
On the flip side...

Fox is a franchise defenseman and looks to be a perennial Norris candidate.

Shesterkin is a top 10 goalie in the league.

Lindgren is a consistently great top 4 defenseman after essentially being a throw in from Boston.

Schneider is looking better game by game and will have a good career as a steady top 4 defenseman.

Chytil has arrived. 7 points in 10 games. Good for 55ish points over an 82 game season.

But to agree with your points.

I see "it" with Kakko. The production isn't there, though. It will come....eventually.

I just don't see "it" with Lafreniere. I just don't see top 10 level skill from him, never mind #1 overall. Consider me officially worried. He looks like just another guy out there. Doesn't look like a gamebreaker at all. Par for the course for this franchise. First 1st overall pick this team has had and he's a bust.

This team's window is three years long starting this year in my estimation before the balance of power shifts in the east. The Rangers need to make a decision on him this summer.
Trade Laffy for heavens sake. Trade him to the Habs already and have him bury the Rangers for a decade.

• Haha
Reactions: Rongomania

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
It's not ridiculous. It's a coaching and management change ie a vision change that brought Montreal's kids to life.

I can dig up a quote where I said Caufield needed a better coach than the dino clowns the Habs had under Bergevin.

The Rangers are similar to the Bergevin Habs, institutionally rigid and uncreative. The Habs realized their mistake and brought in Gorton, who learnt from his mistakes as a Ranger GM. He in turn brought in St. Louis specifically to develop the kids and create an environment where they can flourish.
I think you should give Dolan a call and let him in on all of your insight. Or, should I say, hindsight?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Laf just needs to mature a bit. Another year or so.

These kids will never be ppg players without power play time. So anything close to 50 pts almost exclusively at 5v5 is very good. Laf scored 20 goals last year at even strength as a 20 year old. However in 3 or 4 Kreider or Panarin or both will be gone. Things will change and these kids will be on the PP when they’re 24 25 years old. They’ll be top guys eventually. Both chytil and Kakko were looked at as busts when they were 20 21.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Trade Laffy for heavens sake. Trade him to the Habs already and have him bury the Rangers for a decade.
At least the Rangers would get something decent to good if they trade him sooner rather than later. It'd be so on brand to wait a year or two too long and get another "change of scenery" prospect for him or just let him go for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg