Post-Game Talk: Pre-season Game 7 - Jets vs Devils - 7:00 pm CT - TSN3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
What on earth has happened to Bryan Little?

I'm trying hard to stick with the "it's only pre-season" mantra, Little being a veteran and all and is just "shaking off some rust" and "playing not to get hurt". ;) Still, after a sub-par season (for him) and getting "Stastnied" (my term for getting bumped down in the lineup by a rental that cripples the team's future to acquire) late in the year, you would think maybe he wanted to prove something? Perhaps he's seen that Roslovic is not yet a real threat to be the 2C on this team. I've been pretty underwhelmed by his contributions so far, too. And before anyone thinks I'm playing favorites, I think Laine has flat out sucked as well and maybe that's contributing to Little's problems.

Right now, I would say CLT might be our best overall line, certainly no worse than second, and that is scary if that continues.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
This was Vesalainen's best game of the pre-season, hands down. His defensive awareness is damn impressive for a 19 yr old.

Reactions: JetsUK

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I think it is very possible they do something with Petan, but at this point IMO it is unlikely they hold open a roster spot for a player who has never established himself as a regular and has missed most of camp. Pretty good chance he slips through with so much uncertainty surrounding his situation as all teams are trimming rosters.

Gotta wonder if they attempt to trade him to Vancouver...

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
What on earth has happened to Bryan Little?

1) slow decline
2) playing with a winger he doesn't mesh well with
3) pre-season

1+2+3=6.

Let's wait that the real season starts and Maurice stops his almost neverending madness with L&L duo.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I'm trying hard to stick with the "it's only pre-season" mantra, Little being a veteran and all and is just "shaking off some rust" and "playing not to get hurt". ;) Still, after a sub-par season (for him) and getting "Stastnied" (my term for getting bumped down in the lineup by a rental that cripples the team's future to acquire) late in the year, you would think maybe he wanted to prove something? Perhaps he's seen that Roslovic is not yet a real threat to be the 2C on this team. I've been pretty underwhelmed by his contributions so far, too. And before anyone thinks I'm playing favorites, I think Laine has flat out sucked as well and maybe that's contributing to Little's problems.

Right now, I would say CLT might be our best overall line, certainly no worse than second, and that is scary if that continues.

Little aside, you honest to god think the Stastny deal crippled our future?

Also, why are you taking pre season so seriously? This literally happens every year in every major pro league in America/Canada. Preseason means nothing yet every year we see people overreact like clock work.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

Also, why are you taking pre season so seriously? This literally happens every year in every major pro league in America/Canada. Preseason means nothing yet every year we see people overreact like clock work.

to add to this.....

Minnesota Edmonton Toronto and NY Islanders all won their divisions in preseason last year......

so what is the prreseason record worth?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You have a very bad understanding of the bad contracts around the league then.

Yup if Little puts up another 45 point season while playing well both ways he is fair value for his deal. People need to go look at cap friendly for what C get paid. Little clocks in at around the 45th highest paid C in the league. I.e he is paid like a middle of the road second line c. Those players generally produce in the low to mid 40 point range. If Little gets back to the 55 - 60 range he is terrific value for his cap hit.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Yup if Little puts up another 45 point season while playing well both ways he is fair value for his deal. People need to go look at cap friendly for what C get paid. Little clocks in at around the 45th highest paid C in the league. I.e he is paid like a middle of the road second line c. Those players generally produce in the low to mid 40 point range. If Little gets back to the 55 - 60 range he is terrific value for his cap hit.

At this point it’s just trolling saying he’s one of the worst. That or some don’t understand the game of hockey at all.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
While Roslovic faded a bit as the game went on, I’ll say it here and now.. Jack Roslovic is going to be a star in this league. Staring this year.
If given a shot, he will outscore Bryan Little this year. By next year, it won’t even be close.

I have to agree big time with the Turtle on Roslovic. I think he'll get at least 50 -54 points this year, and over 60 the next year. He's got the whole game. I'm quite sure he'll surpass Little later this year, and leave him far behind next year. He's going to be "great"

I think it is just a little premature. Rosie has looked all of that - in pre-season. Little has not stood out in a good way, or at all - again, pre-season.

If they start off the regular season the same way, then yes, Rosie will surpass Little at some point this season. Little at 3C is not a bad thing as long as someone has legitimately passed him, as opposed to him simply dropping that far. :thumbu:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trouba has looked checked out the entire preseason and today was no different. The time to move him out is sooner rather than later.

I tend to agree - but we need to remember it was pre-season and I don't think any of our vets looked good.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the chances are good that Little underperforms relative to his deal - and that there are (already have been, really) opportunity costs.

Reactions: Board Bard

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I will be quite shocked if Maurice runs a Ehlers-Roslovic-Vesalainen line. It is like the plague to NHL coaches to have 3 late teens/early 20s kids on one line

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I acknowledge that it is premature to make judgments about veteran performance because it`s only pre-season- they1re shaking off rust, and avoiding situations where they might get hurt. BUT, having said that, I`m just dismayed at the performance of Trouba. His stats are poor but the eye test is even more concerning. Not executing because of physical gaffs and showing poor timing are perhaps understandable at this time of year, but he is making very poor choices both without and with the puck, and this all at less than full tempo and speed.. Methinks that Trouba depends far more on Morrissey than many realize or are willing to admit.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I would like Maurice to move Buff up with Morrissey as our #1 pairing and see how good they could be . I obviously have a little hate on for Trouba right now but i just don't see the point of keeping a guy when he wants out . Plus even if Trouba wanted to stay here , he is not worth 7 plus million a season .

Reactions: GNP

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I would like Maurice to move Buff up with Morrissey as our #1 pairing and see how good they could be . I obviously have a little hate on for Trouba right now but i just don't see the point of keeping a guy when he wants out . Plus even if Trouba wanted to stay here , he is not worth 7 plus million a season .

So you’re gonna let one player dictate whether or not you’re gonna ice the best possible lineup?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

No, I don't "honest to god think the Stastny deal crippled our future". It was a light-hearted exaggeration based on my previously stated dislike for rentals. Sometimes, I just can't be bothered plunking in a stupid emoji to help the reader interpret my intent.

Now, I don't worry too much about the team's record in pre-season. I do have a problem with players taking a "who the f*** cares" attitude to their play. That's a disservice to fans paying a lot of money to watch. I do have concerns when players (such as Little) who fell short of expectations during the previous regular and post-season continue their mediocre play in pre-season. We just don't know what they're going to do once the games count. If you want to be optimistic that their play will improve, more power to ya. I prefer to fume and fret until they prove to me my fears were groundless. And now... an emoji. :)

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I acknowledge that it is premature to make judgments about veteran performance because it`s only pre-season- they1re shaking off rust, and avoiding situations where they might get hurt. BUT, having said that, I`m just dismayed at the performance of Trouba. His stats are poor but the eye test is even more concerning. Not executing because of physical gaffs and showing poor timing are perhaps understandable at this time of year, but he is making very poor choices both without and with the puck, and this all at less than full tempo and speed.. Methinks that Trouba depends far more on Morrissey than many realize or are willing to admit.
Trouba doesn't study the game or train like Scheifele and Morrissey in the off-season, and it shows. He'll never perform to his potential unless he does-- this is is a league where the difference between 'very good' and Norris quality is attention to detail and hard work in the off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad