GDT: Pre-Season '13-'14 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Except this time it will probably be warranted lol...but I hope it doesn't get to that point and Pete doesn't stick with Marty too long assuming Schnieder does outplay him when the games 'count'. Of course for some people even one game is too long, it's kind of insane people are getting on Pete for starting Marty in the opener when he has to play at least one of the first two anyway. If Marty starts both THEN you can get on Pete, but there are too many assumptions around here.

Assumptions are only being made because Deboer has benched guys like Larsson and Fayne in favor of Volchenkov. He's put certain guys in the dog house, while the vets seem to get a free pass.

But I'd like to think he wouldn't want to get fired, so we'll see.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
How did I know BG would be against signing Brunner

I'm not "against" signing Brunner in the least bit, I like his skill set in fact, and think it's HIGHLY complimentary to this Devils team.

It's the price that his agent might be asking of the Devils (given what we speculate) that worries me. You must see that point, no?

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
I'm normally not about getting hyped up with good play in a handful of games, but I've seen enough bad of Volchenkov over the past several years that I want Gelinas on this team over him to start the season

We have not seen a defensemen as young as Gelinas look as comfortable as he has in quite a while

I agree. Gelinas deserves a shot.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Except this time it will probably be warranted lol...but I hope it doesn't get to that point and Pete doesn't stick with Marty too long assuming Schnieder does outplay him when the games 'count'. Of course for some people even one game is too long, it's kind of insane people are getting on Pete for starting Marty in the opener when he has to play at least one of the first two anyway. If Marty starts both THEN you can get on Pete, but there are too many assumptions around here.

I'm not mad Marty is starting the opener. I wouldn't expect anything different. If Marty is playing the next night also, then that BS unless he's really good opening night. None of this sentimentality crap. If Marty plays 50+ games this year then Pete has got him on the entitlement program just like all the vets on defense last year.

The Schneider we've seen so far is the same Schneider I've been following for a few years in Vancouver. Good enough to steal Luongo's starting job, and good enough to steal a 41 year old Brodeur's job. Sorry but that's just the way it is right now. Doesn't mean Marty sucks or is bad, he's just not as good at 41 years old as Schneider is.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm not "against" signing Brunner in the least bit, I like his skill set in fact, and think it's HIGHLY complimentary to this Devils team.

It's the price that his agent might be asking of the Devils (given what we speculate) that worries me. You must see that point, no?

he is on a tryout

its not like hes going to be getting a 5 year $30 million deal from this

my guess is 1 year $2 million

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Assumptions are only being made because Deboer has benched guys like Larsson and Fayne in favor of Volchenkov. He's put certain guys in the dog house, while the vets seem to get a free pass.

But I'd like to think he wouldn't want to get fired, so we'll see.

He should get the axe after the year is up if he pulls that this year and we miss out on a playoff spot. I can see him treating Schneider like Fayne or Larsson after a few bad games. And then I can see Marty stinking up the joint a couple games in a row and when asked if he's going back to Schneider he says ''No we've gotta let Marty just work off the rust. He's our starting goalie''. I like Pete so I hope he does not do that. I can't say I'm super confident in that not happening after some of the stuff we saw last season with the defense. Even some of the stuff with the forwards late in the season like Josefson and Lokti sitting for One Trick Poni who was terrible.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
and I'm not sure how many heard this on the MSG broadcast Monday, but Steve Cango said that Stevens told him prior to the game that he'd love to see a young defensemen make the team

I want to read into that as there is a serious possibility that we'll see that and hopefully with Gelinas

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Marty the other night was pretty terrible. If Schneider played that game, well he probably gives up 2 of those 4 goals Marty gave up. If Marty played either of the games Schneider has played, he probably gives up a couple goals and maybe more if we see the putrid play we saw Thursday.

I love Marty and defend him on here more than most. I don't believe any of this ''Below average'' or ''Bottom 5 starter in the league'' hyperbole, but I do believe Schneider is better. If Schneider is not the #1 goalie this year, we're in trouble IMO. Marty needs to put in a better game on Monday than the one we saw on Thursday. Cause as of right now, Schneider is firmly in the lead as the better goalie from what we've seen so far IMO.

He will. How many goalies have a had a brutal preseason only to be fine when the games start counting? Carey Price comes to mind as a recent example and there are plenty of others. Even Schneider, who most people on this board think can do no wrong, gave up 5 goals on 14 shots in his first game last year (and that one counted). Marty will be fine as long as he stays healthy.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

He came in on a tryout. They won't be giving him the keys to the bank. 1 year, something up to $2 M seems reasonable.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013

I'm sure his price is going to be a lot lower in late September than it was in July. Especially since he had been in contact with the Devils during the summer and came here with an idea of the number they had in mind.
I was inspired by you !:laugh:

just gave it a latin/oracle form.

His PTO was a bad Omen for the eastern conference.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He will. How many goalies have a had a brutal preseason only to be fine when the games start counting? Carey Price comes to mind as a recent example and there are plenty of others. Even Schneider, who most people on this board think can do no wrong, gave up 5 goals on 14 shots in his first game last year (and that one counted). Marty will be fine as long as he stays healthy.

As I've also said recently, Marty is known for having not very strong October's. He has been bad in October since 05-06 aside from a couple years here and there. There's been a lot of games early in years where Marty has looked very bad. Giving up goals just like the ones he gave up the other night. He usually struggles in October.

Last January he was good, but I think that's because he was the closest he could be to January shape without actually playing real hockey yet. They were practicing during the entire lockout.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

Marty staying healthy is a pretty big "If" at this point. Hes consistently missed time the past 3 seasons with various, nagging injuries so the chances of him at the age of 41, surviving a full 82 game campaign without something flaring up are pretty low, to be honest.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Marty staying healthy is a pretty big "If" at this point. Hes consistently missed time the past 3 seasons with various, nagging injuries so the chances of him at the age of 41, surviving a full 82 game campaign without something flaring up are pretty low, to be honest.

Not when Schneider is going to play ~35 games. And if Marty does get hurt we won't have Moose giving away free wins for the other team.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Let's hope Schneider plays more than 35 games. I'm not sure if Marty will be playing good enough to justify starting 45+ games, while Schneider gets 35. I just don't believe it.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Unless Schneider gets hurt there really isn't a justification for Marty starting way more games than him(unless Brodeur goes on a tear).

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Unless Schneider gets hurt there really isn't a justification for Marty starting way more games than him(unless Brodeur goes on a tear).

Yup exactly. I feel like I'm channeling my inner FMASC here with the dismissal of Marty. And that moronic ''Hedberg is better than Brodeur'' crowd of a couple years ago. I don't honestly believe Marty is a below average goaltender, I think he's as good as anyone when he's on. He just doesn't have that consistency anymore which is likely due to spending so much time with injury. He was good for most of 11-12 when he stayed healthy all but the first month of that season.

If we do get a ''Devils need to seriously consider benching Brodeur'' thread then things have likely gone way too far IMO. If Marty is playing so badly that he needs to be benched then hopefully he is before we even see anything like that. Unless Marty is so bad that he can't even hold the fort starting hardly any games, and I don't believe he'll be that bad.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Yup exactly. I feel like I'm channeling my inner FMASC here with the dismissal of Marty. And that moronic ''Hedberg is better than Brodeur'' crowd of a couple years ago. I don't honestly believe Marty is a below average goaltender, I think he's as good as anyone when he's on. He just doesn't have that consistency anymore which is likely due to spending so much time with injury. He was good for most of 11-12 when he stayed healthy all but the first month of that season.

If we do get a ''Devils need to seriously consider benching Brodeur'' thread then things have likely gone way too far IMO. If Marty is playing so badly that he needs to be benched then hopefully he is before we even see anything like that. Unless Marty is so bad that he can't even hold the fort starting hardly any games, and I don't believe he'll be that bad.

He's also old. No one can stop the aging process. It is what it is. We'll see how it plays out. Hopefully there is no controversy about this. There really shouldn't be.

Jossipov

Patty's Better
Oct 7, 2010
Bronx, NY
I think there is a bit of "Cory is the New Toy" going on...which is understandable. It makes me excited too. That said, I think it's a transition, and that is how it will be. Schneider is eventually going to give up a goal (eventually....), he'll have bad games, and Marty will have games where he reminds us all why we'll all cry at his retirement ceremony. They are both awesome.

9868079186_220209cda7.jpg

and most importantly, these are not two goalies fighting for #1....one is a legend who is about to retire. There is no shame in taking a step back to groom the new guy.

TaiMaiShu

Aug 12, 2005
Volch went for some hip checks tonight and whiffed. Got himself way out of position. He stinks.

Nuck fans called him Schneiderman. I can dig it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad