Post-Game Talk: Post Trade Deadline Thread

Englishcoyote

Jun 15, 2015
Manchester, England
It's the cap. Nobody had room and given cap flatlining it puts a lot of teams in trouble for summer with RFA's; never mind getting a UFA who wants big $ and term. If Boedker has the Mueller impact 20 points in first 15 games the Avs will have to find a way to sign him but there are long term cap consequences that would come with that.

Think we can take advantage of the teams near the cap ceiling and pick off a couple of real A+ players.... But in return the selling teams will want low salary contract prospects so we're talking of perlini, martinook, merkerley and Samuelson to name a few so it's a double edged sword

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

I'm coming around to agree with you simply because I don't see any FA's that I'd rather pick up for our defense and I don't want to give up any of our young forward talent in a trade.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
They must have gotten a little bit of Colorado's newest cash crop in the trade and lit some up.

lolwut we've already played over 75% of the season, and only have 60 points. When Maloney and co. mentioned similar comments in the post-deadline videos, I assumed it was just lip service for the casual fans, which is understandable. Now, I'm honestly starting to believe they think they're going to make a push for the playoffs, which is a little disconcerting.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Maloney & Company have to say that to keep fans showing up. They deep down know they are out of it. I mean how in the hell are the Yotes going to win 15+ of the next 19 games? And with this roster! It would be the great comeback in the history of sports.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Maloney & Company have to say that to keep fans showing up. They deep down know they are out of it. I mean how in the hell are the Yotes going to win 15+ of the next 19 games? And with this roster! It would be the great comeback in the history of sports.

The flaw I've always found with this line of thinking is it assumes the fans are paying attention to random quotes from Maloney & Co. Most fans listening that closely probably know what's going on anyway.

I'm not saying they should do the opposite and go around saying how terrible they are trying to be but just play it closer to the vest. It would be less insulting.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
lolwut we've already played over 75% of the season, and only have 60 points. When Maloney and co. mentioned similar comments in the post-deadline videos, I assumed it was just lip service for the casual fans, which is understandable. Now, I'm honestly starting to believe they think they're going to make a push for the playoffs, which is a little disconcerting.

I really think they believe it or want to believe it. Remember how last year was a playoff team on paper? They were genuinely shocked when it was a train wreck!

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The flaw I've always found with this line of thinking is it assumes the fans are paying attention to random quotes from Maloney & Co. Most fans listening that closely probably know what's going on anyway.

I'm not saying they should do the opposite and go around saying how terrible they are trying to be but just play it closer to the vest. It would be less insulting.

Right. That sort of blind optimism might play to the casual fan who only gets his Coyotes news on sports radio. People who actively follow the team aren't going to be fooled. But it's only the people who follow the team that are going to ever hear that clip. I really think they believe they can make chicken salad from chicken #. "It worked once, therefor always". It's their motto.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Right. That sort of blind optimism might play to the casual fan who only gets his Coyotes news on sports radio.

Those folks don't exist because (a) Phoenix sports radio doesn't talk about the Coyotes except occasionally in the hourly news updates and when they're forced to talk to Doan, Tippett, or Maloney, and (b) the "casual" Phoenix fan doesn't bother to go to games or listen to sports radio, they just catch a bit of a game on the TV. :laugh:

Maloney was speaking directly to the room and the players, and more specifically to Shane Doan. Doan is having a career year and Maloney is terrified that he's going to prejudice him from resigning with the Coyotes if he doesn't retire. It's why he didn't trade "character" guys like Chipchura and Grossmann, too. The last thing Maloney wanted to convey to the players was that he was going to give up on the season and maximize assets, because while that appeals greatly to us who have no skin in the game outside of fandom and ticket purchases, that does not appeal at all to the guys who do this as a job.

Maloney wants his room to stay positive, partially because of the young guys so they won't fall into bad habits and attitudes, but mostly because the quality of the room is literally one of GMDM's only marketable assets to future FA and prospects who he needs to sign to contracts. So he maintains the fiction that they're still competitive even though it's clearly no longer the case.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Would a 2-3 year deal for Hamhuis make sense?

I'm interested in Hamhuis but I don't see where he fits. Are we playing him on the second pairing LHD? I think we need more offense from that slot and I don't think Hamhuis can provide it. Also doesn't fit as the 3rd pairing LHD because we're already overstocked there with KConn, Tinordi, and Dahlbeck.

I'd love to add both Shattenkirk (Hanzal+Stone) and Yandle (UFA).

OEL - Shattenkirk
Yandle - Murphy
Tinordi - Michalek
KConn

No real preferences yet for a UFA 2nd line RW.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Those folks don't exist because (a) Phoenix sports radio doesn't talk about the Coyotes except occasionally in the hourly news updates and when they're forced to talk to Doan, Tippett, or Maloney, and (b) the "casual" Phoenix fan doesn't bother to go to games or listen to sports radio, they just catch a bit of a game on the TV. :laugh:

Maloney was speaking directly to the room and the players, and more specifically to Shane Doan. Doan is having a career year and Maloney is terrified that he's going to prejudice him from resigning with the Coyotes if he doesn't retire. It's why he didn't trade "character" guys like Chipchura and Grossmann, too. The last thing Maloney wanted to convey to the players was that he was going to give up on the season and maximize assets, because while that appeals greatly to us who have no skin in the game outside of fandom and ticket purchases, that does not appeal at all to the guys who do this as a job.

Maloney wants his room to stay positive, partially because of the young guys so they won't fall into bad habits and attitudes, but mostly because the quality of the room is literally one of GMDM's only marketable assets to future FA and prospects who he needs to sign to contracts. So he maintains the fiction that they're still competitive even though it's clearly no longer the case.

Totally Agree. Trading Gordon/Chip/Grossman for 6th or 7th round picks would have sent the wrong message to the team. Those late picks amount to nothing anyway. Culture is way more important and very difficult to change when it sets in the wrong way. This is why even though the Oilers picked up McJesus, maybe the best player drafted in the last 10 years, and the team is not any better materially point wise. That culture will take a while to change. We don't want to be in that position as a team with 7 rookies and more coming. Most fans on this board want us to have losses the next 20 games so we can draft Mathews. if we tank that hard, it will not be fixed by mathews, it would kill our culture.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Oh God, don't bring back the Tippett and Maloney are infallible otherwise we'd be the Oilers arguement. Fun fact, our defense is worse than the Oilers.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
NYR1st + ??? = Drouin.

I feel that part of the reason we were always left wanting more with Boedker was because his development curve was screwed up. He should've spent more time in junior and then, if necessary, the AHL after that. He was rushed. I think Drouin has been rushed as well. He came to the NHL too early. By the time the draft comes around, it'll have been nearly 6 months since he's played a hockey game, and a time of critical development years. Skilled player no doubt, but I'd prefer to pass.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Oh God, don't bring back the Tippett and Maloney are infallible otherwise we'd be the Oilers arguement. Fun fact, our defense is worse than the Oilers.

Think of how much better the Oilers would be with Chip and Grossman, though. A guy like Gordon would probably put them over the top.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Think of how much better the Oilers would be with Chip and Grossman, though. A guy like Gordon would probably put them over the top.
They already had Gordon, didn't work out so well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad