Potential of Nathan Horton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Potential: 1st line PF in the Tkaczuk mold.
Why he's fallen: He's had a bunch of injuries.

Mr.Brownov*

Anthony Stewart kicked his a$$ in the past.Average fighting potential :propeller

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
A player has to be on the ice to progress. Horton has not been able to do it this far into his career.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Vanman said:
Brett Lindros comes to mind when I think of Horton.
Ditto. With the injuries this early in his career I think he's in trouble. I don't think he will ever reach his potential as a star NHLer and I don't think his career will last long either. Too bad, he could have been a great Canadian power forward.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Seriously, the kid is what 19 years old...give him some time. He is still extremely young and has a crap load of talent. I wouldn't write him off quite yet because of injuries.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Lindros is a bad comparison because the Lindros's seem to be highly prone to concussions, more so than the average human being. Horton's injuries, while severe, have been more random. Bicep, shoulder, concussion. No real pattern there.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Jacobv2 said:
I think Lindros is a bad comparison because the Lindros's seem to be highly prone to concussions, more so than the average human being. Horton's injuries, while severe, have been more random. Bicep, shoulder, concussion. No real pattern there.

I agree. I think sometimes people take injuries to far when they say it hurts player's development. I mean give the kid some time. Look at Regehr for example. The guy has both legs broken in a car accident after being drafted and look at the player he has turned out to be and at a very young age as well. Would I take a chance on Horton, hell yes.

Roger's Pancreas*

Jacobv2 said:

The Nhl is such a tough physical league that he probably got hurt so much trying to match strength with some vets. He'll probably get more durable with age since he hasn't put on all the muscle that he can.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
He has balls is all I know. Last year he stepped up to Vladimir Malakhov when he was a Ranger. Needless to say, Malakhov bent him like a spoon, but I give him credit.

I suppose even with injuries, he can still be an NHLer. For the record, I'm not concerned, and I think he's as legitimate as Michalek (whom no one ever doubts). He just needs to improve conditioning and strength to avoid injuries.

Brett & Eric Lindros were freaks of nature, they were in spectacular shape, but I think it really came down to neck muscles that caused all their injuries.

CoolburnIsGone

For the most part, he's either rushed himself back after injuries or the team rushed him back. Unlike when Kovalchuk had shoulder surgery and he did nothing for months while it healed, Horton was trying to get into shape while the shoulder was healing. Particularly in the AHL, I think the shoulder kept popping out of joint because he didn't properly rest & rehab the previous injury. Now that he'll have some time to let the thing heal...you'll be better able to judge his potential when he returns at full strength.

He still kinda reminds me of less vocal Jeremy Roenick. Both play the game with a lot of emotion which can help and hinder their careers.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Coolburn said:
For the most part, he's either rushed himself back after injuries or the team rushed him back. Unlike when Kovalchuk had shoulder surgery and he did nothing for months while it healed, Horton was trying to get into shape while the shoulder was healing. Particularly in the AHL, I think the shoulder kept popping out of joint because he didn't properly rest & rehab the previous injury. Now that he'll have some time to let the thing heal...you'll be better able to judge his potential when he returns at full strength.

He still kinda reminds me of less vocal Jeremy Roenick. Both play the game with a lot of emotion which can help and hinder their careers.
That's pretty bad development from Florida's standpoint. I distinctly remember last season how he was expected to miss months, but ended up coming back way soon, and lots of fans on these forums questioned the decision. They ended up being right to question.

CoolburnIsGone

Jacobv2 said:
That's pretty bad development from Florida's standpoint. I distinctly remember last season how he was expected to miss months, but ended up coming back way soon, and lots of fans on these forums questioned the decision. They ended up being right to question.
I highly question Florida's medical staff regarding their prospect development in particular. Over two years ago, Filip Novak was misdiagnosed and he kept skating on an ankle that should've had surgery. When he arrived at training camp, it was then re-examined and found to need surgery. That put Novak out for a full season which obviously really hindered his development. Novak seems to want nothing to do with the organization now as it appears he's headed back over to Europe. I can't blame the kid...he left his career in the hands of the org. and they've probably given him little chance of an NHL career.

I think Bouwmeester was probably rushed back too quickly last season too...evident when he struggled in his return and subsequently was sent on a conditioning stint to the AHL. Seems to be a pattern emerging in the organization, doesn't it?

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
Coolburn said:
I highly question Florida's medical staff regarding their prospect development in particular. Over two years ago, Filip Novak was misdiagnosed and he kept skating on an ankle that should've had surgery. When he arrived at training camp, it was then re-examined and found to need surgery. That put Novak out for a full season which obviously really hindered his development. Novak seems to want nothing to do with the organization now as it appears he's headed back over to Europe. I can't blame the kid...he left his career in the hands of the org. and they've probably given him little chance of an NHL career.
Its not that Novak doesn't want anything to do with the organization. Its that he doesn't want anything to do with Keenan, and supposedly isn't alone.

Lauser3*

ClashCitiRockr said:
Its not that Novak doesn't want anything to do with the organization. Its that he doesn't want anything to do with Keenan, and supposedly isn't alone.

Or more appropriately, Keenan wants nothing to with him and Novak figures he's better off playing in Europe than staying in an organization that likely won't let him play in the NHL. Especially since he's already 23 years old and hasn't played in a single NHL game and has had a rough time coming back from that last big injury...he struggled this season and that's only going to get him another year in the AHL. Much like Sapozhnikov knew he wasn't going anywhere either so he too opted to go back to the motherland. Laters. again

Lauser3*

Mr.Brownov said:
Anthony Stewart kicked his a$$ in the past.Average fighting potential :propeller

More like below average fighting potential...unless he's fighting a nonfighter (Martin Tuma). The kid is definitely a spot picker but probably didn't know Vlad's rep...probably figured that since the guy wore a visor (a requirement for a prospective Horton opponent in the NHL), he might be able to take. Boy was he wrong. Stewart made a name for himself after that fight too despite it only being his 1st or 2nd crap in his OHL career. Funny stuff.

As for the Lindros-Horton comparisons, I think they are not very similar in the least. Horton (who is not really a favorite of mine) showed more promise in the NHL than Brett Lindros...who was more concerned with fighting when he came up to the NHL...which led to the numerous concussions and eventual early retirement.

Horton's a poor man's Jeremy Roenick (Nate's favorite player if I'm not mistaken either) but not as tough...and I'm sure these shoulder injuries will have an effect in his overall game/career. Too bad because the kid was showing promise prior to the initial injury. Hopefully he can at least heal and make a longer career than Brett Lindros at least. Only time will tell. Laters.

Clash*

Jan 18, 2003
Lauser3 said:
Or more appropriately, Keenan wants nothing to with him and Novak figures he's better off playing in Europe than staying in an organization that likely won't let him play in the NHL. Especially since he's already 23 years old and hasn't played in a single NHL game and has had a rough time coming back from that last big injury...he struggled this season and that's only going to get him another year in the AHL. Much like Sapozhnikov knew he wasn't going anywhere either so he too opted to go back to the motherland. Laters. again
Wow, someone again speakin from a place he has no knowledge of. Its funny that my words came straight from the mouth of Novak. I'm sure its the same with you on every prospect in San Antonio who voiced the same opinion tho, since Keenan is your god. Can't blasphemy your god.

Lauser3*

ClashCitiRockr said:
Wow, someone again speakin from a place he has no knowledge of. Its funny that my words came straight from the mouth of Novak. I'm sure its the same with you on every prospect in San Antonio who voiced the same opinion tho, since Keenan is your god. Can't blasphemy your god.

Wait...was it you or not who clearly stated you heard this from someone (girlfriend/groupie perhaps?) close to Novak on the Panthers board? If so, then you didn't get it straight from the mouth of Novak like you are now claiming...hence, it's called "hearsay" (combination of rumor and truth and obtained indirectly, not directly). Now...if you are this great "insider," what other players/prospects from San Antonio have voiced their opinions on Keenan in a negative light? Hmmm? Yeah, I didn't think so...Laters.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Horton has the potential to be a top power forward in the league, but I am starting to think he is injury prone. With his history of injuries this has to have the team worried.

2003-2004 Shoulder surgery in 2004 with Panthers.

2004-2005 - San Antonio - plays 22 games and misses remander of the Season due to injury

Lauser3 said:
More like below average fighting potential...unless he's fighting a nonfighter (Martin Tuma). The kid is definitely a spot picker but probably didn't know Vlad's rep...probably figured that since the guy wore a visor (a requirement for a prospective Horton opponent in the NHL), he might be able to take. Boy was he wrong. Stewart made a name for himself after that fight too despite it only being his 1st or 2nd crap in his OHL career. Funny stuff.

Visors are mandatory in the CHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad