Post-Game Talk: Pre-season Game 7 - Jets vs Devils - 7:00 pm CT - TSN3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Yup if Little puts up another 45 point season while playing well both ways he is fair value for his deal. People need to go look at cap friendly for what C get paid. Little clocks in at around the 45th highest paid C in the league. I.e he is paid like a middle of the road second line c. Those players generally produce in the low to mid 40 point range. If Little gets back to the 55 - 60 range he is terrific value for his cap hit.

Agreed, but that "if" remains to be seen. Might happen with Wheeler.

What makes his contract possibly bad is that it's not movable in case his game starts falling apart. And another thing is he is not currently fit for being 2C for the Jets, unless Maurice does the obvious line changes.

It's different thing to be 45 point 2C in a bad team with bad wingers. It's another thing being 45 point 2C while playing with a TOP-10 and a TOP-50 wingers, IE. wingers that would be in the first line for most NHL teams.

Currently (end of 16-17, last season and pre-season) Little is just a terrific 3rd line center, but just an expensive one for that spot.

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
It’s like Morrissey has become Lidstrom and Trouba is Mark Stuart. :help: The psychology behind the way people think about certain players is both fascinating and concerning.

Trouba is the new old Bogosian. ;)

BTW (this falls at random) I disagree that none of our vets played well. 55, 85, 33, 44, 27 were solid without undue risk or exertion and the whole CLT line were great. Wheels owes the pre-season nothing and Laine got stronger with each game (and he's still a kid). Helle is insanely competitive, even in a practice, and will not dog it for the rest of his new contract. KC was outstanding and Roslo's getting there. If the Jets somehow pooch the season it won't be because of lazy, unprepared vets or mistake-ridden rookies, IMO.

Last edited:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Why? Are we in a court of law?
But if you are interested in more information, feel free to do a google search. Try starting with Mark Scheifele-fitness-nutrition-training-Gary Roberts.
Then use the same words, but replace Scheifele with Trouba.
Scheifele has elevated himself to top-10 in his position by dint of hard work and dedication to excellence. Trouba probably has as much or more natural talent than Scheifele, but guess who is more likely to achieve hall of fame status?

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Scheifele will be a hall of famer because he believes in magic.
No....he IS the magic.

upload_2018-9-29_9-51-28.png

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Ooooooo...Gary Roberts.

What a stupid statement.

Tell me how many Jets train with Gary Roberts.

Regardless of what you think of Gary Roberts, Trouba signed up for a training program and quit on it. That says a lot to me about his level of commitment. You start something, you should see it through.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Agreed, but that "if" remains to be seen. Might happen with Wheeler.

What makes his contract possibly bad is that it's not movable in case his game starts falling apart. And another thing is he is not currently fit for being 2C for the Jets, unless Maurice does the obvious line changes.

It's different thing to be 45 point 2C in a bad team with bad wingers. It's another thing being 45 point 2C while playing with a TOP-10 and a TOP-50 wingers, IE. wingers that would be in the first line for most NHL teams.

Currently (end of 16-17, last season and pre-season) Little is just a terrific 3rd line center, but just an expensive one for that spot.

The problem with the line is not the center - which is likely why they are currently shuffling wingers and not the center.

They'll work it out - I'm behind the initiate especially considering this is likely the way it's going to be. Little's a decent 2c - no reason why top 10/50 wingers can's make it go with him down the middle. Maybe they need to make some changes . . .

The options have been beaten to death by the arm chair critics - I agree that it all remains to be seen - meanwhile, time to move on.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Regardless of what you think of Gary Roberts, Trouba signed up for a training program and quit on it. That says a lot to me about his level of commitment. You start something, you should see it through.

Scheif is pretty open minded to literally anything. Just because you don’t buy into everything Roberts is selling doesn’t mean you aren’t committed. Roberts isn’t the be all end all when it comes to training and Schief is an exception when it comes to dedication, not the rule.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ooooooo...Gary Roberts.

What a stupid statement.

He gave you several other things to search. Fill in whatever off-season trainer you like.

Gary Roberts may not be the 'be all and end all' of trainers but he is highly respected and highly successful. Who does Trouba train with?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Scheif is pretty open minded to literally anything. Just because you don’t buy into everything Roberts is selling doesn’t mean you aren’t committed. Roberts isn’t the be all end all when it comes to training and Schief is an exception when it comes to dedication, not the rule.

That makes Scheifele a pretty good example to emulate though. His commitment is plain to see. What do we see of commitment from Trouba? Just askin'

Reactions: scelaton

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
The problem with the line is not the center - which is likely why they are currently shuffling wingers and not the center.

They'll work it out - I'm behind the initiate especially considering this is likely the way it's going to be. Little's a decent 2c - no reason why top 10/50 wingers can's make it go with him down the middle. Maybe they need to make some changes . . .

The options have been beaten to death by the arm chair critics - I agree that it all remains to be seen - meanwhile, time to move on.

Which is why last season they went and got a center, used him on the 2nd line and did great while Little was bumped to 3rd line winger?

Also as for the second bolded part, it doesn't sound like you have that much faith in him either. Jets are a contending team, "decent" 2C is suspect in a league that has elite 1-2 punches down the middle. I agree though, Laine and Ehlers need to figure something out and be more consistant because the situation is not gonna change anytime soon.

Reactions: Halberdier

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
But if you are interested in more information, feel free to do a google search. Try starting with Mark Scheifele-fitness-nutrition-training-Gary Roberts.
Then use the same words, but replace Scheifele with Trouba.
Scheifele has elevated himself to top-10 in his position by dint of hard work and dedication to excellence. Trouba probably has as much or more natural talent than Scheifele, but guess who is more likely to achieve hall of fame status?

Ooooooo...Gary Roberts.

What a stupid statement.

I take it you didn't bother to do a search then --much better to call the opinion stupid ;)

Look, NHL players all have different levels of commitment and professionalism. None of them is a slug, but the most gifted can choose to hide just a little bit more behind their talent. That delta can mean the difference between very good and great--it doesn't mean they are bad people, and I have never, ever suggested that in all my postings on Trouba.
But if there is an NHL player bell curve of hard work, dedication to the game and commitment to excellence, the available information suggests that Trouba is on the other side from Scheifele.

I'm done with this now, because "prove it" and "stupid statement" don't make for a constructive dialogue.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
@scelaton is right. A better example is Dano. Look how much better he is this season than previously. IF he had shown this level of commitment or dedication before he would already be a regular member of the Jets instead of a bubble player. It's not like laine where it is all part of a training plan where Dano is at a certain point. It's more like oh if I want to be a regular I need to put in the effort.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Which is why last season they went and got a center, used him on the 2nd line and did great while Little was bumped to 3rd line winger?

Also as for the second bolded part, it doesn't sound like you have that much faith in him either. Jets are a contending team, "decent" 2C is suspect in a league that has elite 1-2 punches down the middle. I agree though, Laine and Ehlers need to figure something out and be more consistant because the situation is not gonna change anytime soon.

I have plenty of faith in Little and I also realize that we are not going to be elite in all positions. Our money appears to be tied up in wingers right now and even more so going forward. Maybe we can ask these elite wingers for a little help (pardon the pun) driving this line.

And yes, they took advantage of a Center coming available as they were closing in on the playoffs - that doesn't point to Little and his playing wing had nothing to do with the rental and you must know that.
Picking up a good center made perfect sense since there appeared to be a number of injury issues down the middle including Little's (part of why he wasn't taking face off's), Lowry who was in and out all season and Scheif coming off a longer term injury. Even glue was in and out at that point. Of course they're going to jump all over Stastny.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I have plenty of faith in Little and I also realize that we are not going to be elite in all positions. Our money appears to be tied up in wingers right now and even more so going forward. Maybe we can ask these elite wingers for a little help (pardon the pun) driving this line.

And yes, they took advantage of a Center coming available as they were closing in on the playoffs - that doesn't point to Little and his playing wing had nothing to do with the rental and you must know that.
Picking up a good center made perfect sense since there appeared to be a number of injury issues down the middle including Little's (part of why he wasn't taking face off's), Lowry who was in and out all season and Scheif coming off a longer term injury. Even glue was in and out at that point. Of course they're going to jump all over Stastny.

Little said himself on a couple of occasions later in the season that he was totally healthy. I don't believe injury had anything to do with his issues last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad