Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season Game #2: Edmonton Oilers @ Vancouver Canucks || Sept 18/13 @ 7PM Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not sure why people think Tanev and Corrado are competing for a spot.

Teams carry 6 defenders there's plenty of room for both of them. Guys like Weber and Alberts are the ones in trouble based on Corrado's play.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville

Teams carry 6 defenders there's plenty of room for both of them. Guys like Weber and Alberts are the ones in trouble based on Corrado's play.

Just sort of feels like it with their ages. Don't want to be too young on the back end.

But yeah, it's not necessarily a one or the other situation.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008

Given our injury woes, keeping both is a strong possibility.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Tanev is competing for a spot? News to me. He's a lock.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Just sort of feels like it with their ages. Don't want to be too young on the back end.

Tanev's age shouldn't be a concern though. He brings the consistency and reliability of a 10 year vet. He's only going to get better too. Same goes for Corrado in a way - he looks mature and composed beyond his years.

I wouldn't look at moving either one of these guys. Bieksa on the other hand... If Bieksa could bring back a good forward with a more manageable cap hit, it would do wonders for our chances of improving the forward corps.

I actually really like the make up of the top 6 with Corrado in it. Quick puck movement and good outlets from 1 through 6. Will really help the forward group look better than they are.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Doubt too many fans think Corrado and Tanev are competing and those that do probably also think KB3 is competing with them for a spot and Hamhuis is competing with Alberts for a spot:laugh:

Tanev based on his play, waiver status, and contract is a virtual lock to make the team. Only way he doesn't is if he gets hurt or plays his way off the team in the REGULAR SEASON.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Our RH depth is way too weak for a Tanev trade unless it's a packaged deal with us getting the better player + a 3rd pairing RD.

Not sure about this. They could easily move Garrison back to the right side, where he excelled last year. Garrison/Bieksa/Corrado/Weber would be very good depth.

I'm not saying they will trade Tanev, just that it wouldn't surprise me if Gillis is willing to part with Tanev if the right opportunity was there.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

It depends how the Canucks want to structure their D. If they're going to run 3 pairings, then that could well be the case. If not, then Corrado could be down in Utica, especially since he's waiver exempt.

I just think moving forward Tanev is an expendable asset if you need him as part of a trade package.

Personally, I'd prefer to move Bieksa and put Garrison back on the right side if necessary, but Gillis doesn't seem remotely interested in moving Bieksa.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Tanev's age shouldn't be a concern though. He brings the consistency and reliability of a 10 year vet. He's only going to get better too. Same goes for Corrado in a way - he looks mature and composed beyond his years.

I wouldn't look at moving either one of these guys. Bieksa on the other hand... If Bieksa could bring back a good forward with a more manageable cap hit, it would do wonders for our chances of improving the forward corps.

I actually really like the make up of the top 6 with Corrado in it. Quick puck movement and good outlets from 1 through 6. Will really help the forward group look better than they are.

But no one on the team scowls like Bieksa! We'd be losing our most scowliest guy with no one to fill the void. Garrison? Tanev?? HA!

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
He's obviously not going to the minors, but there have been a lot of 'Corrado will make Tanev expendable' comments on here lately. And I don't really get it.

Sort of like how one Sedin makes the other expendable. No need for two when you can have just one.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
if we had a PP QB on the point it could be top 1.

Edler is terrible on the point

Edler has an outstanding shot. That alone makes him a good PP defenseman. Same goes for Garrison - he too doesn't move the puck that well or quickly but the shot makes him dangerous.

You need a few different shooting options, a net front presence and good puck movement to have an effective PP. The Canucks have all these elements and I expect their PP will once again be a dangerous weapon. It only really struggles when Kesler is out of the lineup. If he's in, it'll do well IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad