Post-Game Talk: Pre-season: Jets @ Wild • Sun Sep 27th, 5PM • Xcel Energy Center

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
:sarcasm:? Or for real?

Well, I just wanted to find a way to add a variation of the not so subtle shot Maurice gave Yeo.

Brilliant response by him, and that isn't sarcasm. He really knows how to handle his team, and the media.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
Well, I just wanted to find a way to add a variation of the not so subtle shot Maurice gave Yeo.

Brilliant response by him, and that isn't sarcasm. He really knows how to handle his team, and the media.

You could hear a chuckle in the background when he said it :laugh:

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
You could hear a chuckle in the background when he said it :laugh:

He just dead panned it, hilarious.

Hopefully Yeo can reflect on these good times when he is going through his annual midseason meltdown.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Claude Noël was like Rodney Dangerfield, but Paul Maurice is more like Alan Rickman.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg

I think he's a top 5 coach in the league. Was extremely fortunate for us to be able to grab him when we did. He kind of fell into our laps.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Oh, apparently the debate is over on the Wild board about whether Dumba is better than Trouba.

Weird, I didn't even know it had started until late last year.

I'm sure Trouba would feel it is an honour just to be in the same building as Dumba.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
Every year people get carried away with pre-seasons.

2011 flashback -> http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/jets-hammered-in-first-pre-season-game

Scheifele had a really good pre-season in 2011 - he had 4 goals and 4 assists in 5 pre-season games. People were ready to anoint him to our top six, but he wasn't ready for the NHL despite pre-season success and rightly went back to the Juniors.

Pre-season is useful but in the grand scheme of things means very little.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Sometimes, a setup for failure is what it takes to reveal character. I'm thinking it was a Kobayashi Maru (from Star Trek) kinda thing -- how do you respond to a no-win scenario?

First off, mad cred for the Kobayashi Maru reference. Both because it's the last thing I would have expected on a hockey forum, and because I think you're right.

I think Maurice may have slightly miscalculated, however. He sent in his team in for a bruising, and got a slaughter. Kinda sucks, but not as devastating as some folks here are claiming. Sometimes you expect a smooth ride through the neutral zone, and you run into some Wild Romulans. **** happens.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
First off, mad cred for the Kobayashi Maru reference. Both because it's the last thing I would have expected on a hockey forum, and because I think you're right.

I think Maurice may have slightly miscalculated, however. He sent in his team in for a bruising, and got a slaughter. Kinda sucks, but not as devastating as some folks here are claiming. Sometimes you expect a smooth ride through the neutral zone, and you run into some Wild Romulans. **** happens.

Posting a Kobayashi Maru reference in a hockey forum always runs the risk that people will think you're talking about a Buffalo draft pick :P

But I also think you're correct, judging by Maurice's comments. I'm sure he expected the better players to be on Minnesota and for them to win the game fairly handily, but to not go out for blood once it was clear the Jets were just trying to get some of the kids one last look.

Just more fuel for the budding rivalry :)

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny

you guys do know that Yeo put out a real PP that late only because Maurice had the goons running around late starting stuff, right? He even said as much. We had a bunch of AHL guys out on the previous PP because we didn't want to run up the score anymore, but Maurice played it stupid.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Clearly what last night was all about was making sure that Cormier, Fraser, Halischuk and Melchiori would clear waivers today. :sarcasm:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Oh, apparently the debate is over on the Wild board about whether Dumba is better than Trouba.

Weird, I didn't even know it had started until late last year.

I'm sure Trouba would feel it is an honour just to be in the same building as Dumba.

it might be an honor. I'd say most of us wanted Trouba in the draft. There was a lot of crying about it in the papers comment section, Russo's twitter, etc, and it's continued since. It's sort of a running joke now. Dumba is actually looking like an NHL player since last year so now everyone who was originally for getting him is feeling smug. I don't think he'll be a better all-around D than Trouba, but I have zero doubt he'll put up a lot more points going forward. Which is why the Wild got him instead of Trouba--we don't have a scoring threat from the D otherwise.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
you guys do know that Yeo put out a real PP that late only because Maurice had the goons running around late starting stuff, right? He even said as much. We had a bunch of AHL guys out on the previous PP because we didn't want to run up the score anymore, but Maurice played it stupid.

Ha! Sure thing.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
it might be an honor. I'd say most of us wanted Trouba in the draft. There was a lot of crying about it in the papers comment section, Russo's twitter, etc, and it's continued since. It's sort of a running joke now. Dumba is actually looking like an NHL player since last year so now everyone who was originally for getting him is feeling smug. I don't think he'll be a better all-around D than Trouba, but I have zero doubt he'll put up a lot more points going forward. Which is why the Wild got him instead of Trouba--we don't have a scoring threat from the D otherwise.

Okay we'll take Suter for Stuart!;)

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Hey, I'm as much a homer as anyone on this board. But PoMo f'd up last night and got schooled by Yeo. It's just one preseason game, but it just didn't need to happen.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
He didn't F up, he brought a pre season roster for a pre season game.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
Hey, I'm as much a homer as anyone on this board. But PoMo f'd up last night and got schooled by Yeo. It's just one preseason game, but it just didn't need to happen.
Schooled? It's a pre-season game, and not the last one. The roster of 18 included 9 players just sent down or waived. That's not an excuse, it's just how pre-season works out. Every year there are a couple lopsided games depending on how the rosters line up. Sure it sucks to lose, but in pre-season the result really doesn't matter. Maybe you can make the case if the last pre-season game ends up being a blowout that could carry forward negativity into the regular season.. but that's not the case for this one.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Or is it a response to rolling your top players in the late stages of a blow out?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad