Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season Game #2: Edmonton Oilers @ Vancouver Canucks || Sept 18/13 @ 7PM Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
if we had a PP QB on the point it could be top 1.

Edler is terrible on the point

Edler is probably the Canucks' most skilled defenseman, which is why he's the #1 PP quarterback, but yeah, he's not a natural quarterback on the point.

This is why I hope someone like Tommernes comes out of nowhere and becomes our Tobias Enstrom. The Canucks have a solid defense core from 1 to 6 so it's not like they need this all around stud like Weber who is a beast defensively and offensively. They need a Kaberle or a Markov or, like I said, an Enstrom; someone who excels offensively and can be a catalyst for the offense and is good enough in his own end so he's not a liability.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He's obviously not going to the minors, but there have been a lot of 'Corrado will make Tanev expendable' comments on here lately. And I don't really get it.

That makes no sense. Tanev has little to no trade value to begin with - he's more valuable to us than in trade. Plus that would mean we'd have Alberts/Weber on the third pairing every game. :help: Do people not think these things through? :laugh:

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
They should have trade Edler when they had the chance for a sniper. The team has a couple of very ready or near ready defence man; not one of the forwards is ready to contribute this year, without compromising their development/the team's playoff hopes.

ferroid

Mar 22, 2010
Edler is probably the Canucks' most skilled defenseman, which is why he's the #1 PP quarterback, but yeah, he's not a natural quarterback on the point.

This is why I hope someone like Tommernes comes out of nowhere and becomes our Tobias Enstrom. The Canucks have a solid defense core from 1 to 6 so it's not like they need this all around stud like Weber who is a beast defensively and offensively. They need a Kaberle or a Markov or, like I said, an Enstrom; someone who excels offensively and can be a catalyst for the offense and is good enough in his own end so he's not a liability.

A certain German comes to mind...

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Alex Sulzer? :sarcasm:

He is obviously referring to the legendary Sven Butenschoen

57240236-sven-butenschon-of-the-vancouver-canucks-gettyimages.jpg

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
edler has a heavy shot but isn't that accurate... he misses MAjority of the time or shoots into the defender's shinpads. garrison's shot is harder

net presence should be kassian, half wall-hank. kesler on the left side boards to rip his one timer. edler/garry=pointmen.

LolClarkson*

Agreed.

I don't know why the team (and many others) are so hellbent on splitting up the Twins and Burrows. Burrows is basically a perfect complement for them. He doesn't need the puck on his stick to be effective, he finds open ice, he's good at quickly one-timing those quick Sedin passes, helps with the dirty work, and most importantly he's more of a natural finisher. They've been so ridiculously good as a line since they got put together in the 2nd half of 08-09....they've probably been the best line in the NHL over that time. If you look at the other players who have been good linemates for them (Anson Carter, Samuelsson) they're guys who find open ice and look to get quick shots off. Kassian doesn't really have that quick release or natural goalscoring ability, and is more of a player that needs the puck on his stick to be effective as he is good at creating chances on his own with his stickhandling and size driving to the net. There's this perception that the Sedins need this big burly protector on their line, and I hope this is put to rest fast as Tortorella gets more familiar with the team. They don't need that on their line, they need the whole mentality of the team to be one that sticks up for their star players. Sestito can go elbow Duncan Keith in the face its not the job of your top liners to do that.

Kassian and Booth looked great together last season in their limited time. I think that's the winger pairing we should be looking at with any variety of centers.
From what I read of Jensen, that is what he is. A Jeff Carter type of finisher. Put jensen with the Sedins

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
edler has a heavy shot but isn't that accurate... he misses MAjority of the time or shoots into the defender's shinpads. garrison's shot is harder

net presence should be kassian, half wall-hank. kesler on the left side boards to rip his one timer. edler/garry=pointmen.

Edler does miss the net a lot, but so does Garrison. Both guys have wildly inconsistent aim. I don't find Edler blasts pucks into shinpads nearly as often as Garrison though...Garrybombs seem pretty indiscriminate as to whether or not a shooting lane is open. Edler, if anything, double clutches too often when he's not sure a lane is open.

And then there's Hamhuis, who, correct me if i'm wrong...but he hasn't missed a shinpad yet? :laugh:

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Edler does miss the net a lot, but so does Garrison. Both guys have wildly inconsistent aim. I don't find Edler blasts pucks into shinpads nearly as often as Garrison though...Garrybombs seem pretty indiscriminate as to whether or not a shooting lane is open. Edler, if anything, double clutches too often when he's not sure a lane is open.

And then there's Hamhuis, who, correct me if i'm wrong...but he hasn't missed a shinpad yet? :laugh:

The way he sees it, the players know when he's on the ice. If they're going to block his shots, they know what's coming to them.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
hamhuis might as well throw a floater-like wrister on net and the guys in front should bang in rebounds. NOT a pp guy. i've always wondered why a.v put him in that situation last year...

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

Neither really misses the net more on average than most D. Both are also up there league-wide in total shots on net. Hamhuis is the worst on our team and below average league-wide.

I think it just seems like they miss a lot because they simply take a ton of shots.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Neither really misses the net more on average than most D. Both are also up there league-wide in total shots on net. Hamhuis is the worst on our team and below average league-wide.

I think it just seems like they miss a lot because they simply take a ton of shots.

I would tend to agree with that.

But in taking a lot of shots and missing at a pretty average rate...both guys do still miss the net a lot. :laugh:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Edler has an outstanding shot. That alone makes him a good PP defenseman. Same goes for Garrison - he too doesn't move the puck that well or quickly but the shot makes him dangerous.

You need a few different shooting options, a net front presence and good puck movement to have an effective PP. The Canucks have all these elements and I expect their PP will once again be a dangerous weapon. It only really struggles when Kesler is out of the lineup. If he's in, it'll do well IMO.

Yeah. I'd like the Sedins to sometimes be willing to set up on the other side, particularly when Kesler is out of the lineup. I know Henrik likes to be on his forehand, but it's not like he shoots it from the sidewall, and nobody defends that shot anyway. On the other side, Daniel and Garrison would both be set up for one-timers. I couldn't believe they didn't try that last year.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
The lack of a PP QB is a gigantic hole on this team. IMO it has to be filled by trade if we're going anywhere this season.

Yannick Weber was dominant in the AHL as PP QB. He might get a good shot at it this year. It's hard to produce in MTl, you guys may just have a guy that will burst out this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad