0-2 vs Minn.
0-3 vs Pitt.
0-2 vs NJ
0-2 vs Nashville
0-3 vs Dallas

7-16 in last 3 gp (43.75%)
0-12 in prior 5. (Duh!)

Tells me 2 things;

more opportunities lately, and good production ( a whopping 43.75%)vs lesser opponents
AND
Minimal opportunities with lousy execution and results,vs better teams.....sans NJD.

Let's see if we can continue this recent PP success in our upcoming games......
vs Buffalo (last in entire league, a lowly 73.9 PK%, an even lower 71.9% on road)and ZERO shorties!**

@Philly placing 20th, a less than spectacular 80.5%, but better at 83.3% home) and only 2 shorties, in the 2nd of a b2b.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
5th most PP goals in the league

5th best shot/rate on the PP in the league.

Pretty ok I guess

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I find it crazy that any team in the league is passive on the PK...seems like an aggressive PK is ALWAYS more effective than a passive. Yes I guess you are prone to making a bigger mistake being aggressive, but against a good team you can't let players have that much time with the puck.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I find it crazy that any team in the league is passive on the PK...seems like an aggressive PK is ALWAYS more effective than a passive. Yes I guess you are prone to making a bigger mistake being aggressive, but against a good team you can't let players have that much time with the puck.

Passive PK units just give a guy like Ovechkin the perfect opportunity to set up camp and fire away

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I agree with you for the most part especially in the 1st and 3rd periods. Not as much in the 2nd period.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
We run an umbrella PP on a roster that has one capable skater of shooting a one-timer when Pirri isn't in the lineup, and that's Zibanejad. To add further detriments to this PP, the top-man of the unit is a lefty, and it's harder to feed passes to the left-wing as a LHD than it would be for a RHD. Unfortunately, the only RHD that dresses with regularity is Girardi, and, well, we're not putting G on the PP. This is where Clendening could have helped.

Like a lot of things with this team, we have the wrong personnel for the strategies our coaches implement.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If you cant win a offensive faceoff and you cant re-enter a offensive zone you cant have a consistent PP.

Last edited:

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
We run an umbrella PP on a roster that has one capable skater of shooting a one-timer when Pirri isn't in the lineup, and that's Zibanejad. To add further detriments to this PP, the top-man of the unit is a lefty, and it's harder to feed passes to the left-wing as a LHD than it would be for a RHD. Unfortunately, the only RHD that dresses with regularity is Girardi, and, well, we're not putting G on the PP. This is where Clendening could have helped.

Like a lot of things with this team, we have the wrong personnel for the strategies our coaches implement.

It's more like the coaches implement the wrong strategies for the personnel we have.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Absolutely right

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I'm not sure Shattenkirk would magically fix all of our PP issues, but when was the last time we had a RHD who could QB a PP?
It would make a huge difference, especially with the 1-3-1 and allow us the use Zibanejad more as a weapon. Shattenkirk can shoot also.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
The lack of PPQB is one thing, the insistence on dumbing the PP down to "getting the shot through" is another. Getting a lane and throwing the puck on net is fine but it seems like all we do is try and throw it on net. There's nothing happening down low. We have the passers on this team and yet we're going from wing to PMD and D to D all day long. It's on the coaching staff for designing set plays down low. We barely hardly ever utilize the open area of the slot. We throw it to Mac and expect him to see into the 5th dimension and find a play when there's a forward on top of him and no lane to the net.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Please remember we had Yandle, a top 5 PP QB here last year, and guess what. He didn't get enough power play time and then we let him go.

Not sure what Shattenkirk would bring that Yandle couldn't.

You need passers on one side (Zucc/Buch) a guy that can transfer the puck from left to right at the top, and a shooter on the left (more because Zucc and Buch are out best passers. Side doesn't really matter. Guy in the slot in open ice to keep the PKers from cheating and hold them accountable with a shot from the slot if they do.

Our biggest problem was the guy in the middle. We never used him (or he wasn't good enough at making himself a legitimate threat) allowing the pkers to pressure the outside guys, cut down on passing lanes and cheat towards our shooters. Forcing them all closer to the boards in a less dangerous area.

Look at every top power play around the league. That guy in the middle of the PP is always the most dangerous. PKs default to making sure he's covered opening up space for a shooter on the side. If they dont, fine, score from the slot.

Last edited:

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
...so the only time Mika ever scored with one of his slap shots on the PP was in the pre-season game vs. the Islanders?

Jesus Christ.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Lorb and 3rd guy, Those are definitely both issues.

I just think a RHD is more beneficial, especially since we have Zucc, who is a distributor on the right wall and Zibanejad on the left half wall.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
Lorb and 3rd guy, Those are definitely both issues.

I just think a RHD is more beneficial, especially since we have Zucc, who is a distributor on the right wall and Zibanejad on the left half wall.

Sure, it would help. But watch this video and tell me who is the guy opening up passing lanes and relieving/preventing pressure by the PK.

You see it more than a few times. The Pker goes okay let's get aggressive, so they pass to the slot guy and he either shots (and scores) or moves it safely back to the point or another guy on the ice and relieves all the pressure by switching the point of attack.

In almost every other case, Green is free to do what he wants at the point because they are so focused on collapsing tightly to cover Brouwer. Brouwer also opens up passing lanes across ice (although more rarely)

[embed]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PLRTdtQnrlc[/embed]

Part of the reason that no matter the personnel at the point, the results are the same.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Probably should've been playing Buchnevich over Glass. Then you don't have Holden on the ice for the power play. You have a guy who, you know, was successful on the PP this year...

UMpbze9.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad