Seravalli: Potential for Tyler Myers to San Jose (for Kevin Labanc?)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Is he a little overpaid? Yes
Do you overpay for RHD with size? Yes
Is he a legit NHL Defenseman? Yes

Myers can play second pairing with a better partner, he just can't carry the 2nd pairing.
Did Myers win the Calder? Yes
Is Myers really tall? Yes
Is his neck larger than most? Yes
Is he a better hockey player than most HFBoards members? Yes
Can he reach the pick from far away? Yes

Someonell take those unique characteristics

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Don't see the point in moving him at this point after the OEL buyout. All they would be doing is creating another hole to overpay in free agency. Unless there's another trade moving a winger for a different RHD then just sit tight on the giraffe.

Reactions: Siludin

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Wouldn't his NTC also be a potential issue?

Yeah. I'd certainly wonder if that's the snag.

1)Why would Myers want to go to a tanking team when he can control his destiny far more than that?

2)Imagine how much his sunblock budget would skyrocket. Going from rainy grey Vancouver, to even NorCal. With that many square meters of neck area to cover for a fair skinned giraffe such as himself.

What a could have been, if "hockey guys" would have let him just be a slick skating offensive defensemen who happened to be tall. Instead of defaulting to "big guy go crunch".

Just imagine, if he any sort of reliable offensive sense! What could have been!

In truth, some places did basically let him try to be that, and it generally went better for them than the alternative. But he has some of the most erratic decision-making in the league and always really has. Whether that's offensively, defensively, sometimes it doesn't even have anything to do with the play whatsoever and he just goes off to chase a butterfly or something.

Myers was decent as a Jet

This is the thing. We all like to poke fun at Myers because he's a goofy massively overpaid player...but if you actually have a pair of clearly better RHD (Trouba, prime Buff) ahead of him to make sure he's not asked to do too much, he could probably still be a serviceable bottom-pairing D who can even eat more than your typical bottom-pairing minutes. But that's a pretty rare situation. Especially rare to somehow have that option and $6M of cap to blow on that "luxury bottom-pairing chaos giraffe".

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Grier played with Myers for two years. His best two years. Guess he didn’t keep up much with him after that.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
To Canucks
6th round pick

To Sharks
Myers

---------

Grier then flips Myers for a 2nd rnd pick or better at trade deadline.

is that a good reason?
That would be dumb for the Sharks. If the Canucks think Myers goes for a second at the deadline then they should hold on to him until then. Something like the Canuck's 4th and Myers for a Sharks 5th would make sense. The Sharks have more leverage here, and I think Grier would demand compensation.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Exactly why i dont see why Canucks should trade Myers now.

Any smart, non playoff team should be lining up to trade for Myers now or September.

-Get a sweetener from Canucks
-Flip Tyler Myers at Trade Deadline.

This isnt our first rodeo, we all know what someone like Tyler Myers can fetch at the trade deadline. Big Dmen are the cream of the crop come March. It shouldnt come as asurprise to anyone if Myers gets a 2nd or even a conditional 1st at the TDL. Far worse Dmen have obtained such.
A 2nd or even a 1st? lmao. Luke Schenn was on the same team, was a much better player, was signed for 1/5th the cap hit, is a stanley cup champion, didn't even get that at the last deadline.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I asked AI to envision Tyler Myers playing for the San Jose Sharks:

5B7A6F1E-9B84-4452-BD96-2DA1880C4845.png

E8A8F8F9-029C-45E2-A4D4-EF290A4EBCFF.png

5C94C6E9-AEF0-4D13-B734-BABA30BF16E3.png

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
A 2nd or even a 1st? lmao. Luke Schenn was on the same team, was a much better player, was signed for 1/5th the cap hit, is a stanley cup champion, didn't even get that at the last deadline.

Luke Schenn played a limited role for the Canucks that suited him. He led the league in hits because the Canucks never had the puck when he was on the ice.

I dont like Tyler Myers, but i can tell you that he is a way better and useful player than Luke Schenn. Especially in a 7 game series. However, the Canucks used Myers in a shut down top pairing role often vs the others teams best player which resulted in disaster and chaos.

If a team uses him as a 3rd pairing guy who can jump into a 3/4 role in a pinch and can also PK,he would be an asset,

he is going to be valuable at the TDL.

We have seen it time and time again yet every Trade Deadline people are shocked at some of the return assets for players that HFboard deems as useless.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Wouldn't his NTC also be a potential issue?

Not overly, he has a modified so he can submit a limited list of teams. But it’s not a NMC, so the idea is you can say we can just as easily waive you down to the minors and maybe a team that you have zero interest in going to picks you up.

It’s mutually beneficial in this way to work on a trade together. Big RD are an overvalued commodity so there’ll be 1 team at least that will take him. Problem is this threat wouldn’t be carried out til training camp starts…or maybe the season. Not up on my CBA smarts.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Luke Schenn played a limited role for the Canucks that suited him. He led the league in hits because the Canucks never had the puck when he was on the ice.

I dont like Tyler Myers, but i can tell you that he is a way better and useful player than Luke Schenn. Especially in a 7 game series. However, the Canucks used Myers in a shut down top pairing role often vs the others teams best player which resulted in disaster and chaos.

If a team uses him as a 3rd pairing guy who can jump into a 3/4 role in a pinch and can also PK,he would be an asset,

he is going to be valuable at the TDL.

We have seen it time and time again yet every Trade Deadline people are shocked at some of the return assets for players that HFboard deems as useless.
Luke Schenn was also the Leafs 2nd best d-man once he became a regular in the lineup down the stretch and into the playoffs where he played tough minutes. Myers would definitely falter in that role.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
This is the thing. We all like to poke fun at Myers because he's a goofy massively overpaid player...but if you actually have a pair of clearly better RHD (Trouba, prime Buff) ahead of him to make sure he's not asked to do too much, he could probably still be a serviceable bottom-pairing D who can even eat more than your typical bottom-pairing minutes. But that's a pretty rare situation. Especially rare to somehow have that option and $6M of cap to blow on that "luxury bottom-pairing chaos giraffe".
I want him gone as much as the next guy, but as somebody who has watched every single Canucks game Tyler Myers has played in... he's really not that bad. In fact, he's genuinely a decent NHL defenseman.

Simply overpaid, and slotted in way too high in the lineup. I would think even Jet Black Jim Benning was expecting more out of Myers, but he's been a pretty good leader in the locker room for the younger guys, and 6'8 RHD just do not grow on trees. Even wildly chaotic ones.

Wish he were steadier, but he's nowhere near as bad as the narrative around him has become.
This guy could easily be a piece of a championship D-corps in the right situation. Like, if he were a lower cap hit, further down in the lineup, we'd all be saying he was a Las Vegas Golden Badboy like the rest of 'em.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad