Seravalli: Potential for Tyler Myers to San Jose (for Kevin Labanc?)

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Edmundson is likely a 2nd at 50%. He'll fetch that at the deadline, though that forces a lot of kids to play lesser roles until then.

Savard would likely be expensive, since he's a rare RD who is a leader on D. He'll eventually fetch a first as a rental. Unlike Edmundson he isn't surplus to requirements.
What about an unretained Edmundson?

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Again, I do not believe this would be a dump move. Grier would be giving up assets, which we don't want.
You can’t be serious... Grier would be targeting Myers as a cap dump move so Vancouver would be adding a sweetener and SJ would be giving up future considerations or possibly a contract spot. The question is what’s the value of a 6M 1yr dump? I’d think at least a 2nd

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
That would be dumb for the Sharks. If the Canucks think Myers goes for a second at the deadline then they should hold on to him until then. Something like the Canuck's 4th and Myers for a Sharks 5th would make sense. The Sharks have more leverage here, and I think Grier would demand compensation.
Canucks accept.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Is he a little overpaid? Yes
Do you overpay for RHD with size? Yes
Is he a legit NHL Defenseman? Yes

Myers can play second pairing with a better partner, he just can't carry the 2nd pairing.
Is he a legit NHL Defenseman? No, unless you want AHL caliber D playing in your top 4. I take Hirose, McWard, Bear, Juulsen, Boroughs etc. Over this pylon

LBCANUCK

Jun 26, 2012
You can’t be serious... Grier would be targeting Myers as a cap dump move so Vancouver would be adding a sweetener and SJ would be giving up future considerations or possibly a contract spot. The question is what’s the value of a 6M 1yr dump? I’d think at least a 2nd
Canucks arent giving up a 2nd for Myers, that would be a dumb move. This is his last year and they could just retain 50 percent at the deadline and get an asset rather than give one up.

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
Myers is a pure cap dump at this point.

He is the chaos giraffe for a reason
Maybe, but he’s only paid $1 million in salary so he’s a great option for a budget team that doesn’t have cap issues. There might still be some dinosaur GMs that value his size, draft pedigree, Calder, and because he’s a RD.

Reactions: DJB

LBCANUCK

Jun 26, 2012
Plus the canucks already have two d positions to fill if they sign ian cole so they would need a plan if they moved Myers.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Maybe, but he’s only paid $1 million in salary so he’s a great option for a budget team that doesn’t have cap issues. There might still be some dinosaur GMs that value his size, draft pedigree, Calder, and because he’s a RD.
$5 million dollar bonus though paid in September I believe

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Plus the canucks already have two d positions to fill if they sign ian cole so they would need a plan if they moved Myers.
Im sure the sharks could send back a depth defender in the deal. Someone like Jacob Mcdonald would be a pretty great bottom pair guy for you very cheap

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
trade him for a 6th and a ahl depth dman and call it a day. a win for vancouver more cap space/
Exactly, that would be a huge win for Vancouver if they could pull that off. Now to reality, what team would offer that? I'm leaning towards none. Be real, Bailey cost the islanders a 2nd to move him to Chicago and he was paid 1 mil less. Expect a nice sweetener to ba added to Myers to move him.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Exactly, that would be a huge win for Vancouver if they could pull that off. Now to reality, what team would offer that? I'm leaning towards none. Be real, Bailey cost the islanders a 2nd to move him to Chicago and he was paid 1 mil less. Expect a nice sweetener to ba added to Myers to move him.
I don’t think so. Myers is a right handed Defenseman (a serviceable one at that) and is massive. He has value, he’s just overpaid by about 1-2 million. He’d fetch 4-5 million in the open market right now I’m sure.

Reactions: David71

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm not worried about Myers to San Jose until Karlsson gets moved. Myers would be a fine add to eat minutes the youth can't handle and take the losses like Benning is. Issue is that there's no guarantee that the Karlsson trade doesn't return a replacement RHD to fill that spot anyway. We'll see. Beyond that, the Sharks say they're not buying anyone out so that means they'll still have Vlasic, Benning, Simek, Ferraro, Knyzhov, MacDonald, and Thrun that finished the season on the pro roster with Mukhamadullin knocking on the door.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Exactly why i dont see why Canucks should trade Myers now.

Any smart, non playoff team should be lining up to trade for Myers now or September.

-Get a sweetener from Canucks
-Flip Tyler Myers at Trade Deadline.

This isnt our first rodeo, we all know what someone like Tyler Myers can fetch at the trade deadline. Big Dmen are the cream of the crop come March. It shouldnt come as asurprise to anyone if Myers gets a 2nd or even a conditional 1st at the TDL. Far worse Dmen have obtained such.
Which far worse dmen than Myers fetched a first in the last two deadlines?

mc1laren

Jun 18, 2018
Unless its done after the signing bonus is paid. 6m cap hit with 1m in cash, prolly worth a 4th/5th

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Unless its done after the signing bonus is paid. 6m cap hit with 1m in cash, prolly worth a 4th/5th
Then Grier probably wouldn't be interested. A rebuilding team doesn't give up assets for a cap dump. He can sign someone in free agency for cheaper that's better. Only way the sharks are interested is if it's helping the future

Frankie Blueberries

Dream Team
Jan 27, 2016
I'm not worried about Myers to San Jose until Karlsson gets moved. Myers would be a fine add to eat minutes the youth can't handle and take the losses like Benning is. Issue is that there's no guarantee that the Karlsson trade doesn't return a replacement RHD to fill that spot anyway. We'll see. Beyond that, the Sharks say they're not buying anyone out so that means they'll still have Vlasic, Benning, Simek, Ferraro, Knyzhov, MacDonald, and Thrun that finished the season on the pro roster with Mukhamadullin knocking on the door.
If you guys are continuing the tank and going for 1st overall in 2024, you should absolutely trade for Myers as your tank commander. He has done exceptionally well at this in recent years. Dumb as a rock and takes an absurd amount of stupid penalties.

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If you guys are continuing the tank and going for 1st overall in 2024, you should absolutely trade for Myers as your tank commander. He has done exceptionally well at this in recent years. Dumb as a rock and takes an absurd amount of stupid penalties.
It wouldn't surprise me if he's on their radar but it's only if they move Karlsson. It'll be a treat for those who love watching awful things to have a blue line that looks like this...

Vlasic-Myers
Ferraro-Benning
Knyzhov-Simek

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
It wouldn't surprise me if he's on their radar but it's only if they move Karlsson. It'll be a treat for those who love watching awful things to have a blue line that looks like this...

Vlasic-Myers
Ferraro-Benning
Knyzhov-Simek

I'm shuddering at the thought, the only one I recognize having a solid impact there is Ferraro...and maybe Simek but I don't know enough about him recently to know how he's been just that I liked him a few years ago.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm shuddering at the thought, the only one I recognize having a solid impact there is Ferraro...and maybe Simek but I don't know enough about him recently to know how he's been just that I liked him a few years ago.
Ferraro has been pretty bad since his rookie season. Simek always gets hurt but is otherwise an inconsistent 3rd pairing guy. It'd be pretty bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad