GDT: Pre-Season '13-'14 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Brunner will be in the lineup on Oct. 3. I'm pretty confident in saying that. The way Pete and Elias praised him after the game makes it pretty obvious that he will get inked soon assuming he doesn't want something unreasonable as far as the contract goes. You don't get rid of a player who can bring you instant offense for a team thats going to need all the offensive help it can get.

KohoDonuts88

Sep 6, 2006
New Brunswick
No doubt Schneider will be the better goalie this season. But I have no problem with Marty starting opening night, and he deserves to be treated with respect in what, hopefully, will be his final season.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Schneider has proven to be a very solid number 1 goalie in the NHL but it's unreasonable to expect him to keep playing like this. He will help this team but what we are seeing right now is a hot streak.

You guys don't give Marty enough credit around here. When healthy Marty was solid last year. His game will benefit from Schneider playing 30+ games and if he does get hurt we won't have to witness a repeat of what Moose did last season. But this "Schneider will put up 20 shutouts this year, bench Marty" stuff is ridiculous. Two seasons ago Marty won more playoff games than Schneider has started in his career and you guys are ready to hand Schneider the starting job based on a hot streak in the pre season.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Josefson looks like he's ready to be a regular. He's got a sort of confidence with the puck I haven't really seen from him before. Still don't like how he passes first but he carries the puck and battles a lot more aggressively than he has in the past.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Schneider has proven to be a very solid number 1 goalie in the NHL but it's unreasonable to expect him to keep playing like this. He will help this team but what we are seeing right now is a hot streak.

You guys don't give Marty enough credit around here. When healthy Marty was solid last year. His game will benefit from Schneider playing 30+ games and if he does get hurt we won't have to witness a repeat of what Moose did last season. But this "Schneider will put up 20 shutouts this year, bench Marty" stuff is ridiculous. Two seasons ago Marty won more playoff games than Schneider has started in his career and you guys are ready to hand Schneider the starting job based on a hot streak in the pre season.

Brodeur looked good early on in the season, then he had the injury and came back had a few okay games and tailed off.

Goaltending was horrible last year. No one expects Schneider to do this all year, that won't happen, but I think he'll win out the job. If he doesn't then I'll have some doubts about him to be honest.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
At this point you sign Brunner if nothing more than to ensure he doesn't sign elsewhere in the division.

They actually might have no choice but to sign him with all the nagging injuries and soreness that has gone on so far. If Jagr doesn't start practicing soon, it wouldn't shock me to see him sit out the opener. There gonna need Brunner for depth purposes at the very least.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Two assists actually

Meh...2 assists....1 goal.... bout' the same thing.

people have been obsessed with Brunner for months around here, does this really shock you?

No, it doesnt. And I'm not even disagreeing with peeps necessarily.

I was just commenting on the time-tested HFBoards tradition of "Player X" doing well in Game 1 = Player X is godly.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
From what I saw of the game, Volchenkov and Fayne have been a miserable pairing, and Volch is just a mess

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Brodeur looked good early on in the season, then he had the injury and came back had a few okay games and tailed off.

Goaltending was horrible last year. No one expects Schneider to do this all year, that won't happen, but I think he'll win out the job. If he doesn't then I'll have some doubts about him to be honest.

That's the thing, whether he likes it or not, Schneider being here means Marty's workload will be a lot lighter. We should see the Marty from the beginning of the season again, and for now that's where Schneider's short term value is.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

I was just commenting on the time-tested HFBoards tradition of "Player X" doing well in Game 1 = Player X is godly.

except

he played on Thursday

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013

It was more than the 2 assists. Brunner, Elias, and Yayo were awesome all night. IMO that says more than the numbers in the box score.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Nah, there won't be any of those. But there will likely be another "Bench Marty" thread.

Except this time it will probably be warranted lol...but I hope it doesn't get to that point and Pete doesn't stick with Marty too long assuming Schnieder does outplay him when the games 'count'. Of course for some people even one game is too long, it's kind of insane people are getting on Pete for starting Marty in the opener when he has to play at least one of the first two anyway. If Marty starts both THEN you can get on Pete, but there are too many assumptions around here.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
The issue with those two is a lack of puck moving ability. Fayne is pretty good at it but Volch really struggles.

I'm normally not about getting hyped up with good play in a handful of games, but I've seen enough bad of Volchenkov over the past several years that I want Gelinas on this team over him to start the season

We have not seen a defensemen as young as Gelinas look as comfortable as he has in quite a while

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Marty the other night was pretty terrible. If Schneider played that game, well he probably gives up 2 of those 4 goals Marty gave up. If Marty played either of the games Schneider has played, he probably gives up a couple goals and maybe more if we see the putrid play we saw Thursday.

I love Marty and defend him on here more than most. I don't believe any of this ''Below average'' or ''Bottom 5 starter in the league'' hyperbole, but I do believe Schneider is better. If Schneider is not the #1 goalie this year, we're in trouble IMO. Marty needs to put in a better game on Monday than the one we saw on Thursday. Cause as of right now, Schneider is firmly in the lead as the better goalie from what we've seen so far IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad