Speculation: Potential destinations for Grubauer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
It's not overpayment. It's value pretty much in line with what similar goaltenders have received in past years (Andersen, Jones, Schneider, Varlamov, even Lehner). There are multiple teams with picks in this range looking for goaltending. If the Islanders aren't willing to give up the 12th pick, that's fine (the 12th is on the upper end of the range of what would be reasonable to pay for Grubby), but don't think that the Capitals would then be obligated to take the #41 from the Islanders. The Capitals can easily turn to Philadelphia (14, 19), Ottawa (22), St Louis (29), Detroit (30, 33, 36), and Buffalo (32) to see what they would offer.

The only "fantasy" here is that the Islanders will be able to land Grubauer for less than the #12. If the Islanders don't want to give up pick #12, they aren't likely to be the winner of the Grubauer sweepstakes. Not hard to understand.

If Ottawa uses their 4th overall pick they will definitely be looking at improving their biggest weakness of last year, where they gave up the second most goals (Islanders were the worst).
They won't want Colorado's pick to end up being a high one.
I could see them trading their second 1st (Pittsburgh's) for Grubauer.
They don't have good goalie depth within their organization either and Anderson isn't getting any younger and is coming off a bad year.

If Ottawa lets Colorado have their pick this year they will be in full tank mode and wouldn't pursue Grubauer or any other goalie upgrade.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I think Lou may be setting his sights even higher. He has the cap space, the assets, and the authority to land an even bigger fish. Think Holtby over Grubauer, or some other A-list starter from a team with a replacement ready to step up.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Lou is bold. I wonder if he's bold enough to say "nah" on trading the #11/12 pick and sending over an offer sheet instead. Anything less than $4m is only a 2nd round pick. Why wouldn't he? Is it basically just 1) potentially missing an opportunity because the draft is 9 days before free agency and 2) potentially pissing off BMac? If I were him, I'd consider it strongly.
Islanders don't own their own 2019 pick so no can do. With Trotz on board, Isles have better insight on Grubauer than many other teams. Whether that makes them more or less likely to move the first is an open question. What's certain is that Lou has had an incredible track record in finding goalies. I'll trust him on this, whatever he does.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Andersen also had a very respectable playoff record(at least for 2 of his 3 years), nothing in Grubauer short playoff record this season instills confidence in him to me

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...ns-for-grubauer.2502845/page-8#post-146960769

Andersen

SeasonTeamGPGSWLTOTSAGAGAASSv%SOMIN
2013-2014ANA7732----189193.10170.8990368
2014-2015ANA1616115----472412.34431.91311,050
2015-2016ANA5532----13271.41125.9471297
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Philipp Grubauer Stats and News

Grubauer

SeasonTeamGPGSWLTOTSAGAGAASSv%SOMIN
2014-2015WSH1110----2133.0018.857060
2016-2017WSH1000----926.467.778019
2017-2018WSH2201----4984.5741.8370105
Career-4311----79134.2466.8350184
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
I would argue that is the difference of the 30th pick vs 30th pick and a 2nd rounder

4 games? You are arguing that 4 games is the telltale sign? Or more specifically....79 shots? Which is really 2.5 games, based on usual NHL shot tallies.

Thats like classifying you for 2 days of work. Silly.

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
I think Lou may be setting his sights even higher. He has the cap space, the assets, and the authority to land an even bigger fish. Think Holtby over Grubauer, or some other A-list starter from a team with a replacement ready to step up.
Bobrovsky perhaps?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Lou is bold. I wonder if he's bold enough to say "nah" on trading the #11/12 pick and sending over an offer sheet instead. Anything less than $4m is only a 2nd round pick. Why wouldn't he? Is it basically just 1) potentially missing an opportunity because the draft is 9 days before free agency and 2) potentially pissing off BMac? If I were him, I'd consider it strongly.

All well and good...except that the Isles dont have their 2nd round pick. So....cannot happen

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

2 things:

1. No chance on Holtby getting traded. like, zero.

2. Ok... I will bite. Which teams fit that bill, exactly?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I would do this. 46OA and Grubauer for 12OA

Yeah but having the Isles still get back a 1st rounder (even though it's the last one in the draft) is a much easier sell psychologically.

12 + 4th rounder for Grubauer + 31 would be fine with me, then hope McLellan gets over his goalie draft boner and pulls a 1st round caliber skater with the 46

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
4 games? You are arguing that 4 games is the telltale sign? Or more specifically....79 shots? Which is really 2.5 games, based on usual NHL shot tallies.

Thats like classifying you for 2 days of work. Silly.

My point is Andersen is the high point of what the Caps should expect back(very low first, a mid 2nd)

As I shown above if Caps want the 12th, I run to Detroit and say you know what the 2nd doesn't look so bad, especially when you take Greiss back

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah but having the Isles still get back a 1st rounder (even though it's the last one in the draft) is a much easier sell psychologically.

12 + 4th rounder for Grubauer + 31 would be fine with me, then hope McLellan gets over his goalie draft ***** and pulls a 1st round caliber skater with the 46

I think Caps can do better than that. I'd rather them have 2 picks in the 1st (so, say 25 ish and the 31) than the 12. With Mahoney making the picks, I honestly beleive they would get 2 studs...3 if you include the 46th.

I totally get the fascination with the 12th. But I'd rather sell Grubauer to someone that will give us an Andersen type return (late first and mid 2nd).

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Just curious, what exactly are Caps fans looking for from Detroit, Colorado, Chicago, Carolina?

For the Islanders, it's consistently been "give us 12th overall or get lost". Does this ultimatum apply to Carolina (2nd overall), Detroit (6th overall) or Chicago (8th overall), where they have to pay a high 1st rounder, minimum, to land Grabauer? One of those high 1st rounders with Washington giving back pick 31?

Or is it accepted that those picks are "too rich", and Caps fans are willing to explore other options with those teams?

Either way, this whole thing feels like a movie theater. Everyone else gets special kids prices and only has to pay $7 for a ticket, but we're required to pay as an adult and pony up $23 to sit in the same seat and watch the same movie. God forbid any other team pay a high 1st rounder for Grabauer.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I think it's been explained but the high price for the isles of 12th overall is likely due to the isles being in division. It's also probably the highest the Caps could conceivably get because Isles happen to have two picks and they may be tempted to trade one for a good roster player to compete now. For Chicago and Detroit, they would be looking at late firsts, or early 2nds, again because they aren't division rivals.

But watch none of this be the case and he ends up on Long Island for a pair of 2nds. Who knows. I'm thinking they get a 1st though, and Islanders likely gotta give up 12.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
But watch none of this be the case and he ends up on Long Island for a pair of 2nds. Who knows. I'm thinking they get a 1st though, and Islanders likely gotta give up 12.

I'm wondering whether the Caps want to deal with the Islanders at all. I mean, the hiring of Trotz raises the stakes for sure.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
2 things:

1. No chance on Holtby getting traded. like, zero.

2. Ok... I will bite. Which teams fit that bill, exactly?

I don't know, that's for Lou the goaltending maven to identify. But I do know there are more than 31 great goalies in the world. There's bound to be a team or two that have one ready to step up, allowing them to trade the ace for significant assets, and use the unloaded cap space elsewhere. It's prudent asset management, if a team believes in the replacement. Holtby is just one example. Caps love Grubauer, they just can't afford to pay him. If they can keep emotions out of it, trading Holtby might be the smarter move.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Brayden's going nowhere. What other A list starter do you think could be had?

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Brayden's going nowhere. What other A list starter do you think could be had?

Lou traded a 30 overall for Andersen (it’s arguable that he got away w it cuz of the Vegas draft etc), but I doubt he would trade a 12OA for Grubauer lol. That 30th was sam steel, what could the 12OA bring esp in this draft. No way they’re getting Holtby, but what about the 12OA and sorokin for a different surefire starter.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Just curious, what exactly are Caps fans looking for from Detroit, Colorado, Chicago, Carolina?
I think you're mainly looking at 22 (OTT), 27 (CHI), 30 (DET) or perhaps 32 (BUF), 33 (DET) or 36 (DET). Detroit has plenty of ammo. Ottawa & Chicago may have the motive. Colorado has also been mentioned but 16 outright might be a bit early.

Whether the Caps would prefer to bundle Grubauer with 31 for 12 may revolve around who's left on the board and just how well they like the depth likely available between 22-31. If Boqvist or Kravtsov are available, I'd swap up for 12. The Caps will take whatever the market bears but NYI probably are in the driver's seat if they really want him.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016

It would have to be quite a haul the Caps would be getting back for Holtby.
Telling their fan base that has endured so much to finally win the cup, that has already just lost their coach, may be losing their best defenseman on July 1st that they are now also losing their cup winning goalie (who took over after Grubauer had lost the first two games) to a divisional rival would be a very tough pill to swallow.

From Tavares position though if Lou wants to show Tavares that they are all in this would be a good way to do that.

Maybe Rinne would be a better fit though.
Nashville has Saros that they are very high on and don't have either a first or a second this year.
So a first and a second for Rinne, maybe with a 2 year extension might work.

I can't think of any other teams with a backup who is ready to be "the guy" though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad