Fastest skater so far this season? Rasmus Kupari, WPG (top speed recorded : 38,5 Km/h | 24 mp/h)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He’s fast but I wish his hands and creativity would catch up. Was hoping a change of scenery would really open his game up but he’s averaging rock bottom 4th line part timer minutes in Winnipeg - 0 goals, 1 point in 14 games at 9 minutes a game and that’s with some PK2 duties. That’s with various injuries and with the Jets keeping their better youngsters on the Moose - many of whom will probably lap Kupari once they hit the NHL.

Looks like a prototypical bottom six speedster but not sure there’s a lot more going on.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Dude has always had rocket skates and what makes it more impressive is he lost a year with a major knee injury. Glad he's all the way back from that. One of those guys who is insanely fast and actually looks it.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Dude has always had rocket skates and what makes it more impressive is he lost a year with a major knee injury. Glad he's all the way back from that. One of those guys who is insanely fast and actually looks it.
We were actually hoping that his knee injury would force him to learn the team game better, but nope, he kept on relying on his wheels.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
He’s fast but I wish his hands and creativity would catch up. Was hoping a change of scenery would really open his game up but he’s averaging rock bottom 4th line part timer minutes in Winnipeg - 0 goals, 1 point in 14 games at 9 minutes a game and that’s with some PK2 duties. That’s with various injuries and with the Jets keeping their better youngsters on the Moose - many of whom will probably lap Kupari once they hit the NHL.

Looks like a prototypical bottom six speedster but not sure there’s a lot more going on.
I was at the game that he put up a point and his one assist WAS really pretty.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Sure MCD was injured and he is not at top condition right now, but still...
pretty cool that my home town boy been the fastest so far this season :)

2nd McLeod, EDM - 23,7 MPH (38,3 KMH)
3rd Werenski, CBJ - 23,5 MPH (27,9 KMH)

useless thread? i dunno, but he is my home town boy so.. who cares if it is ;)
Kotkan poika. Just like Pukki! Tiitanit & KTP.

I always wondered what the actual hell happened to him and especially this year? Can someone tell me? With his toolbox and all...

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's not surprising, Kupari always was a fast skater.

Despite his reputation, McDavid has never been that amazing at high speed, IMO. His skating is more about his agility, and his greatest ability in skating is the amount of control he has, especially with quick turns and chances of pace. Someone like MacKinnon is much more of a pure speedster, as far as I'm concerned. No, I'm not saying that McDavid isn't fast, but his reputation has been that as the fastest skater in the league, which just has never been the case.

A bit surprising that Karlsson is still one of the fastest defensemen even at his age, and even post-tendon. Pre-tendon he of course was the best-skating defenseman by far, but he still seems to have it.

Back in the day I thought Miles Wood was the fastest skater in the league. Right now he seems to be in 98th percentile but I guess he's slowed down a bit since his younger years. Still a pretty insane skater though with 98th percentile in both bursts and max speed.

Quinton Byfield an amazing skater for his size and skill level.

According to this, Tavares is a faster skater than Marner, which is interesting.

Draisaitl is a high-end skater which is a bit surprising considering he always looks pretty clumsy, but I guess there's a reason he can keep up with McDavid.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Despite his reputation, McDavid has never been that amazing at high speed, IMO. His skating is more about his agility, and his greatest ability in skating is the amount of control he has, especially with quick turns and chances of pace. Someone like MacKinnon is much more of a pure speedster, as far as I'm concerned. No, I'm not saying that McDavid isn't fast, but his reputation has been that as the fastest skater in the league, which just has never been the case.
You serious?

He's the fastest player in NHL history.

This isn't a "reputation" thing. He's legitimately been clocked as the fastest by a lot.

MacKinnon breaks over 35km/h way more often. But top speed has always been McDavid the day he entered the league, and it's not really been close.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabrielor

bland

Jul 1, 2004
We were hoping the knee injury would be a blessing in disguise since he used his speed as a crutch in every situation.

Who knows what could have happened if the Kings could have developed him as a middle six winger instead of trying to frame him as a checking center.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
You serious?

This isn't a "reputation" thing. He's legitimately been clocked as the fastest by a lot.

MacKinnon breaks over 35km/h way more often. But top speed has always been McDavid the day he entered the league, and it's not really been close.

That McDavid goal was absolutely insane

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You serious?

The stats posted are for this year, so he never posted the fastest time in the league this year.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
You serious?

Owen Tippet had the fastest clocked speed this season. McDavid was tied for 2nd. The EDGE data is available for the past three seasons. Last season Poehling hit the top speed, McDavid was 6th. Two years ago Gurianov was top while McDavid was 4th. This isn't to take anything away from McDavid because he's consistently one of the fastest players in the game.

For 20+ bursts, McDavid did lead in 21-22 with MacKinnon 2nd, and the last two seasons it's been MacKinnon 1st with McDavid 2nd. McDavid had the record with 573 for the first two years, but MacKinnon shattered it this season with 717. Brayden Point is the only other player to go over 500 in a season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad